Sponsored by:

Nokian WR S.U.V. All Weather Plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 AM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nokian WR S.U.V. All Weather Plus

Has anyone tried Nokian WR S.U.V. All Weather Plus tires on their Cayenne?

Link => Nokian WR S.U.V. All Weather Plus

I am thinking that I will need new tires fairly soon... and certainly before winter... and I am giving some consideration to the Nokians.

The ones listed for my 17" rims are rated at 108V, and the ones for the 18" Cayenne rims (i.e. 255/55/18, right?) are 109V. Those are acceptable ratings, true?

I had a set of these on my 2001 Audi allroad (before I traded it in for my Cayenne), and I thought they were great. I'm just curious how they will do on the Cayenne, given that it is much heavier than the allroad, with stock springs vs. the air suspension in the Audi.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I have them and love them. No switching of tires wheels 2x/year. They handle well in the winter. Last winter was pretty mild but up on the slopes no issues with slippage, etc. I had my wife with me so I wasn't allowed to really test the tires. I have about 12k on the tires with very little wear. Other members have reported excellent wear and not needing to replace for >40k.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade-MD
I have them and love them. No switching of tires wheels 2x/year. They handle well in the winter. Last winter was pretty mild but up on the slopes no issues with slippage, etc. I had my wife with me so I wasn't allowed to really test the tires. I have about 12k on the tires with very little wear. Other members have reported excellent wear and not needing to replace for >40k.
Blade I can't comment on your tires, but that sig pic of yours is GREAT!

Well done.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
JGriff
Racer

Thanks... I appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear that you and others are happy with them.

A couple more questions... how are they during the non-winter months? Are they stiff? Noisy? How is the handling?

If you don't mind... would you share how much you paid for them? Did you buy them local, or did you happen to find a place with the best price and have them shipped to you? The set I bought for my allroad were purchased through a place in Vermont... who had the best price. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the place.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
pred8or
Racer

I'm on my second set and got almost 60k miles out of the first set on my 2004 CS. Paid somewhere around 8-900 cant remember exactly.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Blade I can't comment on your tires, but that sig pic of yours is GREAT!

Well done.
Thanks man. He is the joy of my life. My wife is 26 weeks pregnant with twin girls. That will help balance out our family considering we have two other boys: 18 & 11 years. Just glad God blessed me with girls and we will not be running a frat house.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JGriff
Thanks... I appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear that you and others are happy with them.

A couple more questions... how are they during the non-winter months? Are they stiff? Noisy? How is the handling?

If you don't mind... would you share how much you paid for them? Did you buy them local, or did you happen to find a place with the best price and have them shipped to you? The set I bought for my allroad were purchased through a place in Vermont... who had the best price. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the place.

Thanks.
To answer your questions:
They are noisier than the Michelin Diamris that I used for summer months. Those were smooth and quiet. The Nokians are a tad bit noisier and stiffer. Handling is fine however. I have hit about 110 mph with a solid feel to the vehicle. Still it is a trade off but one that I was willing to make. If the Michellins had a life of 40k+ I would go back to them.

With disposal fee of old tires and balancing and alignment of new tires the bill came out to around $1300. I bought them through a local dealer that handles the higher end vehicles. I don't have the receipt but they weren't cheap. Pretty much the same price as Michellin's but with greater longevity and usability in all conditions. I can dig up the receipt from last August and let you know if important but that does give you a ballpark figure.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 AM
JGriff
Racer

To answer your questions:
They are noisier than the Michelin Diamris that I used for summer months. Those were smooth and quiet. The Nokians are a tad bit noisier and stiffer. Handling is fine however. I have hit about 110 mph with a solid feel to the vehicle. Still it is a trade off but one that I was willing to make. If the Michellins had a life of 40k+ I would go back to them.

With disposal fee of old tires and balancing and alignment of new tires the bill came out to around $1300. I bought them through a local dealer that handles the higher end vehicles. I don't have the receipt but they weren't cheap. Pretty much the same price as Michellin's but with greater longevity and usability in all conditions. I can dig up the receipt from last August and let you know if important but that does give you a ballpark figure.
No need to dig out the receipt... the ballpark figure is fine. I looked last night at the Nokian site, and it showed $229 list price for each (for the 17s). When I did a search for a local dealer, it shows that there is one in the same area as the Porsche dealer that I go to... so I'll most likely call them.

Thanks again... I appreciate the input.

Wow... you're gonna' have a full house!! Congrats on the girls... that will help to balance out the gender mix in the house. We have four boys (8, 6, 4, and 1)... I'm not sure it would ever be possible to "make a girl". Even the dog is a male!! Too much testosterone in our house, that's for sure!!

Will the Highlander be able to serve as the family hauler? I believe that it seats seven... but with three car seats, will it be tight? I ask because sometimes we feel the Odyssey isn't big enough for us, and we've considered getting a Suburban instead (especially as the boys grow larger). I know that they have revised the Highlander this year... just curious if they also made it bigger inside. (I looked at the Pilot revision, and it looks nice... but they really didn't make it bigger... especially behind the third row seat. That's where we feel we need some extra space... to haul all of life's "stuff".)
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks man. He is the joy of my life. My wife is 26 weeks pregnant with twin girls. That will help balance out our family considering we have two other boys: 18 & 11 years. Just glad God blessed me with girls and we will not be running a frat house.
Yikes! You are outgrowing the Highlander, so now you will need to get a new vehicle for the kids to trash. Maybe a Hummer limo or something.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JGriff
No need to dig out the receipt... the ballpark figure is fine. I looked last night at the Nokian site, and it showed $229 list price for each (for the 17s). When I did a search for a local dealer, it shows that there is one in the same area as the Porsche dealer that I go to... so I'll most likely call them.

Thanks again... I appreciate the input.

Wow... you're gonna' have a full house!! Congrats on the girls... that will help to balance out the gender mix in the house. We have four boys (8, 6, 4, and 1)... I'm not sure it would ever be possible to "make a girl". Even the dog is a male!! Too much testosterone in our house, that's for sure!!

Will the Highlander be able to serve as the family hauler? I believe that it seats seven... but with three car seats, will it be tight? I ask because sometimes we feel the Odyssey isn't big enough for us, and we've considered getting a Suburban instead (especially as the boys grow larger). I know that they have revised the Highlander this year... just curious if they also made it bigger inside. (I looked at the Pilot revision, and it looks nice... but they really didn't make it bigger... especially behind the third row seat. That's where we feel we need some extra space... to haul all of life's "stuff".)
The Highlander will work to haul the 10 month old and two newborns, but it is quite tight. It can be done but a minivan (for the wife) is definitely on the horizon. We have a Nanny that is helping as my wife is now on modified bedrest. I plan to get an Odyssey or Sienna very soon for the Nanny. My wife would use the minivan when she needed.
The Highlander does have three very usable rows of seating that are comfortable even for an adult. Thats where it ends though. When all three rows are up there is room for some groceries in back but nothing else. I figure until the youngest kids are about 8-10 the minivan will work (where you are now in life) and then it is onto the Suburban or equivalent. We drove a Nissan Armada on a recent family trip and that was great. We even got 17 mpg. Not bad.

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Yikes! You are outgrowing the Highlander, so now you will need to get a new vehicle for the kids to trash. Maybe a Hummer limo or something.
Minivan

Quick Reply: Nokian WR S.U.V. All Weather Plus