Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do cayennes make loud ticking noise in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
immacul8cs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took the vehicle in---possibly new engine---luckily under warranty----it was not the coils
Old 03-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Babinicz
1st Gear

Default So, what was it???

I have 04 Cayenne S with similar knocking sound out of warranty...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Originally Posted by immacul8cs
the sound comes only when the engine warms up then it is just tuck tuck tuck and it is coming from the centre of the engine and also from the top---right under the 4.5 cover----i will try to put it on you tube and post a link as i really need advice before taking to the stealer on monday and to be told---------it is normal----
had that noise on my 04 CS for entire 7 years 110k miles that i owned it. I think it was normal and i never replaced / repaired tubes or cardan shaft
Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too much good stuff on this thread already...

I was going to say early on, metaphorically speaking, these cars are considered ticking timebombs on so many levels.... but I couldn't find enough big words to post.

I did laugh out loud to Larry/Lewis' "in-depth analysis" commentary. And even louder to the keep your nose out retort... this forum has got to be the closest simulation to what living in an old folks home must be like - everyone's forced to sit around in the leisure room together in wheelchairs, unable to leave, and the smartasses just start firing off the first curmudgeonly comment that comes to mind (<-- THAT was a big word Larry!) I came for the Cayenne info; I stayed for the humor...

But dude - seriously, a new engine just from whatever's causing that sound? Is that what bad lifters or scored cylinders or failed RMS sounds like or something? I'm not a mechanic, but mine makes a softer version of that all the time...
The following users liked this post:
Mortimor (04-24-2023)
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Alright, before the smartasses smart-*** off, even if I was a mechanic... my car still makes that sound (softer). Poor sentence construct.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine makes the lighter faster paced tapping noise heard in the video. I've always assumed it was the injectors cycling or the lifters possibly. The deep heavier knock (tock you referred to) doesn't sound healthy; sounds like piston slap.

Sounds like yours has evolved into a diesel hybrid. Maybe running a 50/50 mix of 93 octane and diesel will take care of it.

ok, don't try that- just trying to fit in with the smart asses.
The following users liked this post:
Mortimor (04-24-2023)
Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joes95rx7
ok, don't try that- just trying to fit in with the smart asses.
You're in!

Quick Reply: do cayennes make loud ticking noise in engine bay