Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tornik550
so lets say that I had a bit of static discharge when I removed it. Would that kill a ecu?.
Yes, possible, although the modules are designed to withstand 'TBD' number/type of ESD events on all exposed connector pins.

Can they reprogram it if that were the case..
Probably not, it depends on the ESD failure....I doubt it's a 'soft' failure (F/W checksum), if it were the case, it would be a hard failure.

I am not allergic to peanuts, shellfish however I am starting to get a sensitivity to porsche..
No, you're developing a reaction to the Cayenne, which isn't exactly a Porsche.

I called suncoast to see how much a new ecu is. it is about 380 from them however they told me that one of my local porsche dealers had one in stock. it was 480. i purchased it locally because I need to get the car working asap..
Actually not as bad as I originally thought.
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what version of F/W is inside the ECU and if it's compatible with your TCU.....never mind, I don't think transmission clunking and hesitation are an issue at the moment, since the Cayenne is dead.....you probably should just tip it over on its roof, hooves up.

will porsche try to reprogram the ecu even if the ecu has evidence that it has been taken out? i can hide the evidence however the car is not under warranty so I don't see why they would care if it has been molested.
If it's out of warranty, it's on your dime, I don't think they would care. AFAIK, they (re)program ECU's in vehicle, so you might need a 'donor' Cayenne.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Just a suggestion from up here in the cheap seats.....

It's a Cayenne.
Stop trying to "improve" it.
Stop 'tinkering' with it.

Remember, no matter how much BS you pile on top of a Cayenne, nothing good is ever going to grow.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
chily2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I check to see if anybody stole the engine. I popped the hood and all I see is a bunch of plastic covers. just kidding.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmn, sense of humor still in tact.
Obviously 'Cayenne ownership illness' hasn't set in yet.

I guess I'll have to program his wipers to turn on when he adjusts his radio...oh wait, already did that on the PCM3.x systems.....I can just hear the swearing in German right about now.....
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

OK, so you bought a new ECU.....does the pig squeal when you turn the key?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
chily2008
Instructor

I purchased the new ecu but I haven't picked it up yet. well, I mean that somebody else hasn't picked it up for me yet because I DON'T HAVE A DRIVABLE CAR!!! It is snowing here so my c2 it worthless. My 914 with racing slicks doesn't do well in the snow either.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Is a cayenne ctt ecu really this delicate? I have got the one in my 951 wet (long story) a number of times and it still is fine. Not sayin i wanted to take the one in the cayenne for a swim but was thing of getting the same thing done...flashed that is ????

costas
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Oh, this is waaaaay to good. Larry has actually come back without the aid of a séance or an Ouija board!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
chily2008
Instructor

I just got home and plugged in the new ECU. Now the freakin car says immobilizer active and will not start. The key transponder unlocks the car but it doesn't start the car. I saw a few other posts that have mentioned this same problem however I could not find a way to fix the problem.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am pretty sure that all the components on the system have to be set up using PIWIS, the Kessy system especially
Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

The Cayenne thinks someone is trying to 'hot wire and steal' it.

As previously mentioned, PIWIS time.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM
chily2008
Instructor

The Big Problem is that the Pig is stuck in my garage. Right now I have 3 Porsches sitting in my garage and I had to borrow somebodies Ford Focus to get to work. This is absurd!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Big Problem is that the Pig is stuck in my garage. Right now I have 3 Porsches sitting in my garage and I had to borrow somebodies Ford Focus to get to work. This is absurd!!!
From beyond the grave Larry loves this... it brings whole new meaning to:
Garage Queen(s)
Pigs in a Blanket
Exotic Used Car Showroom.

sorry, Tornik.. was at the Purplesaurus Bar way late last night!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I would not give up on the old ECU. I still do not think that by simply unplugging it, that it will not work anymore.

Did you try all of the keys too? Is the battery completely charged? The only other thing I can think of is maybe since you have been pressing the brake pedal a good amount without the car on, that maybe the pedal is not being pushed down enough? Pressure builds up and the pedal becomes hard to push down. I know I am really reaching, but maybe you can get under there and see if you can push the switch manually.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I would not give up on the old ECU. I still do not think that by simply unplugging it, that it will not work anymore.

Did you try all of the keys too? Is the battery completely charged? The only other thing I can think of is maybe since you have been pressing the brake pedal a good amount without the car on, that maybe the pedal is not being pushed down enough? Pressure builds up and the pedal becomes hard to push down. I know I am really reaching, but maybe you can get under there and see if you can push the switch manually.
I think that the problem was a static issue. I was not overly careful when manipulating the original ECU. I tried all the keys that I have- only one. Battery has been completely charged. I also tried a new fully charged 996 battery that I have. The brake pedal is soft (normal). I never tried to press the switch manually. The pig has been loaded onto its wagon and now is in the stall at Midwestern Auto Group in dublin ohio. I have already called my bank and prepared them to release a huge amount of money to the dealer.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!!- Engine Not Starting, ECU?