Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!!- Engine Not Starting, ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it's there get another key and remote, if you loose the only one, you will not be happy.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two steps ahead of you. I figured that if I was going to get screwed by the dealer, better go all the way. I actually had a new key/keyfob (with barcode) that I took in with the car to get reprogrammed.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
cayenne-kimo
Intermediate

Default ...leave the Pig alone!

This thread has taught me not to screw with the pig. So like the old saying goes..."let sleeping pigs lie!"
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
chily2008
Instructor

I thought that I should update everybody on the current progress as it is quite interesting. This morning I got a call from Midwestern Auto Group (AKA- MAG, the porsche dealer who has my pig). They told me that they tried to program the new ecu however it had been programmed already with a different cars information and because of that the ECU is worthless. I was told that they cannot reprogram a ecu that is programmed to a different vehicle. MAG also told me that the box was clearly opened- they say that the factory porsche tape was cut and clear tape applied over it. MAG is now going to order a new ECU.

I called Byers Porsche (the place that I got the ECU) to arrange for a return. They said that they will not take it back because there are no returns on electronic parts. I told them that they sold me a used part for a new part price and that they will be taking it back. They said that the only way was that they could exchange it. That is BS because they are far away from my home. It would take me a while to get the ecu to them, they reorder it, I pick it up and take it to MAG. My pig would be in the shop for a few weeks!!! Very pissed off.

I told MAG just to order the new ECU and I would deal with Byers later. Anybody have any ideas of how to stick it to Byers.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG what a nightmare !

I think they are BS'ing the reprogramming of ECU's. I am sure that Porsche send them out as part of their warranty parts program (fine print, new or reconditioned) Most likely the dealer does not know how to use PIWIS (not uncommon)

For Byers to be selling warranty program parts as new, thats another matter. Wonder if PCNA would like to hear that ? maybe.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tornik550
They told me that they tried to program the new ecu however it had been programmed already with a different cars information and because of that the ECU is worthless. I was told that they cannot reprogram a ecu that is programmed to a different vehicle.

Hmmm, this is a new variation on Porsche's "unique wiring harness per car" decision! OMG!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. I am not sure why it will take weeks however. I would see if the can expedite it.

I would see maybe Porsche NA could help deal with the 2 dealers, especially if one dealer is saying the other sold you something used.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about that. I am not sure why it will take weeks however. I would see if the can expedite it.

I would see maybe Porsche NA could help deal with the 2 dealers, especially if one dealer is saying the other sold you something used.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM
chily2008
Instructor

If I get all of the work done at MAG, then I can have it done tomorrow however I will get screwed on the price of the ECU that I got at Byers as they will not take it back (only exchange).

If I return the ECU to byers for an exchange, then it will take forever because they are far from my house, it is snowing and I do not have a snow worthy car at the moment. After I drop it off, they would order a new ecu and ten I would have to find a way to pick it up- this is why it would take a week or so.

The people from MAG are calling the other dealer to let them know what was going on, we will see what happens.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
chily2008
Instructor

The pig is back on the road. MAG got me a new ecu, programmed it. Now the car works great again. Still have to fight to get my money back for the first ecu, but at least I can drive my car again.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
cayenne-kimo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tornik550
The pig is back on the road. MAG got me a new ecu, programmed it. Now the car works great again. Still have to fight to get my money back for the first ecu, but at least I can drive my car again.
Or you can get the ecu exchange from Byers and keep as a spare or better yet get it chipped.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Getting a new one from them is good, and maybe selling it can work as well. Best is to get your money back though, and if they did sell you a used one, they should solve it quick.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
chily2008
Instructor

I am now trying to get my money back from Byers Imports. I have my car back and it is running fine however I still need to get my money back for the ECU that I purchased from Byers. Heres where I am at. Any advice would be appreciated.

I contacted Byers again, they said that they would only exchange the ECU. I told them that this is not acceptable. The only acceptable option from them is to return my money. They said "were not going to do that".

At that point I called PCNA. They were fairly worthless. I told them the situation and they said that the best that they could do was to send a letter to byers stating my complaint. They said that since the dealers are independently owned, they cannot intervene. I mentioned that the reason that I was calling was because they are a dealer that has the Porsche name and that I would think that PCNA would have an interest in a dealer with their name selling faulty parts. They were pretty much not helpful.

I then called the GM at Byers and told him the situation. He was nice and acted helpful. He implied that they would take a return however he needed to talk to the parts managers.

If this doesn't work out. I will call the credit card company and tell them so that they will cancel payment.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Heres some pictures of the receipts, ecu, ecu packaging. I have ordered many Porsche parts but I do not remember any being wrapped in ripped cardboard. Also, the box was clearly re- taped at some point. Also, on the MAG receipt it mentions that I took the
Attached Images       
Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I would call Atlanta

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!!- Engine Not Starting, ECU?