What to buy--base cayenne, s, gts or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
keithwatson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy--base cayenne, s, gts or turbo

Hi everyone,
I am ready to get rid of my 06 Landcruiser and I have driven a cayenne S. I am intrigued by the gts, though would appreciate any thoughts on the advantages, aside from hp. Also, if I could find an 08, it sounds like I could get close to 20% discount based on what I have read on other posts. Is this largely true? I know it is regionally dependent. Also, I keep seeing negative rating by consumer reports regarding the cayenne, though I don't know if this also pertains to the gts.
Are there any such issues that any of you gts owners are aware of.

Thanks in advance,
KW
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was looking to replace my Land Rover LR3 and Cayman, both lease returns, with CPOed examples of the same. As the CPOed selection of LR3's and RRS was dismal and the pricing plain wierd, I went to look at a V6 Cayenne. Long story short, it seems that you can get a much greater % of MSRP on the S and GTS model. My sales gentleman, who I have bought from previously, made me such a crazy offer on a Manual GTS, that I could not walk away from it. I'm most likely paying $200 more a month than I would be if I had went with the base Cayenne. Long-story short, go in asking for a base Cayenne, and see what the dealer can do for you. Most dealers have new 2008's laying around too.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
WayneE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Long story short, it seems that you can get a much greater % of MSRP on the S and GTS model. My sales gentleman, who I have bought from previously, made me such a crazy offer on a Manual GTS, that I could not walk away from it.

2008 or 2009 manual GTS?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
bgsntth
Racer

2009 GTS Manual with PDCC. Wish it had Bluetooth and the tow kit, the latter to accomodate a Hitchsafe and bike rack. It is amazing how much smaller the Cayenne cargo area is than the LR3, considering the the latter is only an inch longer; hence, the need for a bike rack.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:53 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paging LTC... get the marinade ready, and I'll fire up the grill!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

My buddies 08 gts is for sale here in SF bay area for $63K.. Gray.. 11K miles

Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2009 GTS Manual with PDCC. Wish it had Bluetooth and the tow kit, the latter to accomodate a Hitchsafe and bike rack. It is amazing how much smaller the Cayenne cargo area is than the LR3, considering the the latter is only an inch longer; hence, the need for a bike rack.
Our Esteemed forum Moderator, Sir Mudman2, has a very good DIY on installing the trailer hitch (mechanical and/or electrical), so that should not be a major issue.
(now adding BiXenons.....THAT is a major issue....here Toby Toby Toby )

As for a bike rack, I would strongly suggest this one.
http://backrack.net/

I bought one (installed on Larry's widow's Excursion diesel) and it is amazingly well built....much more rugged than any other the more popular commercial racks.

As for BT, there are several options available.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by littlejt1
Paging LTC... get the marinade ready, and I'll fire up the grill!
Newbies never get old. I love them.

Tail wagging, head over heels in love with the thought of owning a Cayenne.
Then they end up wetting the papers when they realize what they've done.
That sleek, sexy Cayenne isn't so sleek and sexy anymore...

The Porsche equivalent of a Vegas wedding now that I think about it.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alex911s
My buddies 08 gts is for sale here in SF bay area for $63K.. Gray.. 11K miles

Alex,
I think the asking price might be a bit optimistic, especially given the discounts reported here on new vehicles.

And no Alex, no Cayenne for you
Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Thanks ltc. The truck is leased, so I'm afraid to do the DIY hitch option, though I may change my mind.

I'm researching the BT options. The BT is completely integrated with our Land Rovers, which has spoiled me rotten. I'm not too keen on spending $1K plus to have the tempermental dealer installed option, which will be a gift to Porsche at lease end. I do know it works, however, as when I visited the dealer the techs were trying to connect another GTS owner's phone without success; but it kept mating with my phone incessantly. Kind of like my wife when she was trying to conceive our second. I do not want anthing attached to my ear, and have not been impressed with the speaker options at my Sprint store.

Please share you knowledge.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
The Porsche equivalent of a Vegas wedding now that I think about it.
Now that stings... yes I know, truth hurts sometimes...

Viva Las Vegas baby! lol
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by littlejt1
Now that stings... yes I know, truth hurts sometimes...

Viva Las Vegas baby! lol
What happens in the pig pen stays in the pig pen.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks ltc. The truck is leased, so I'm afraid to do the DIY hitch option, though I may change my mind.
Was unaware of lease status.
I would imagine using an OEM hitch receiver would not pose an issue regarding the terms of the lease and you may be able to work out a reasonable price/residual value...

I'm researching the BT options. The BT is completely integrated with our Land Rovers, which has spoiled me rotten. I'm not too keen on spending $1K plus to have the tempermental dealer installed option, which will be a gift to Porsche at lease end. I do know it works, however, as when I visited the dealer the techs were trying to connect another GTS owner's phone without success; but it kept mating with my phone incessantly. Kind of like my wife when she was trying to conceive our second. I do not want anthing attached to my ear, and have not been impressed with the speaker options at my Sprint store.
A good stereo installer should be able to integrate a Parrot Bluetooth kit into the vehicle with no problems.
FWIW, most of the OEM kits use the Parrot reference designs. I've used them before, they're good.
The Parrot kits (even those with LCD) are reasonably priced and can be removed from the vehicle at lease turn in and sold/reused.

As for a mount for the Parrot in the Pig, I would recommend only using Kuda mounts (made in Germany, excellent fit, no holes required). I've used them before in Larry's Cayenne and in his widow's Ford Excursion

http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_an...03-31-310.html

Please share you knowledge.
I have none.

I am, however, really enjoying my new daily driver's (09 Ford Escape Hybrid) infotainment system. Even though it is 'Powered by Microsoft', the Ford Sync system is very well thought out and performs well. Voice activated everything, touchscreen, BT, excellent NAV with real time updates incorporated.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Awesome....thanks ltc.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist