Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good call Dennis... probably well worth the piece of mind.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess, and this is purely a hunch, is that the phantom leaks and losses of coolant may be at the tee-connector. I think this thing just slowly oozes coolant out the compression joints over time... vs. the catastrophic dumping of coolant whenever the pipes burst.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

I'm think that's very possible. My mechanic agrees. I'm having the connector as well as the pipes replaced with the metal upgrades. I'm glad I'm getting it done before a catastrophic failure.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Looks like we're about to join the coolant pipe replacement club. The Cayenne displayed the dreaded low coolant warning today. It has no signs of a leak at all. I don't smell coolant, I can't see any leaks, and it's only a little bit low. However, I feel that at roughly 92,000 miles, I've been lucky not to have an issue yet. The car goes in tomorrow to have the new winter wheels and tires installed, and so I've scheduled the coolant pipe (and plastic "T" connector) replacement while it's in the shop.
I thought the "T" connector was only on the turbos?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Good point, and you're right - I didn't notice this until I just saw Dennis' signature line. I assumed he had a CTT. Dennis - do let us know how much your mechanic charges to fix your tee...

This blows my theory above, BTW.

So allow me to postulate another: THEORY TWO - the plastic coolant pipes develop hairline fractures over time, that allow a small amount of leaking; this small amount of coolant instantly evaporates as it hits the 200-degree engine block in the valley, so you don't really see or smell a lot of coolant; maybe a few drips the first day, then a spoonful on a longer drive, etc. Not enough to be very noticeable, but enough to drop the reservoir over several weeks.

Then, over time, as the pressure in the pipes and the heat from their placement compound the problem, the tiny hairline fracture steadily gets incrementally larger, until it eventually ruptures and it all pours out. I can see the parabolic curve now...

How about this: order the aluminum kit and keep it in the trunk, and prepay the tow now. Then, drive the truck around like normal, but only during your mechanic's normal business hours. As soon as it unzips, call in the tow and go directly into surgery. This way, we can prove the theory that little leaks always precede the full unzipping. Like labor pains precede delivery.

In the name of good science, of course.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

I, for one, will wager a size L PPT on an over/under bet of 4 weeks or less from first COOLANT LOW message.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Coolant Low msg. once about 18 mos. ago, topped it off with a little bit of distilled water and a have added a couple of ozs. about every 6 mos. since. No puddles and no pipe failures yet. Always check it when the engine is cold, 'bout time to do it again.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

My mechanic described the connector for the n/a V8 as a "Y" connector, which will be replaced. He said the "T" connector is only in the turbos.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My mechanic described the connector for the n/a V8 as a "Y" connector, which will be replaced. He said the "T" connector is only in the turbos.
Uhh... can he point this out to you on a parts diagram?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Didn't ask. Maybe I should.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

The procedure is complete.

I just had my coolant pipes replaced with the updated metal pipes on my 2004 Cayenne S. My mileage is 93,395. I had them replaced prior to failure - I felt that I was living on borrowed time. My mechanic said that there was no sign of leaks when he got to the pipes. It was done at a Porsche dealer. My total out of pocket expense for this was $1,863.69.

I'm happy to have it done.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Good for you, Dennis.
My CPO ends 12/23/12 and of course I want them to fail before then, but I'd also rather do it before the fail and have all the other potential problems that go with it.
One thing for sure, on 12/24/12, I'm scheduling the replacement.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:28 PM
jasonmd2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm the latest victim of the dreaded coolant pipes...looking for a little advice thou. 2005 CTT with about 72k miles and I believe the original factory plastic pipes.

The coolant low light came on this morning and I drove it a few miles to get to a gas station. Watching the temp gauge it never hit 260 redline, no steam from engine and no coolant smell. The engine oil temp gauge crept up to almost redline (300) and then engine temperature too high light came on right when I was approaching gas station. I poured some water in the reservoir and immediately got steam from intake manifold area and could hear gurgling/boiling water. Didn't start it again and had AAA tow it home...

So this seems like coolant pipes to me but what do you guys think about the oil temperature and warning light? Could that be a result from the coolant being low? And does this sound like the result of a slow leak? There were no big puddles of coolant or smell of coolant.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the pipes, hope no additonal damage was caused by continuing to drive. Good luck. Replaced mine recently on my own, prior to failure.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM
jasonmd2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm going to attempt to tackle them DIY this week. What a STUPID design...hopefully something positive comes from the class action suit...but I'm not holding my breathe!

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.