Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for Punishment

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid precisely the same price on Tuesday for an '06 Touareg V10 TDI, sold new in July of '07 (read warranty until July of 2011) with 5k miles.

I will/would not trade with you.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would explain the title of my post. But Dr W would be proud. I did try out the q7 and Toureg. No thanks esp the q7

On a side note I will say that the 06 and 04 drive very differently. It even sounds different. And the 20" michelins ride better than the 18" contis which is shocking. Plus the trade value was excellent although I wish I could get a refund for the cardan shaft. Bye bye beta!

Originally Posted by ltc
A brief stroll down memory lane, in case you have forgotten some of your recent comments.....then please tell me why you bought another Cayenne.....

03-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Ironically, I always used to buy VW's and Audi's - never had anything more than a minor problem with four different ones. It's amusing that many on here are concerned that the Cayenne is too much VW. I'd much rather have VW's build quality thank you very much. Not too mention the fact that maintenance costs are probably half as expensive in a Toureg or Q7 than the Cayenne.

03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't be in denial, there is no such thing as a good one. Unless you can prove it has had 1) new coils, 2) new cardan shaft, 3) new coolant pipes, 4) tranny control update, 5) proper alignment, etc. Not to mention you will need to check that the key range actually works, tailgate stays up and even after all of this, you will still have one of the most obnoxious (read lazy and shaky) automatic transmissions ever placed into a production automobile - okay I'm exxagerating a tad.

03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Electrical gremlins?!?! Never! I can't believe this nonsense! My 04 has never had any issues of the sort. The radio never cuts out, the alarm never goes off when getting out of the vehicle, and my cayenne has certainly never "played dead" but they somehow miraculously start-up! And the headlights, they always work! I have never seen the "!" in my life...
The Cayenne is a masterpiece of engineering prowess. But I regress...

03-30-2009, 09:50 AM
K Car - Perfect comparison
You could always find a nice big cement wall and let the Pig barrel towards it alone on a final journey. But I understand the "can't sell it" comment. I can't get rid of my 04. In fact, I'm not sure I could give it away.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Wow LTC you actually take notes of what people have said in the past??? You sir... have a lot of time on your hands.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

I drove the Touareg before I bought my Cayenne also. It was nice, but I liked the Cayenne better.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Wow LTC you actually take notes of what people have said in the past??? You sir... have a lot of time on your hands.
ltc is a very interesting character! We find out more about him everyday.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
ltc is a very interesting character! We find out more about him everyday.
Actually, very little is known about me.
I know it was difficult to leave my parents back on Krypton.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
On a side note I will say that the 06 and 04 drive very differently. It even sounds different.
OK, you've had enough Purplesaurus Rex, please step away from the punch bowl.
There are no differences in the 04 vs 06...

And the 20" michelins ride better than the 18" contis which is shocking.
Purely a byproduct of aspect ratio/sidewall stiffness. Been discussed here many many times before. Nothing shocking.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:39 PM
wirunner
Pro

The exhaust most definitely sounds different. Much more pronounced but in a good way. Maybe just age on the other. But the transmission is nothing like the 04. Maybe not fundamentally different but you know what I mean. No more weird shifting shaking etc.

The other big difference is the speed sensitive steering but you are right that's not model year specific.

The punch is good tho; you should try some.

Originally Posted by ltc

Purely a byproduct of aspect ratio/sidewall stiffness. Been discussed here many many times before. Nothing shocking.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$37,5

Good, no?

I don't think I'd see 5 figures on a trade in of my 06 's'

Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

The transmission thing could be related to your specific vehicle. My 2004 transmission doesn't do any strange things... no shifting shaking or anything like that. I think the only thing that I've ever noticed that I would consider unusual is that on really cold mornings it tends to shift a little slowly, but that goes away when it warms up.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by rome
I don't think I'd see 5 figures on a trade in of my 06 's'

Of course you would. Three different dealers told me 04's are wholesaling for around 18,750. I got quite a bit more than that trading in (prob due to super low miles)...but I also spent a week negotiating. Anyway, you'd be surprised. A savvy and patient car buyer can constantly switch cars without losing more than normal depreciation. I typically buy a different car every year.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I have to say that I also noticed big improvements moving from my 2004 CS to my current 2006 CTTS. Part of the improvment is, of course, moving up to the CTTS from the CS, but there are other discernable differences. For instance, in cold weather my 2004 CS creaked through the roof-line like an old truck going over uneven surfaces, like up a driveway apron. My 2006 CTTS, on the other hand, is rock solid. I mentioned this to my service guy at the dealership and he seemed unsurprised mentioning that these creaks and groans were common in alphas and betas, but subsequently corrected in later models. This is just one example of several I could mention.

After all, why do we call them "alphas" and "betas?" I contend there were clear improvements from the alpha and beta years. Could these improvements be due to enhancements in build quality rather than wholesale changes in the actual makeup of the vehicle? I don't claim to know the answers, but the 2006-present Cayennes I have driven seem noticeably improved in terms of general drivability and feel, with alphas and betas feeling more truck-like in their mannerisms.

Quick Reply: Ready for Punishment