Sponsored by:

Locking Doors When Refueling

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
well it depends on whether your trying to keep people captive in your car or not, personally I would put the back seats down and lock them in a cage until you can get them in your basement.
That is funny!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'm missing something, as usual. My '05 will lock the doors with the fuel door open, as it will do with any door, other than the driver's, door ajar. In such circumstance, it will not flash the parking lights, thus alerting you that all is not secure. I'm not sure if the alarm is armed, as I've never tested it, but the LEDs in the door flash as if it is. Like the OP, I do not like to leave the vehicle unlocked while fueling in Dallas, or any other place. If I am preoccupied with fiddling with the credit card or the squeegee, it would take just a flash for some street urchin to pop open a door on the other side of the vehicle and make off with something valuable, like my briefcase, my Valentine 1, etc. Since I'm not as young as I used to be, and not nearly as fast, I doubt I could run him down and, even in TX, the constabulary would frown on my shooting a miscreant for "simple" theft. It's much easier to lock the doors.

Oh, and Dennis, just a few suggestions for the drive home - the aforementioned V-1, "Little Wing," "Caught in the Cross-Fire," and... oh, what the heck, take the whole collection and have a great trip!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by sigs
Oh, and Dennis, just a few suggestions for the drive home - the aforementioned V-1, "Little Wing," "Caught in the Cross-Fire," and... oh, what the heck, take the whole collection and have a great trip!

The iPod is ready. Full SRV collection ready to go. Hitting the road tomorrow AM!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 AM
bbcobby
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been away for a couple of days and am just finally getting to read through.

Dennis, seriously Dallas isn't that bad. It's really relatively safe out here in the 'burbs, but Sigs is right where I'm at on the locking the doors issue. I'm a woman and I'm usually refueling alone because I work and I lead a pretty independent life even though I have my Dear Husband. With the doors unlocked, it's just too easy for some miscreant to steal my purse or sneak into the car. Unfortunately, I'm a little paranoid because an acquaintance was abducted in broad daylight and murdered recently in another major metro area in Texas when she was out running errands so I'm really more worried about ending up in a cage in someone's basement with my lovely P-car parked in their garage.

LTC, if I try to talk the dealership into doing the non-standard configuration by bypassing the alarm, will they give me trouble or try to tell me that it will void the warranty on everything? I want to be prepared and know what to expect. When I told them about the issue initially, they pleaded ignorance. Maybe going in armed with a little more information will get me the desired result.

Thanks all. I promise I wasn't going for lawnmower talk or for a drying rack in the back of my Cayenne.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

BTW... a lawnmower will fit in the back of the Cayenne if you fold down the handle...
Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're in Texas - aren't concealed carry permits easy to get? Get one and learn how to use what you're carrying. I never leave home without mine.

Originally Posted by bbcobby
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been away for a couple of days and am just finally getting to read through.

Dennis, seriously Dallas isn't that bad. It's really relatively safe out here in the 'burbs, but Sigs is right where I'm at on the locking the doors issue. I'm a woman and I'm usually refueling alone because I work and I lead a pretty independent life even though I have my Dear Husband. With the doors unlocked, it's just too easy for some miscreant to steal my purse or sneak into the car. Unfortunately, I'm a little paranoid because an acquaintance was abducted in broad daylight and murdered recently in another major metro area in Texas when she was out running errands so I'm really more worried about ending up in a cage in someone's basement with my lovely P-car parked in their garage.

LTC, if I try to talk the dealership into doing the non-standard configuration by bypassing the alarm, will they give me trouble or try to tell me that it will void the warranty on everything? I want to be prepared and know what to expect. When I told them about the issue initially, they pleaded ignorance. Maybe going in armed with a little more information will get me the desired result.

Thanks all. I promise I wasn't going for lawnmower talk or for a drying rack in the back of my Cayenne.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by richc
You're in Texas - aren't concealed carry permits easy to get? Get one and learn how to use what you're carrying. I never leave home without mine.
See post # 17.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 AM
bbcobby
Intermediate

Yes, I'm in Texas. No, I'm not a huge fan of guns whether they're in someone else's hands or in my hands. I'm going to try to lock the car using the interior button instead of the key fob from the outside the next time I refuel and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Locking Doors When Refueling