Sponsored by:

Help Confirm Audio Approach

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Confirm Audio Approach

I recently purchased a 2008 Cayenne S with PCM (and CDC). It does not have satellite. I want three things: Bluetooth, Ipod/Aux in and satellite integration.

After searching the numerous threads here, I'm going the mobridge route to satisfy my #1 and #2 desires.

I am still confused however on what to do to get satellite. Would it just be easiest to get an aftermarket unit, hardwire the FM modulator and stick the antenna in the rear spoiler or is there a better option that would allow me to use the PCM headunit?

I'm spending more time trying to understand this than I ever thought I would! My 964 was much simpler - tape deck and the sweet sound of an air cooled engine!

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is/was an OEM satellite option (XM or Sirius) for the PCM 2.x units.
You can even see some pictures of the components/parts lists here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...c4s-cab-2.html

Another option would to be to abandon the hardwire FM modulator and simple share the analog/AUX/line level input to the mObridge between the satellite radio and the ipod.

Another option would be to buy a new Cayenne with PCM3.x, thus giving you OEM install for Bluetooth, iPod and Satellite radio....and a color touchscreen.....go ahead, you know you want to.

Apart from that, I have no idea
Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
There is/was an OEM satellite option (XM or Sirius) for the PCM 2.x units.
You can even see some pictures of the components/parts lists here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...c4s-cab-2.html

Another option would to be to abandon the hardwire FM modulator and simple share the analog/AUX/line level input to the mObridge between the satellite radio and the ipod.

Another option would be to buy a new Cayenne with PCM3.x, thus giving you OEM install for Bluetooth, iPod and Satellite radio....and a color touchscreen.....go ahead, you know you want to.

Apart from that, I have no idea
Just to clarify, on the Transsyberia (and other Cayenne models, too?), Bluetooth, Ipod and XM are all additional individual options to the PCM option. In other words, getting PCM does not give you the others. They're each extra.

Last edited by DUTCH Vanatlanta; 07-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH Vanatlanta
Just to clarify, on the Transsyberia (and other Cayenne models, too?), Bluetooth, Ipod and XM are all additional options to the PCM option. In other words, getting PCM does not give you the others. They're each extra.
When floormats are an option on Porsche vehicles I don't think they would give us audio features as standard. I'm almost surprised they give us AM & FM together....
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
When floormats are an option on Porsche vehicles I don't think they would give us audio features as standard. I'm almost surprised they give us AM & FM together....
Actually, floor mats are included as part of the Transsyberia package.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea about the mobridge aux - I will do that once the mobridge is installed.

In the interim, I just tried to use the built-in FM modulator in my XM receiver and had no luck. I'm assuming that it is because the FM antenna in the car is on the rear spoiler and it is too far away from the XM unit's weak modulator?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:16 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Preeble
Good idea about the mobridge aux - I will do that once the mobridge is installed.

In the interim, I just tried to use the built-in FM modulator in my XM receiver and had no luck. I'm assuming that it is because the FM antenna in the car is on the rear spoiler and it is too far away from the XM unit's weak modulator?
I have a Sirius unit installed in one of my other cars - also German - where the FM antenna is in the back side window. It wasn't worth a hoot; so I installed the direct connection which goes between the antenna cable and the input to the head unit. It works flawlessly.

The best source for products and service support that I've found is:

http://www.tss-radio.com/
Old 07-18-2009, 11:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Preeble
Yes.
Even in cars with front windshield antennae, the wireless modulator doesn't work very well.
In the absense of a line level analog (aux) input, a hardwired FM modulator works best.

FWIW, I bought a Sirius setup for my bride's Excursion (her daily driver) and the hardwired FM modulator actually works quite well from a S/N perspective.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:12 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Mobridge for iPod and Sirius integration with the sound system, works flawlessly. I use their BT also

Quick Reply: Help Confirm Audio Approach