Sponsored by:

Porsche bike rack question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche bike rack question?

Hi, I just purchased a second Porsche bike carrier to add to the one already installed on my Cayenne's roof transport system. After the installation I realized that the bike holding arm is now away from driver side towards the passenger side and very difficult to access. I called the dealer and the rep. said he doesn't think p makes L & R bike carriers.

Does this mean that these carriers are only intended for single, passenger side installations?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM
mn692
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable controls?

Does your Porsche carrier have the ability for you to adjust the control ***** and move them to the opposite side for one of the racks? The Yakima roof racks have this ability, for instance the Yakima Aero Raptor allows both the wheel straps and body arm controls to be repositioned (http://www.bikerackshops.com/YA02093.html) to the other side so that you can access the controls from both left and right sides. It may require some assembly work on your part.

You may want to check your instruction manual or give Porsche a call and ask them this question. It would seem that their carrier design should have this capability built into the product.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mn692
Does your Porsche carrier have the ability for you to adjust the control ***** and move them to the opposite side for one of the racks? The Yakima roof racks have this ability, for instance the Yakima Aero Raptor allows both the wheel straps and body arm controls to be repositioned (http://www.bikerackshops.com/YA02093.html) to the other side so that you can access the controls from both left and right sides. It may require some assembly work on your part.

You may want to check your instruction manual or give Porsche a call and ask them this question. It would seem that their carrier design should have this capability built into the product.
I am not sure if the holding arm can be moved to the opposite side but worth trying, my calls to Porsche remain unanswered.
Thx,
Sam
Old 07-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Update: I did come across an Audi with double Porsche bike racks with the arms in opposite sides in Provincetown, Cape Cod this weekend. The guy said, the rack's manual shows how to move the arm to the other side, a task not too difficult to perform. Now if I just can find that manual...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Default Reversing the Porsche bike rack retainer pipe-DONE!!!

I finally found the manual.

It took me about 30 minutes to move the retainer pipe to the opposite side. Here are the instructions per Porsche manual. I'll be happy to email hi res copies for anyone who may need it.

Be well.
Sam

Last edited by Sam CS 05; 10-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:15 AM
Nickrphg
4th Gear

I need it if you still have it. I posted a message on your user page about it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Sure. If I can find it I'll let you know. Actually I may be selling my entire roof system including the load assist and 2 P bike racks soon as I am selling my 05 CS.

Regards,
Sam
Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Nickrphg
4th Gear

Thanks a lot. I appreciate you looking. I have two carriers, and am getting really tired of reaching under the rack to secure a bike. Let me know.

-Nick
Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

No luck finding the paperwork so far. I am not sure how the scanned pages I posted here have disappeared. I'll keep looking.

Sam
Old 09-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

I think I remembered how it was done. Sent you a PM.

Sam
Old 09-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nickrphg
Thanks a lot. I appreciate you looking. I have two carriers, and am getting really tired of reaching under the rack to secure a bike. Let me know.

-Nick
OK I am pretty sure this is how I did it 5 years ago

Remove the plastic cap/screw (blue circle, red arrow). Not sure if there was a retaining clip at the end of the bike retaining tube or not, If there is one, you'll need to remove it now.

If the bike racks are already installed. Loosen up the lock clips (green arrow).

Note the second picture. You should see a notch (marked with red arrow). Now rotate the bike retaining arm all the way forward until the male counterpart on the arm tube is matched with the notch (opening) in the housing. Now you should be able to tap out the bike retaining arm in the direction of the green arrow.

Now you should be able to reverse the retaining arm thru the opposite side and secure it back to the bike rack.

Best of luck.
Sam
Attached Images    
Old 09-11-2015, 03:47 AM
Nickrphg
4th Gear

Thanks a lot for the descriptive instructions. I will give it a go and I appreciate your help.

Nick
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

You are very welcome and welcome to rennlist Hope that it works for you.

Regards,
Sam
Old 09-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Nickrphg
4th Gear

I don't mean to be a pain, but do you have any recommendations on how to get the screw loose? I keep making it wider when trying to unscrew it. And how exactly do you take the clip off?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nickrphg
I don't mean to be a pain, but do you have any recommendations on how to get the screw loose? I keep making it wider when trying to unscrew it. And how exactly do you take the clip off?

Thanks,
Nick
Nick, I can't remember too well. I think it is a screw but it may also just be pressure fitted and needs to be lifted out, sorry I'm not sure. Any other member out there that knows how...?

If there is a retaining clip, it's most possible one of those "C" shaped clips that just gets pulled out.

GL.
Sam

Quick Reply: Porsche bike rack question?