Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne GTS w/ 18" Matte Black Victor "Zehn" wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:44 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 Cayenne GTS w/ 18" Matte Black Victor "Zehn" wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler Tires

Mounted 255/55-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers onto Victor Zehn matte black wheels today.

There was some question, for some reason, if 18" wheels would work on the Cayenne GTS. The unequivocal answer- yes, 18" wheels fit without a doubt.

The only Cayenne's this 18" wheel won't fit on are those with PCCB.

These wheels clear the caliper with plenty of room. They do not require the use of a hub spacer as Victors are specifically designed and pre-machined to fit the Cayenne.

The stock wheel studs are reused as well.

As I wanted to straight-up swap out my stock 21" tires/wheels, Discount Tire obtained and installed four new TPMS sensors. After a few miles the computer asked (via center dash display) if I changed tires, I ticked the check box for "All-Weather" then ticked the next pop-up box for "18"" wheel size and it was good to go.

The TPMS sensors were recognized and working within minutes with no other programming needed.

So...so...easy.

First pic suspension at full height. Second pic suspension in "Sport".

Handling as you would expect is softer and more compliant.

Many thanks to the guys at Discount Tire in Reno NV (Carson, Steve and manager Mike McFarlane). **Superb service and excellent value**

The Victor Zehn wheels carry a lifetime structural warranty and a 1 year warranty on the finish.

If you seek all-weather and/or off-road functionality, this will fill the bill nicely.
Attached Images      
Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Are the tires noisey?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Noisy...

More so than the OEM 21" low-profile street meats? Yes.

Does it whine and rumble like Bobby Joe's jacked up redneck rig? No.

While I noted a "difference" in sound upon first drive, I got used to it in about 5 minutes. The aggressive tread is bound to result in more noise.

Not an issue for me.

PS- Great avatar pic! What is the story?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Savy, I run 18's with Blizzaks in the winter and not noisey. Pic was from CMH Monashees lodge 4 ?years ago. It snowed about 3 feet in 2 days and then it turned to rain. The highway south to Revelstoke was closed for 3 days until they could clear it for avalanches. Driving out it was rain on packed snow and QUITE sporty until we got south onto wet pavement.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice winter wheels
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Jim- Revelstoke... I've spent the night there there! Neat little BC town and I can understand how a snow storm found you in that area. 3 feet! Wow.

Cpa- Thank you sir. I am pretty pleased with the look myself. You never know until everything is mounted up and the truck is back on its feet.

After driving on the new tires now on various road surfaces and speeds, I can say the noise level is only slightly increased. And I don't find it to be objectionable nor irritating. Neither does my wife.

The ride is *considerably* improved, much more compliant. The trade-off of course is loss of some sharpness in steering response.

Overall I am very happy how this has worked out so far. Will report back once I get it off-road again, and in the fall when I get it in snow.

Last edited by savyboy; 07-20-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Correct grammar :-)
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for being the guniea pig savyboy, those are the exact wheels I'm thinking of too; and now I know the GTS will in fact work with 18" wheels.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Thanks for being the guniea pig savyboy, those are the exact wheels I'm thinking of too; and now I know the GTS will in fact work with 18" wheels.
My pleasure. Not sure why so much conflicting info is out there?

Additional observation- so glad to be rid of the contiunous fear of touching the sidewalls/rims of the OE 21" 's against a curb. A lot more margin for error now.

PS- Also keep in mind these size/brand tires come only in a "S" speed rating. 112mph max.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 AM
shnikus
1st Gear

Originally Posted by savyboy
PS- Also keep in mind these size/brand tires come only in a "S" speed rating. 112mph max.
If this is a problem, consider Pirelli Scorpion ATR. I have them on my 05 CTT. Pirelli's are rated "H" (130 mph). They look similar and supposed to perform well, but time will tell...
Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 432 Posts

I have the same wheels mounted in replacement of my 18" factory wheels but on All season tires; Yokohama Prada X A/S. Love the look. My sales manager saw them today on the Cayenne for the 1st time and was impressed. Very classy and sporty and befitting the Cayenne and he is one who does not like aftermarket wheels on a majority of the porsches he sees and buys or sells.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

get clear side markers!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Jorgeassoc
Intermediate

Your all ready to go for this winter. . . .
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 AM
neverpa
Intermediate

FWIW: I have now tried Pirelli winter carving edge snow tires 255/55/18 and Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV 255/55/18 on Porsche turbo 2 rims. These bolt on to my GTS with no problems. They also fit my Q7 well. My experience so far is that the Nokian snows are at their best in softer snow and slush. The Pirellis have been surprisingly good too. They might even be better than the Nokia. I like the look of your wheels and tires on your GTS.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
richc
Pro

I saw one in Hawaii with those wheels (no idea what the tires were), looked good stopped but when rolling the wheels looked a little odd.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Savyboy,

Beg an update for a review on the Nitto Terra Grapplers? My wife decreed that I am no-longer allowed to take her Range off-road, so I have to go the same route as you and put some all-terrains on my GTS. I really like the 21" wheels and OE Yoko's, and am not going this route with glee, but of necessity.

Currently I'm thinking of either the Terra Grapplers or Pirelli Scorpian ATR in 255/55-18, and leaning toward the ATRs as they are HR rated. Opinions?

My other thought is to go with the Pirelli Assimetro in a size 265/50-19. They are a high-preformance all season SUV tire, but got decent european reviews for traction offroad. I'm not doing any rock crawling, but need traction for steep gravel and grass covered "roads". My favorite AT tire were the Yoko Geolander A/T-S, but they do not make it in smaller than a 30.5"; which I think is too big for the Cayenne? Love it if someone told me I was wrong.

Thanks,

Martin

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne GTS w/ 18" Matte Black Victor "Zehn" wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler Tires