Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!!!- Engine Not Starting, ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!- Engine Not Starting, ECU?

I desperately need help. I am very confused. I took my ECU out of my 05 CTT. I was considering sending it in to get chipped however I changed my mind. I had the ecu out for about 3 hours. I put the ecu back in and and now the car will not start. When I turn the key, it just says "press brake pedal" even though I am pressing it. Everything else seems to work just fine however the engine does nothing. I made sure that the ECU was hooked up properly, still didn't start. I checked the fuses, no blown fuses. I checked the battery, it was dead. I can't understand how a 2 month old battery can go dead in 3 hours with nothing on in the car. I charged it and still the car would not start.

Is there something that I am missing?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear Tornik550:

You have a legitimate grievance with Dr. W and the powers that be at PCNA. Since it was only 3 hours after removing your ECU, it should be working.

Uh-hummmm.. Larry, I believe that you are required to undo your voodoo hex on Tornik550's CTT. In reading Section 412 which is the "ability to disavow ownership" clause of your Cayenne ownership termination contract with Dr. W. It says and I quote "torment of current Cayenne owners who mess with their ECU chips can only be done if said chip has been removed for OVER 4 hours."

Clearly this is a violation of your "never owned one" contract............ Therefore as forum bartender and on behalf of Tornik550, I request immediate restoration of said vehicle to perfect working order.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

How old is your battery? Have you considered that it simply might have died (the battery, not the Cayenne--sorry to excite you Lar) and you need to replace it. Maybe it won't hold a charge? You might start by getting the battery tested and go from there.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Conflicting data...warning Will Robinson, danger, danger.
(sorry, slight detour down memory lane).

Didn't I tell you in a previous post (and I quote....don't make me post the exact link):
Don't Do It
Don't go there

Well, you just had to go there, didn't you. Like a moth to a flame, or in this case, a lemming to a cliff. The ECU is 'buried' for a reason....same reason years ago the rear panels of TV's had an interlock to remove voltage when you took off the rear cover....but I digress

OK, the battery could not have been completely dead, since you were allowed access into the temple that IS the Cayenne and the MFC was functional enough to display 'Step On Me Please'.

1. Any other signs of life? Unusual clicking/relays/solenoids? Any other systems (infotainment, lights, etc) operational?

2. When you say the battery went dead in 3 hours, describe 'dead'. Zero volts? 7 volts? Measured how/where?

3. Ever play the game 'Operation' as kid? Are you absolutely sure you didn't 'touch anything' electrically in your rush to remove the ECU and run to "Chips R Us'? No indications of sparking? No indications of bent pins? No blown fuses in ANY of the multiple fuse box locations?

4. Are you allergic to shellfish, latex or peanuts? (just seeing if you're still with me, calm down)

The battery COULD be drained down in 3 hours with a high enough quiescent load, but you would have noticed it.
As previously suggested, you obviously need to replace the battery (P.S. before you ask, yes you're sitting on it, it's under your chair), and when reconnected, I would recommend putting an ammeter in series (DO NOT CRANK THE CAR) and measure the 'dark current' or 'quiescent' current....should be quite low.

Or, if you're impatient, you can go straight to play time with jumper cables, attach them to the Cayenne, yell "CLEAR", hit the switch and see what happens (no I'm not a Dr. but I am a fan of the show 'House')

There are other possibilities (AFAIK, there is no theft prevention in the ECU's, just infotainment devices...but "it's been a while and as part of the settlement with PCNA, there was some memory erasure".....you could have damaged the ECU with ESD/EOS, thus rendering it dead, but I'm sure we'll get to those later.

Or, you could simply drag the rotting hulk that once was a Cayenne to your local dealer, throw yourself and your credit card upon the mercy of the service department (the folks in accounting LIVE for moments like this) and with the help of proper tools, PIWIS and your offshore bank account, your Cayenne can be saved.

Apart from that, I have no feelings in this case....I'm going back to my coffin now....the next time knock first......you don't know what I do in there.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the brake pedal switch may be broken
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
the brake pedal switch may be broken
Perhaps, but it is easy to verify operation by:
A. listening for the solenoid to disengage allowing the gear selector to be taken out of park
and
B. verifying that the brake lights are working.

I still say he's allergic to peanuts.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Dear Tornik550:

You have a legitimate grievance with Dr. W and the powers that be at PCNA. Since it was only 3 hours after removing your ECU, it should be working.

