Horn issues...again

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Marc, did PAG change over to a siren on +08 models? My alarm sounds a siren. Ask me how I know....
Yes, they did change it on the later cars.
I only found out my alarm horn was dead when my dog set the alarm off
Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM
jetmax
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are the horns located?
I just got my horns in the mail, but need to know how to remove the broken ones, and where they are located? photos help me a lot
Old 12-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Adam Conrad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piece of cake to replace once the front bumper is off on a turbo
Non turbo you can sometimes access by going through the wheel well
Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my second horn failure in the '04 CS. Or maybe it was the third or fourth failure. I lose count because they sometimes come back to life when the weather warms up.

I bought both OEM horns because I wasn't 100% sure which one was out and today I took it to my indy wrench and he just called and told me the car was ready and that "it was a nightmare". I was afraid to ask the price so instead what came out of my mouth was "which one did you replace" (like it mattered) and he said "Both". At this point I am hearing "cha-ching" so I asked what the bill was and he said $188. And he even apologized for it!

So for you Chicago-area guys: Helmut and Vito's in Downers Grove. Write that down.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I really do think that PAG should issue a recall for this as well as an overall re-design of the horn arrangement onto the front crossmember.

My recent suggestion to the dealer's S.A. was to perhaps cover the horn openings with some nylon material (similar to those that women wear) and tyrap them in order to prevent large amounts of water from being ingested.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one who has never used the horn on my Cayenne? I assume it sounds like a big ship...
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I really do think that PAG should issue a recall for this as well as an overall re-design of the horn arrangement onto the front crossmember...
I'm all for that... right after the coolant pipes recall.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
Am I the only one who has never used the horn on my Cayenne? I assume it sounds like a big ship...
Yeah... a sinking one.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, if the problem is not considered a safety issue the recall won't get issued. It's as simple as that. If the coolant pipes fail, aside from a white smoke show I'm sure you can still drive your truck to the side of the road and call AAA. You'll probably seize your engine in the process but you're still safe.

If the heater core was to burst and spew hot scalding coolant on it's occupants, rest assured that the NHTSA would be all over PAG.

A horn is there to help prevent accidents (Don't ask me how I know this). In some small 3rd-world countries, drivers drive with one hand on the horn and the other on the wheel.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My horn went out on Monday. Traitor went completely silent on me just when I needed to let a cabbie know how I really felt about him cutting me off. Had to settle for flipping him the bird. Got new horns, only to find out it was the fuse.

One of the scariest things is to be left "hornless" in Manhattan....
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
One of the scariest things is to be left "hornless" in Manhattan....
Pops, I feel for you. The second scariest thing is to actually drive a car in Manhattan. I thought the cabbies were nasty but the bus drivers are just plain ludicrous!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pops, I feel for you. The second scariest thing is to actually drive a car in Manhattan. I thought the cabbies were nasty but the bus drivers are just plain ludicrous!
Cabbies, buses, messengers (drive fast and generally know what they're doing, though have a tendency to jump under the wheels in most inopportune times), oblivious women on bicycles and in heels, petty cabs who like to drive in a caravan and of course the pedestrians who love to leisurely stroll when the right of way isn't theirs.

But .... driving in Manhattan is the best experience one can get.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
elycayenne06
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced both Low and High Pitch horns on my CS6. For me, the most difficult part was to unlock these connectors. Why did they make harness so short? And why they get flooded and die? By the way, horns have markings that indicate that they are made in Spain… Also, High Pitch is on the driver side and it is marked as 400Hz, and Low Pitch is on the passenger side and it is 500Hz. I got them from Amazon for $38.21 each. Both original horns had some water and particles banging inside when shaken. It was mentioned here to turn them up, so I tried. In the process I realized that it is not easy, because of the shape of the brackets and a short harness. So, I came up with a simple solution. I took the original brackets and hammered them down till they became completely flat. Then I bend those about 30 degrees, so the horn wouldn’t touch fog light and now it’s easy to rotate them so they are pointing up.
Then I took a jigsaw and cut the connectors off the old horns. My thinking is that, if these horns will die again, I will use the connectors to create extension harness in stead of splicing as is difficult to reach short harnesses.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,382 Likes on 866 Posts

Mine were replaced multiple times when I lived in Indiana. Now that I live in Colorado with an average humidity of less than 20%, my horns haven't had an issue!

Quick Reply: Horn issues...again