Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was slow to start, kept it going for about 5 weeks
Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 PM
prsdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RedGT3,

I've been having a slow leak for the past few months. I've been discussing with the wife that "it's something that needs to be replaced (coolant pipes), just not sure how long it'll last". Cash has been tight the past 2 months, so was holding off on the repair temporarily. It finally let loose this morning with coolant all over the garage floor. If you notice a leak, it's not certain how long it will take before it goes, but in my example, a few months. Get it replaced preemptively would be my suggestion.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
redgt3
Intermediate

thanks people
yes, I think I'll ge the pipes replaced this weekend
must be the week for it
the GT3 has wrecked a bush in the rear left track control arm..makes for interesting handling !
Old 10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
dmcintosh
8th Gear

Hey everyone, glad I found this site! Based on what I saw here I contacted a law firm and I'm going to see if there is a possible class action suit to correct the obvious wrong Porsche has created. I have a 04 Cayenne turbo and the large pipe blew on me. The "upgrade kit" LMAO is $1000 and after 9 hours of labor it came to $2100 in repairs due to in my opinion an engineering flaw. I'll keep you guys updated, but I wanted to know who wants to jump on the wagon? I'm in NY so the law firm if they decide to take on the case would contact those who wants to be part of this. I think the more people voicing their concerns and sharing their stories would make a big difference.

Safe driving out there!

Dane
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread everyone. I'm sad to report that I am now also a member of the Cayenne Coolant Pipe Club. She blew yesterday afternoon - coolant everywhere, tried to refill at a gas station and it just poured through. I love that the starter gets inundated with water, which renders it useless for hours.

So now that the dust has settled, I'm inclined to go the DIY route, thanks to you guys. I did the plugs/coils, a while back, brakes a few times, and even the trailer hitch install. But just for fun on this one, I called the local dealer in Sacramento and they quoted $3,200 for parts and labor! According to Mudman's figure, it would actually be cheaper for me to ship it to Denver, have it fixed there, and ship it back.

So with the Porsche manuals (per Bahama's instructions), and P52's writeup and pictures, and a few tools, shouldn't I be able to just do this myself? And save $2,500? Or is this only being attempted by Porsche techs on their days off?

Otherwise, is there any good independent shop in the Sacramento area that people have used, that could do this job?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
SPITHA
1st Gear

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PROPER BLEEDING PROCEEDURE FOR THE TWIN TURBO '04 MODEL. JUST FINISHED DOING THE PIPES
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by SPITHA
DOES ANYONE HAVE A PROPER BLEEDING PROCEEDURE FOR THE TWIN TURBO '04 MODEL. JUST FINISHED DOING THE PIPES
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE

Fill with fluid
Drive around block.
Fill with fluid.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the repair on my '04 Turbo this weekend. Not bad, but man, replacing that rubber t-pipe/hose that connects to the right-most heater pipe was absolutely brutal. Even when I finally got the spring-clamps off with the remote-cable pliers, I had to cut the rubber hose off with a blade.

So to finish the job, I've read in this thread to fill the coolant, let the engine warm up, drive it, let it cool, and top it off.

I assume everyone is using the Porsche coolant straight, without distilled water? So how many gallons are normal for an '04 TT? I'm two gallons in, and the low coolant light came on. Let the engine warm up, then drove it maybe two miles to see if there was air working its way out.

How many more gallons should I buy? And is it better to not use water? I'm in No. Cal.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
profusion
Advanced

I have until this wekend before my CPO expires. I took mine to the dealership last week because I'm slowly losing coolant. They ran some pressure test and found air in the system. They got the air out and topped it off. No charge but I still would rather get the pipes replaced. They won't do it though! This sucks! It looks like I am going to have to do this myself.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
dmcintosh
8th Gear

Profusion. you said the dealership wouldn't replace the pipes under warranty? I see that you are in NJ. Listen its really important for you and everyone else with this issue that you get back to me. please see what my lawyer has to say:

I am wondering if anyone has contacted you from the Porsche list group after you mentioned that you had contacted an attorney? I want to find someone in New Jersey. I have spoken to several local mechanics who have confirmed that they have done this same repair on the Cayenne. I did another federal court docket search this weekend and found nothing on this issue (which is good). It is impossible to search all state court actions, however, b/c most are not available online.

So if you could let me know how to reach you it would be a great help for the casue, especially since you even have a warranty. I would post my email here, but I'm new here and I don't know the rules here, lol.

If anyone else on here is from NJ please let me know. Each state has different protection laws, and it might be better to file the case in NJ. California is another good one (just look at the ford manifold case).
Old 11-22-2010, 01:30 PM
profusion
Advanced

I sent you an e-mail. You can contact me at 1994ls1@gmail.com. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:10 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well in honor of Thanksgiving, my P!g, now referred to as the POS P!g, decided to bust it's coolant pipe(s). It's a mess...

God I hate this thing...

Happy Turkey Day everyone!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 PM
dmcintosh
8th Gear

Well meeting with the lawyer this weekend to go over the retainer agreement. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks to those who reached out to me, my lawyer will be contacting you for further information. It looks like a solid case, and thats good because its really similar to the ford "water crossover" case. Basically the bottom line is in the for case, they didn't use aluminum to carry the coolant, and after they realized it was failing, the "upgraded" the intake which included a aluminum "water crossover". They never issues a bulletin or recall, and thats why they the case was brought up, but what lost it for them, was the fact that the acknowledge the issue by selling "upgraded" parts, ensuring that every owner of that type of vehicle would have to buy parts and possibly pay ford for service, depending on where you get it fixed. I had to go to a mobile station because I was losing coolant at a ridiculous rate.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.