Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we get some feedback on stock versus (Hawk) ceramic pads on stock or Zimmerman rotors?
I have been advised by some really good folks on this forum about technical stuff and that is very important. But I am interested in hearing about usage. Are ceramic pads better, i.e., brake/stop better, longer wearing, cause less wear on rotors and/or fade less? Look forward to comments.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Stone43
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since brakes are not a difficult job (if you have the time and space to do them), I just hired one of my employees' husband who is a mobile mechanic to do it. Front and Rear rotors, brakes and sensors. $930 and he did it while I was at work.

Now my wheels have a whole new set of dust on them!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:35 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stone43
Since brakes are not a difficult job (if you have the time and space to do them), I just hired one of my employees' husband who is a mobile mechanic to do it. Front and Rear rotors, brakes and sensors. $930 and he did it while I was at work.

Now my wheels have a whole new set of dust on them!
You guys really should do your own work on this. Cayenne brakes have got to be the easiest I've ever done. Should not cost anywhere near this. Obviously it depends on how much you spent on pads and rotors, plus the sensors, and the brake retaining clips and pins (hope you replaced those as well).
Old 06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Originally Posted by JW3
Can we get some feedback on stock versus (Hawk) ceramic pads on stock or Zimmerman rotors?
I have been advised by some really good folks on this forum about technical stuff and that is very important. But I am interested in hearing about usage. Are ceramic pads better, i.e., brake/stop better, longer wearing, cause less wear on rotors and/or fade less? Look forward to comments.
Ceramic pads: last a bit longer have lower brake dust and seem to wear on the rotors less.

Metallic pads: wear quicker, dust a little more, but IMHO are better for heavier vehicles as they have a higher friction level and are better under high temp.

Bottom line kind of depends on your driving style, where you spend the most driving time (track, street, etc) and whether you like to clean your wheels more or less, lol

There are I'm sure several of those out there with vast more experience than I so I'll defer to their expertise...as well as LTC's colorful commentary!

Personally I like the ceramics for the lower dust, but I've had both and can't tell a ton of difference in stopping power...but then again, I'm not hauling my Pig around the track other than an occasional parade lap while the 951 is cooling off...
Old 06-20-2009, 07:37 AM
JW3
Racer

littlejt1 - thanks very much for the feedback. I will go with the OEM parts - they've done a great job in Germany and here. I will just continue to wash the Pig more.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I just replaced my Cayenne front pads today. It was indeed super easy. The brake pad light was not on yet, so I was expecting that I could re-use the sensors. But alas, they were impossible to remove from the old pads without breaking them. So I had to run out to the nearest Porsche dealer and buy them for $22 each. Which is twice as much as an internet order from Sunset Porsche. (where I got the pads). Lesson learned; plan on replacing the sensors and thus order them at a discount.

The rear pads still have some miles to go. Given that I know I will replace the sensors, I will just wait until the warning shows up on the dash.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

I just completed my brake job too. It was a two weekend job because I didn't have the 16mm Triplesquare bit for the back rotors. Overall a relatively easy job. The first rotor is a pain until you figure out how to get all the parts off then it's much easier.

I did ended up using OE Pads even though I bought a set of Hawks ceramics I think. After I read that the bite of the Hawks may not be as good as OE I decided to pass.

Make sure you get the brake pad kit and new sensors. Even if you do not have the light on, you probably gone through a lot of the sensor so just replace them.

My bill from the dealer was $1k...Sunset, suncoast...whatever, may have been a little cheaper maybe...

Oil change is next weekend...Good thing I have a lift. Although it did wheeze a little lifting the pig.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM
aussie_bob
Intermediate

I am trying to replace the front brake pads and have on my 2013 Cayenne.

I have these questions...

1. The tripple-square bolts that hold the one piece caliper on, how to get them off .. is an impact wrench required ? I have the tripple-square sockets with a 4 inch spline and the spline tends to twist when I try to get the bolts out ... I think I need to try a socket with no spline for a more direct connection to breaker bar.
I did try some WD40 to no avail.

2. Is there a recommended triple square socket / supplier ?

3. Where can I find the torque specifications when I re-install the tripple-square bolts ?

4. There a best jack stand solution .. seems to only be one jack point and I am using that with a backup hydrolic jack at the front part of the chassis but maybe should put the jack stand there .. I have seen a combined jack ? jack stand but not priced it ..

Thanks, Bob.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:42 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie_bob
I am trying to replace the front brake pads and have on my 2013 Cayenne.

I have these questions...

1. The tripple-square bolts that hold the one piece caliper on, how to get them off .. is an impact wrench required ? I have the tripple-square sockets with a 4 inch spline and the spline tends to twist when I try to get the bolts out ... I think I need to try a socket with no spline for a more direct connection to breaker bar.
I did try some WD40 to no avail.

