XM radio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default XM radio question

Has anyone added XM Marine weather to a 2009 Cayenne? My XM account lists marine weather as available but my phone call to activate it hooked me up with a XM rep who was clueless.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bill walczak
Has anyone added XM Marine weather to a 2009 Cayenne? My XM account lists marine weather as available but my phone call to activate it hooked me up with a XM rep who was clueless.

You mean as in displaying XM datalinked radar, etc? That requires a special unit. You can't just take any XM receiver that also happens to have a map in the same box and access datalinked weather, unless something has changed.

The XM rep should have seen by the device number that you gave him that you didn't have compatible equipment.

I do admit that it would be cool though. I have carried my Garmin aviation GPS with XM weather in the car before and it's pretty nice to know where the storms are.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

No, nothing that complex just the marine weather forecast like you get on a VHF weather stations. I have it in my 535XI
Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bill walczak
No, nothing that complex just the marine weather forecast like you get on a VHF weather stations. I have it in my 535XI
Hmm..interesting that XM would pick that up and is able sell it as a separate "product." That's what makes America great I guess.

How about a cheap 25 dollar scanner from ebay that covers the 162.40-.55 range? Or spend a little more so you can cover more spectrum and see if the cops are after you. Or what that smoke is that you see up ahead.

Quick Reply: XM radio question