Sponsored by:

2006 TT S Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
MountainCar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 TT S Spare Tire

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and purchasing a 2006 Turbo S. It currently has a can of Fix-a-flat in the spare tire well. I would like to know if I can get a inflatable spare and what size will fit back there? The car has 20 inch wheels, if the 19 inch inflatable is the only option, can I run that in combo with the 20's in emergency's? I fear cutting a sidewall somewhere in the middle of offroad nowhere. has anyone installed the exterior tire carrier, how much $?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a price for the spare tire carrier:
http://www.eurodrivegear.com/Scripts...?idproduct=251

I would check with Sunset Imports in Oregon to see if they have a better price. Part no.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...aretireholder/

And you still have to get the spare wheel & tire and possibly paint to match the car. So it's big bucks!

As far as the inflatable tire, I will leave that to someone else to answer as I like to know too. According to this article, you cannot put a spare if you have 2nd battery:
http://www.leonoff.net/pages/cayenne...reinstall.html

And I still don't know which Cayennes have 2nd battery? All older Cayennes? Or all with PASM?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
And I still don't know which Cayennes have 2nd battery? All older Cayennes? Or all with PASM?
2nd battery is (was) an option, option code "J2C".
Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

"Was", so only up to what year? I have a 06 **** and I have a spare tire. I do not see the 2nd battery in sight when I lift up the floor board. I like to know for sure instead of finding out the hard way.... Thanks!

And a 2nd battery was an option huh... I don't get it. I would think a battery is something you need it or you don't. Something like an air compressor can draw a lot of power so a 2nd battery make sense. But what do I know...
Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
MountainCar
3rd Gear

Wilfred - Is your spare on a 19 inch wheel? Are you running 19's or 20's on the car?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:29 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Spare is on 18", 195-75-18 is the tire size. I have the 19" wheels that come standard with the titanium editions. For yours, I do not know if the Turbo S have bigger calipers. I know the V8 (S & Turbo) has bigger calipers than the V6 so smallest wheels you can fit is 18" (vs 17" on V6). But I just noticed you mentioned offroad, I wouldn't trust these inflatables on offroad at all. They don't look like much. If your Turbo S has tow hitch already and you don't want to spend big bucks on the Porsche spare tire carrier above, I would look into an aftermarket hitch mount carrier. They range anywhere from sub $100 to over $500... But if it doesn't have a tow hitch already, well, that's another can of worm you are about to open Search on this forum, I know I read someone installed just an aftermarket hitch (Curtis brand?) without the PITA wirings and the dealer programmings...

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=FMH

http://www.craigrsales.com/tihimosptica.html
Old 03-01-2009, 03:45 PM
MountainCar
3rd Gear

The Turbo S does have larger calipers, so I believe 20 inch wheels (or larger) are the only ones that will fit. That said, I don't know if you can get a spare under the rear floor. Anyone with a Turbo S that can comment?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by wilfred
"Was", so only up to what year? I have a 06 **** and I have a spare tire. I do not see the 2nd battery in sight when I lift up the floor board. I like to know for sure instead of finding out the hard way.... Thanks!

And a 2nd battery was an option huh... I don't get it. I would think a battery is something you need it or you don't. Something like an air compressor can draw a lot of power so a 2nd battery make sense. But what do I know...
Having trouble understanding your question. If you have a spare tire under the rear cargo panel then you DON'T have the second battery since the spare tire cubby is where the battery would go.

I'm sure someone would have a use for a 2nd battery but I can't think of one myself.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

The J2C option code is discontinued somewhere in the 04 build dates. Being the
Turbo S NOTHING smaller then a 20 will fit on the car....ask me how I know. Soo when I go offorading I just put in another wheel in the cargo area or just call AAA but I haven't needed either yet, cuz I also go offroading in the Turbo S

But I have gotten plently of flats all within a mile form my house!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
The J2C option code is discontinued somewhere in the 04 build dates. ....
Not so, it's still in the MY 2006 Order Guide, J2C is second battery option.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, but was it an option that the factory would accept and build?

The behind the scenes history behind the 2nd battery is fascinating and IIRC, Larry explained it once......insert MadFox STFF here.....
Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

I was told it was no longer available even tho it was listed because I inquired about it .
Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

MY 04 had it but the 06 does not.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Having trouble understanding your question. If you have a spare tire under the rear cargo panel then you DON'T have the second battery since the spare tire cubby is where the battery would go.

I'm sure someone would have a use for a 2nd battery but I can't think of one myself.
My question was to make sure I do not have a 2nd battery hidden somewhere, like how the main battery is hidden underneath the driver's seat. I do not want to find out the hard way like I have a dead battery, change the main, then to find out I do have another battery hidden somewhere else. That's all.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you had a second battery, it would be in the 'spare tire/subwoofer' compartment in the floor of the cargo compartment.

It would not be hidden anywhere else.
(P.S. If you do hear ticking coming from your audio system, don't worry, it's just more of Larry's little Easter Eggs.....although the Big One isn't programmed to activate until 2012, the last day of the Mayan calendar)

Again, Larry's bedtime story regarding on how the 2nd battery came into existence (and why it was not longer deemed necessary) is interesting reading.

Quick Reply: 2006 TT S Spare Tire