Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by pcst
Good info, do you have a part# and qty required?

Thanks in advance!
Sure - on PET (the parts system) they're shown on the page for the thermostat housing:
  • 1x - 99 707 516 40 (20 x 2.65) O ring
  • 1x - 99 707 477 40 (19 x 3) O ring

Cost is about $7 for both.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by ALEV8
What's the best place in the engine to see if coolant has leaked or should I just look under the Cayenne or check the coolant level? My 04 Turbo was a CPO at 65k mi so it was likely under warranty thru 100k mi, I'd think. It was in TX north of me for two years of scorching hot summers. Seems the pipes likely would have gone by now. I wish there was some way to access service records from the dealer now that I own it. There is just one major dealer where this vehicle lived so I'd think it went there.....
If you find you're adding coolant on a regular basis - chances are good the O rings on the pipes have started to leak. Not all of the failures are exploding pipes.. If the system is working as designed (ie - not leaking) you should never have to add coolant.

The way to check the level is check it in the morning before starting the engine, when things are cooled off. Trying to check it with a hot engine won't give uniform results.. (and is actually warned against in the service writeups on the cooling system.)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:56 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Sure - on PET (the parts system) they're shown on the page for the thermostat housing:
  • 1x - 99 707 516 40 (20 x 2.65) O ring
  • 1x - 99 707 477 40 (19 x 3) O ring

Cost is about $7 for both.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you find you're adding coolant on a regular basis - chances are good the O rings on the pipes have started to leak. Not all of the failures are exploding pipes.. If the system is working as designed (ie - not leaking) you should never have to add coolant.

The way to check the level is check it in the morning before starting the engine, when things are cooled off. Trying to check it with a hot engine won't give uniform results.. (and is actually warned against in the service writeups on the cooling system.)
Agree I leaked for about 6 weeks and got it in just as they unzipped
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But the fix is the same... if you're leaking--from whatever source--you're going under the knife for aluminum.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Will start checking the coolant level.....I'd be amazed if the PO didn't have a failure in this TX heat by 100k mi while it was under CPO. that said, anything is entirely possible.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 AM
deilenberger
Banned

The coolant Porsche uses is interesting stuff. A few drops of it dried on the black plastic cowl under the windshield while we were doing the job (or perhaps when I took the reservoir cap off to check the level) - and it dries as hard as a rock.. when I finally decided to scrape it off - it needed my pocketknife to scrape off, and I could see little crystaline formations in it - sort of like rock-salt. That probably explains what happens to the torque converter seal if the coolant is allowed to leak for any period of time..
Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Graham Pearce
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cayenne v8 Coolant pipe PSM

2004 Cayenne V8 S 55000 miles. I have today replaced the plastic pipes with the Porsche kit- had a small coolant leak and thought best to change them.. Put it all back together but now have another fault. Engine was difficult to start and kept stalling. Suddenly the PSM Warning appeared 'Workshop". Engine now just about runs but missing, poor irregular tickover- running like a dog. Warning on PSM still on screen. I took the inlet manifold off again, rechecked all connections, put it back on- just the same. I did disconnect the rear battery prior to starting work but didn't disconnect secondary. Also removed starter motor and cleaned gear- coolant residue over it.
ANY BRIGHT IDEAS?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Graham Pearce
2004 Cayenne V8 S 55000 miles. I have today replaced the plastic pipes with the Porsche kit- had a small coolant leak and thought best to change them.. Put it all back together but now have another fault. Engine was difficult to start and kept stalling. Suddenly the PSM Warning appeared 'Workshop". Engine now just about runs but missing, poor irregular tickover- running like a dog. Warning on PSM still on screen. I took the inlet manifold off again, rechecked all connections, put it back on- just the same. I did disconnect the rear battery prior to starting work but didn't disconnect secondary. Also removed starter motor and cleaned gear- coolant residue over it.
ANY BRIGHT IDEAS?
Rule of troubleshooting - look where you last worked..

Something is leaking, or unplugged or not connected. What? Can't say, I'm not there..
  • Did you replace the intake manifold gaskets?
  • Did you replace the gasket on the throttle body?

Either of these leaking would result in unmetered air getting into the engine and causing a severe lean condition, which matches your problems.

You will possibly need to read the stored fault codes to track down what the ECU thinks is wrong.. (one reason I own a DuraMetric.. one dealer visit avoided pays for it.)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Graham Pearce
2nd Gear

Smile Cayenne Running like a dog

Thanks for your response. The lead to the throttle assembly was very tight to reach the plug. Has another fiddle with it and low and behold the engine is running fine. Took her out for a road test (PSM light still on) and all is fine. Got back, started it up again and the PSM has reset itself! I think the problem was a poor connection at the throttle multi plug. All is now fine.
Thanks for your quick response.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 PM
fclick
1st Gear

Default WTB plastic coolant pipes

I'm new here and have a question related to this. I'm looking for a set of the original, plastic engine coolant pipes from a 2003-2006 Cayenne that I can do some testing on. I'm hoping someone on the board may have held onto their original set or will see this before they replace their set - my mechanic contacts have all scrapped them. I'm happy to pay for the pipes and the shipping. Please send me a message if you have a set you'd be willing part with. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Called Boardwalk Porsche today with my VIN and my pipes are indeed the new aluminum ones, plus they have my service records and the rep knows the previous owner. "Extremely particular" was how he was described. Not sure if the heater Ts were also replaced but I'd think yes. Now how much beer does it take to get those service records printed out and handed over?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Update....got the records from 70k onwards.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Merwen
1st Gear

I am the latest victim of the infamous plastic pipe disaster. My '06 Cayenne S (80,000 miles) just started pouring coolant. I now understand what is going on with this mess.

What should I expect to pay at the dealership for repairs?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:29 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on where you are, anything between 800 and 2000

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.