Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase an 04 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow..that helps alot. Do you recall the type of work it needed. I do remember it had some slight curbage on the wheels. Also, how did the test drive go ?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
cayenne-kimo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, the most prudent way to buy a used cayenne is through a one owner private party or a CPO model from dealer. It's just too hard trying to get service history on the beast. Or get a good prepurchase inspection!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

I'd want complete service history and a solid PPI on any Porsche purschase, but especially on a model and a year that has a few known issues. Throw in the potential for a previously damaged vehicle, and you've got lots of issues to worry about.

It might be better to wait for another Cayenne to come along - there are plenty out there. Even if you have to drop down to a Cayenne S and get a newer model, it might be smarter.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Actually, the test drive was OK. It is honestly a nice truck, but it did need alot of work to Porsche certify it. Some of the work was stupid minor things I seem to recall, but I do believe the majority was for tires and wheels which would explain the $6-7K costs. I believe there may be some suspension work too. I do remember something with the interior, but it may have been minor. That was in addition to the $2K to certify it.

Honestly, the price of $31K (I am sure there may even be more room), is not bad, even if you need a set of tires. I think there may have only 2 wheels that were damaged. You can pick up a set of 18" OEM from ebay for about $600 wheels and tires, and then worry about the 20" in the summer. Even if you needed to put $3-5K in engine work, you will still be ahead of the game in my opinion.

Good Luck.

Originally Posted by mpevo8
wow..that helps alot. Do you recall the type of work it needed. I do remember it had some slight curbage on the wheels. Also, how did the test drive go ?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Actually, the test drive was OK. It is honestly a nice truck, but it did need alot of work to Porsche certify it. Some of the work was stupid minor things I seem to recall, but I do believe the majority was for tires and wheels which would explain the $6-7K costs. I believe there may be some suspension work too. I do remember something with the interior, but it may have been minor. That was in addition to the $2K to certify it.

Honestly, the price of $31K (I am sure there may even be more room), is not bad, even if you need a set of tires. I think there may have only 2 wheels that were damaged. You can pick up a set of 18" OEM from ebay for about $600 wheels and tires, and then worry about the 20" in the summer. Even if you needed to put $3-5K in engine work, you will still be ahead of the game in my opinion.

Good Luck.
That helps a ton. Those two issues are just the main ones that concern me. The suspension may be alot of money depending on the issue. The engine likewise. Anything specific about those two components that need checking ? The dealer is 15 minutes away so i can always check up on issues that may arise. (knock on wood)
Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really do not remember specifics. A PPI would be a very good investment in my opinion. Sometimes used car dealerships may not be open to having a private PPI done. If this dealer is not open to it, I would probably say not to get it.

On the flip side, Porsche dealers, as well as used car dealers inspect this cars relatively a good amount, and most likely would not even purchase the car at auction. Anyways, I would take a look at getting a PPI. I think it should cost about $250.

Originally Posted by mpevo8
That helps a ton. Those two issues are just the main ones that concern me. The suspension may be alot of money depending on the issue. The engine likewise. Anything specific about those two components that need checking ? The dealer is 15 minutes away so i can always check up on issues that may arise. (knock on wood)
Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, if this is your first Cayenne and you are not skilled at buying used, I would pass on this one. There will be others.

I would recommend an '06 for your first Cayenne. You could get an S from Carmax for mid to low 30's. At that price it would still have some of the factory warranty on it. Even w/ an '06 I have had to replace hood, trunk and headlight seals, as well as trunk springs/shocks on 2 cars. One car needed a new radio. This stuff adds up if you are OOW.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'd want complete service history and a solid PPI on any Porsche purschase, but especially on a model and a year that has a few known issues. Throw in the potential for a previously damaged vehicle, and you've got lots of issues to worry about.

It might be better to wait for another Cayenne to come along - there are plenty out there. Even if you have to drop down to a Cayenne S and get a newer model, it might be smarter.
^ + 1.
In other words....Run Forrest Run.
This Cayenne....really doesn't love you.....you deserve better.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

As mentioned before this vehicle was sold to VMLmotors which is a wholesale dealer i think. Not a Porsche Dealer. WOuld it be possible to obtain a PPI still ? They let me look at the vehicle, start it, rev it, etc. I have not driven it yet. Anyone or ANywhere in the northern nj area willing to do a PPI ? Any sources ? Im willing to pay.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

double..-_-
Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

I just sent this place an email asking if any of their techs would help inspect the car. We'll see. http://www.autosportnj.com/fix-your-car.shtml
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

The PPI is contracted by you through an indy shop or a Porsche expert in your area. I believe you can go to the PCA website. The thing you need to find out is if VML motors will allow you to do the inspection. The PPI sometimes requires you to take the car to the PPI shop.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

mpevo08,
please take your time with this purchase.
as has been mentioned, there are other Cayennes available with (potentially) fewer issues and warranty coverage.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Thanks to everyone thats helped so far. I've already sent them an email about this particular vehicle's history based on what i've heard from you guys and *OCNYPORSCHE* in particular. We'll see what they have to say. It's been 3 weeks since i first sought interest in this car. By far, this forum was the biggest help.

Heres the email just for reference..We'll see what they have to say.
"Hey Guys..Its Mitch..I've visited and checked the car out a few times already. Im in the process of getting my loan approved and had a few questions. I was able to review some of the vehicle history. Based on the carfax i was wondering how the vehicle made its way form FL to NJ. Also, i was informed that this particular cayenne was being sold by Fairfield Motors in Connecticut and needed some work done in order for it to be Certified. The suspension, wheels and tires in particular were some of the areas that were mentioned. Since then has this cayenne had any work done to it ? I will be visiting this weekend again to show my wife the car and get the final approval. I am still very interested and Look forward to speaking with you gentlemen again !"

BIG to the whole forum and OCNYPORSCHE.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
mpevo8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
The PPI is contracted by you through an indy shop or a Porsche expert in your area. I believe you can go to the PCA website. The thing you need to find out is if VML motors will allow you to do the inspection. The PPI sometimes requires you to take the car to the PPI shop.
You are correct. I just recieved an email back from autosport. The only problem know i seeing if they will let me do a PPI. Seems like a fair price to me.

"Unfortunately, are techs are not able to do off site inspections. We would be happy to perform the service for you here, at our shop, if you are able to bring the vehicle. Cost for the PPI is $95.00.

Regards

Autosport Performance

311 w. Forrest Avenue

Englewood, NJ 07631

Phone: 201.816.0911

Fax: 201.816.7337

Email: autosportpeformance@verizon.net

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase an 04 CTT