Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli Scorpion Ice/snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the 19" Scorpion Ice and Snows from November until now. Last month I had 24000 mile check up and those tires were measured with 51% tread wear after 16,000 miles of use. They look better than the 21" P 0 Rossos that only have 8000 miles on them that came on the car. Handling is not quite as crisp.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks guys, just what I want to hear! I have not taken the Cayenne to the mountains because of the original Conti summer tires it came with. Now I know what I will be replacing them with.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sigs
...NB: If it matters to you, unless things have changed, the Ice & Snow in 275/45R19 is NOT Porsche N-rated, supposedly because they mandate a narrower 255 width for snow tires. Since I see more ice, and much more pavement, than snow, I went with the 275s, anyway. Has sufficient load rating and I've had no issues in moderate snow. Have been very impressed with their dry-pavement performance, and they're not bad in mud, for what they are.
I will go with 275 as well. Here in SoCal mountains, they will usually close the road before R3:

R1: Chains or snow tires required.
R2: Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives with snow tires.
R3: Chains required on all vehicles. No exceptions.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The absolute best snow tire on a Cayenne is the Nokian Hakkapilita R. Nothing can touch them. Have to have the 18" or 19" rims though. If you need a source call Meadow Creek Tire in Denver, Colorado. They know Porsches and will ship them to you.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here is my recent write up.
Those are spectacular in the snow. I am very impressed. But I dont plan to keep them year around - asphalt temps in the summer, especially here in Greece are just too much I think.
Good luck
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ws-on-21s.html
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure you're all wondering how somebody in his right frame of mind (sic) can be reviving an old thread about winter tires in this sweltering heat?

Well, it all has something to do with PCNA & PCA issuing the 20% off eCoupon to all it's members. If you're not a member of PCA, you should definitely re-consider; at least for the available parts discount when purchasing at any Porsche dealership! In 2010 alone, PCA members received to-date: a 10%-off parts/tequipment coupon, a $100 redeemable tire coupon towards the purchase of Michelin high performance N-spec tires, a $100 redeemable tire coupon towards the purchase of Pirelli high performance N-spec tires and now, a 20% across-the-board eCoupon towards the purchase of parts/tequipment/etc...

I recently scored on a set of 'near-new' 20" Sport Design rims with TPMS sensors to use as winter rims for a "too-good-to-pass up" price. No, they didn't fall of the proverbial truck.

Yes, I know that I probably would have been better off with 19's or even 18's (Yes Virginia, 18's do fit the GTS and clear the calipers) however, I have no intention of degrading my truck's looks on the streets of Montreal for six months out of the year, otherwise I would have purchased a Kia Sportage with 14's.

Here's my dilemna: PAG recommends the 275/40R20 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow as an N-spec winter tire for both the 9" and 10" stock rim (Sport Techno & Sport Design). I was thinking of going with something a bit thinner to reduce my overall snow-plowing (during the odd heavy snowfall) such as a 245/45R20 in the Pirelli Ice & Snow series. Overall tire diameter between the two is identical. Unfortunately, no 20% discount on non N-spec tires purchased at the dealer.

Before you tell me that the dealer's N-spec tires are more expensive than your corner tire shop, do your research as I've recently done mine and was shocked at the results. N-spec tires purchased at the Porsche dealership are approximately $85 per tire cheaper! This is before the 20% discount which, when applied, yields an additional $340 off for a total savings of $680 over the corner tire store!!!

BTW, load index on the 275's is 106 (2100 lbs) and on the 245's, 103 (1929 lbs). Hardly a difference for a 4949-lb truck.

So, here it is:
1) Save +/-$700 by going with PAG specified N-Spec 275/40 R20 winters (Listen to the Germans) or,
2) Buy 245/45 R20 thinner winters for better traction in heavy snow and pay more for less tire (Ignore the Germans)

Oh, and did I mention that the 20% discount e-coupon expires tommorrow?
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's another tire calculator with more emphasis on the end specs of the tire.

Basically, we shave off about 1.25 inches (30 mm) on the footprint by going with the 45-series profile tire. All the specs were obtained by plugging in a typical 9" X 20" Porsche oem rim with a 60mm offset.

40-series or 45-series?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Pirelli Scorpion Ice/snow