Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 AM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The guts of the Pig!!

I was so lucky to have the joy of dropping the engine and trans unit from a Turbo this week. Figured some of you guys might enjoy the pics if you have not seen pig guts in person yet.

Last edited by porsche52; 12-18-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, so it's dropped with the front suspension still attached! Not a task for the majority of us DIY types.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
mattjtaylor50
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 15 Posts

now that defines a PIG!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics. Do I dare ask what is wrong with this PIG?

Please tell me this person is doing some kind of upgrade

BTW, is that picture from Stevinson? I've been there twice, best service experience ever.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:30 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Hey Vino, the name rings a bell. Drive a silver Turbo S? Good eye, that is the service depart. @ Stevinson. My name is Jeff, porsche tech @ Stevinson. Nothing major, torque converter pump seal leaking ATF fluid. If it were an "S" probably would have just pulled the Transmission, but being a Turbo it is a little less of a hasel to just drop everything IMHO. It is pretty cool, 10 bolts, disconnect some fluid lines, wiring harness, etc. and it comes right out. Good to hear that you enjoyed your service experiences with us. Look forward to seeing you in the future.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
stealthn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting, man that's compact. Those are tiny turbos. I did have one question; in the first picture there are 3 expansions in the exhaust line, I assume two are cats, but what's the third?

Cheers
Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthn
Thanks for posting, man that's compact. Those are tiny turbos. I did have one question; in the first picture there are 3 expansions in the exhaust line, I assume two are cats, but what's the third?

Cheers
There are 3 expansions, 2 cats and 1 mesh flexible joint. The first is the primary cat as you can see the pre and post cat O2 sensors. The mesh portion you see is just a flexible joint, soul purpose. The other expansion is the secondary cat. The turbos may be small, but remember there is TWO of them!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
There are 3 expansions, 2 cats and 1 mesh flexible joint. The first is the primary cat as you can see the pre and post cat O2 sensors. The mesh portion you see is just a flexible joint, soul purpose. The other expansion is the secondary cat. The turbos may be small, but remember there is TWO of them!
That is friggin' FANTASTIC! Thank you for the photos. Getting a good look at the expansion chambers I can see that my dream of a power increase by expanding the diameter of the exit downpipe is next to impossible.

Oh to dream... if simple plug and play O2 simulators where possible and available for those oxygen sensors on the primary cat, then one could plug them in, remove the cats completely and run a large diameter expansion pipe all the way back to the clamp point. Simple way to get more power by moving air OUT of the turbs more easily. So close, yet so far....

Great pics. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche52
Hey Vino, the name rings a bell. Drive a silver Turbo S? Good eye, that is the service depart. @ Stevinson. My name is Jeff, porsche tech @ Stevinson. Nothing major, torque converter pump seal leaking ATF fluid. If it were an "S" probably would have just pulled the Transmission, but being a Turbo it is a little less of a hasel to just drop everything IMHO. It is pretty cool, 10 bolts, disconnect some fluid lines, wiring harness, etc. and it comes right out. Good to hear that you enjoyed your service experiences with us. Look forward to seeing you in the future.
Close, I actually have a Titanium CTT. I was thinking with another member here to upgrade the intercoolers on our cars to Turbo S spec, he may have already done so. You may see me later this year to do it. I have not met any of the mechs, just dealed with Justin Underwood........hopefully he's still there

I'll introduce myself when I am in there the next time, nice to see a local mech on board! IMO, this is one of the better forums here on Rennlist.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, that thing is a monster!

nice pics!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice opportunity to also update the coolant tubes, check the coil packs and perhaps spend some quality time with the cardan shaft...
Old 03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Why, Lewis, are you implying that the cardan shaft "might" become unbalanced and cause certain noises at specific speeds?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Why, Lewis, are you implying that the cardan shaft "might" become unbalanced and cause certain noises at specific speeds?
! read !t once on an !nternet forum ...
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=JohnnyBahamas;6358656]That is friggin' FANTASTIC! Thank you for the photos. Getting a good look at the expansion chambers I can see that my dream of a power increase by expanding the diameter of the exit downpipe is next to impossible.

JB, Thank You for that fantastic avatar!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Nice opportunity to also update the coolant tubes, check the coil packs and perhaps spend some quality time with the cardan shaft...
All that fun stuff was done prior to this job. The coolant pipe upgrade is turning into what the RMS was on sports cars, gravy, gravy, gravy!! Except their is no multiple repair attempts just to punt and install re-man engine like a few years ago, miss those days for shure.

Quick Reply: The guts of the Pig!!