Uh-hummmm.. Larry, I believe that you are required to undo your voodoo hex on Tornik550's CTT. In reading Section 412 which is the "ability to disavow ownership" clause of your Cayenne ownership termination contract with Dr. W. It says and I quote "torment of current Cayenne owners who mess with their ECU chips can only be done if said chip has been removed for OVER 4 hours."

Clearly this is a violation of your "never owned one" contract............ Therefore as forum bartender and on behalf of Tornik550, I request immediate restoration of said vehicle to perfect working order.
Perhaps, I would first have to consult with legal counsel and get a ruling on this....restraining orders are 'touchy'.

Regarding the subject at hand, this is a common disease amongst owners of turbo vehicles,, and it runs rampant in the 996TT forum.
The VAST majority of owners can't wait to 'tinker' with the end result of Weissach engine development. After all, what do they know about engines at Porsche. I KNOW for a fact that this engine should be good for at least 600hp....the guy who sold me this chip said so...and look at his car.....really big wheels, aftermarket body kit, hairy chest, really big gold chains and an impressive dyno sheet. I'll never understand it. So, let the modding begin anyways....

Of course then when something breaks or doesn't work as advertised (MAF, CEL, etc problems), it's time to either cry on the shoulder of a fellow forum member or take it to the dealer and say "I dont' know, it just stopped working".

It's a Cayenne. It weighs almost as much as Oprah, an extra 50hp is not going to make any difference. Don't pick at it, it won't heal. Leave it alone. Start out small....say, windshield wiper upgrades, perhaps spend some quality time in the Car Car and Concours section....you know, baby steps.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Time for an intervention perhaps....

As often preached by MadFox (official forum bartender and inventor of the STTF or STFF.....STILL waiting for an emoticon for that one......), I did a search for the OP posts in this forum.....

05 CTT will not start ( 1 2)
Anybody Familiar With This CAI?
05 CTT Rough Acceleration/Stuttering ( 1 2 3)
Where is the ECU in a CTT?
How much does a CTT ECU cost?

You're right, who could have seen this one coming.?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You Republicans and your politics !

Can't you ever forget the past

Originally Posted by ltc
Perhaps, but it is easy to verify operation by:
A. listening for the solenoid to disengage allowing the gear selector to be taken out of park
and
B. verifying that the brake lights are working.

I still say he's allergic to peanuts.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:49 AM
chily2008
Instructor

I should clarify that my battery was not completely dead. It was partially drained. The battery is a new battery with about 2 months of service. When I turn the key, I everything in the car works properly however the engine doesn't start. Nothing related to the engine works at all- for example, solenoid... I do hear a fan that gets fairly loud.

I have the battery charged now and that did not fix the problem. I think that the battery was a red herring.

I did not see any sparks or anything like that when removing the ecu.

FYI- I did not purchase the cai as mentioned in a previous post. i did have some coil problems however those are now resolved.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

So what you're describing is as if the anti theft system is active (ignition lockout).
Does keyless entry work? (yes, you are given permission to stand on the roof due to limited key fob range)

I would suggest erasing all fingerprints around the ECU and having the dealer hook up PIWIS and reinitialize the modules.....assuming you are 100% sure there are ZERO blown fuses ANYWHERE.

Or peanuts......
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
You Republicans and your politics !

Can't you ever forget the past
I prefer internet web forum anarchist.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
chily2008
Instructor

so lets say that I had a bit of static discharge when I removed it. Would that kill a ecu? Can they reprogram it if that were the case.

I am not allergic to peanuts, shellfish however I am starting to get a sensitivity to porsche.

I called suncoast to see how much a new ecu is. it is about 380 from them however they told me that one of my local porsche dealers had one in stock. it was 480. i purchased it locally because I need to get the car working asap.

will porsche try to reprogram the ecu even if the ecu has evidence that it has been taken out? i can hide the evidence however the car is not under warranty so I don't see why they would care if it has been molested.

Originally Posted by ltc
As often preached by MadFox (official forum bartender and inventor of the STTF or STFF.....STILL waiting for an emoticon for that one......), I did a search for the OP posts in this forum.....

05 CTT will not start ( 1 2)
Anybody Familiar With This CAI?
05 CTT Rough Acceleration/Stuttering ( 1 2 3)
Where is the ECU in a CTT?
How much does a CTT ECU cost?

You're right, who could have seen this one coming.?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible someone stole your engine?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by richc
Is it possible someone stole your engine?
Now that is 'outside the box' thinking

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!!- Engine Not Starting, ECU?