2. Is there a recommended triple square socket / supplier ?

3. Where can I find the torque specifications when I re-install the tripple-square bolts ?

4. There a best jack stand solution .. seems to only be one jack point and I am using that with a backup hydrolic jack at the front part of the chassis but maybe should put the jack stand there .. I have seen a combined jack ? jack stand but not priced it ..

Thanks, Bob.
See this topic and posts - good helpful info.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ake-job-2.html

Also see my post in that thread (post #17) for torques. You just need to remove the caliper bolts and lift off the calipers and slide out the pads - see attached too. The caliper bolts can be tight but I used a breaker bar and worked fine.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
WM 463619 R&I fr pads.pdf (469.9 KB, 268 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo S
Nobody out there with a Turbo S? I can't find any front pads other than OEM. 2006 Turbo S has 380mm (15") front rotors. I wanted to try the Hawk ceramic but they only make them for the rear. I'm hoping to find something dustless.
I'm superstitious about using after market parts, especially for Porsche brakes, so I replaced my 06TTS pads and sensors last month with OEM. Didn't look for anything else and don't mind the dust.

For the OP: I replace wear sensors and all recommended bolts and brake hardware.

LOL! I just replied to an 8 year old thread! I wonder how many times he's replaced pads since then?

Last edited by CTTS520; 01-24-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: a
Old 01-24-2017, 05:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Aussie-Bob, those bolts are one-time-use. Torque (from memory) is something over 100ft/lbs - so the bolts stretch when tightened. Porsche requires replacement whenever they're disturbed.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
See this topic and posts - good helpful info.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ake-job-2.html

Also see my post in that thread (post #17) for torques. You just need to remove the caliper bolts and lift off the calipers and slide out the pads - see attached too. The caliper bolts can be tight but I used a breaker bar and worked fine.

Good luck.
I stripped one of mine already!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:32 AM
aussie_bob
Intermediate

Hi Rennlist'ers , I am looking at replacing front brakes on my 2013 Cayenne .

1. What is the best way to get the get the two tripple-square blots off holding the caliper on .
I some l the tools and want to know if an impact wrench is required to get them loose. I am wanting to use a 3/8" breaker bar.
I have the parts , caliper holders and the piston spreaders but need to get the two bolts off.

2. Where can I get a workshop manual that would specify torques for getting it back together right.

Thanks in Advance, Bob.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:18 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie_bob
Hi Rennlist'ers , I am looking at replacing front brakes on my 2013 Cayenne .

1. What is the best way to get the get the two tripple-square blots off holding the caliper on .
I some l the tools and want to know if an impact wrench is required to get them loose. I am wanting to use a 3/8" breaker bar.
I have the parts , caliper holders and the piston spreaders but need to get the two bolts off.

2. Where can I get a workshop manual that would specify torques for getting it back together right.

Thanks in Advance, Bob.
Bob - we know it's a 2013, but what model? The turbos and GTS brakes are different from the normal Cayenne.

And the bolts - on all models - are specified one-time-use by Porsche, but especially on the radial mount calipers where torque on them is 104ft/lbs. You should NOT use any impact driver to remove them. The correct driver (triple-square on the radial mount drivers) and a 3/8" breaker-bar should be all that's necessary.

If you do have the radial mount calipers - there are some inexpensive special tools available that make the job WAY easier. These are pins that screw in place of the bolts, and you slide the caliper up on the pins to R&R the pads. Since the calipers are very heavy - these are well worth getting. Details are in the manual and on the ALLDATA website. SnapOn has a website that sells the tools for about $30.

A workshop manual can be found on Ebay - a PDF copy. It's usually around $35-40.

IMHO - (and I have both) a better option is to subscribe to the ALLDATA.COM version made for home wrenches.

The factory manual is for all models - and it repeats every section, even if absolutely identical - for each model. It's not terribly clear what model each section is for. It takes quite a while to get comfortable with. It is not easy to search for specific info due partly to it's size - 11,000 pages.

The ALLDATA website version is for your specific model and year - and is much easier to navigate. It's also inexpensive - there are frequent discounts offered. Right now it's $16.95/year and cheaper for multiyear subscriptions.

Its at alldatadiy.com (and I have nothing to do with alldata - just passing on my experience.)
Old 02-03-2017, 02:58 PM
aussie_bob
Intermediate

Thanks Don for all the details,

Just got back to this ... ( have been living on 2.5 gallons of water per day which is a distraction ), the Cayenne is the 3.0 Diesel ... not sure on the exact model number but it is the diesel released in the US in 2013.

I have the caliper holders and the triple-square sockets. I don't have the impact wrench but do have torque wrenched and a longer 3/8" bar to get the bolts off ... I assume the tighten in the usual direction as I am always unsure but don't see any reason why they would be different. On the triple-square bolts there some symbols ... I will try to add an image.

One time use on the tripple-square bolts that hold the calipers on ... that is an issue as I will need to purchase them.

First thing is I will get the shop manual on line to work off.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Brake Job