Sponsored by:

Was thinking about a pre-owned Cayenne S for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Was thinking about a pre-owned Cayenne S for the wife

Cause we are eventually going to need a baby-hauler.

But then I got to thinking, I live in California where we have a new, no cell phone law while driving. As the Cayenne S of yester years doesn't have any Blue Tooth function and is also a fortune to install a satellite radio, I am going to get her something else instead. maybe the Audi Q5 when it comes out or even the *blech, Merc ML she wants.

I know I can install an aftermarket BT kit, but they never seem to work as well as the integrated kits I've had on my Bimmers.

It's amazing how something so small and stupid, like a simple BT feature, can totally steer you away from one manufacturer into the arms of another.

I'm still amazed at this time that Porsche doesn't realize they are losing New and Used car sales because of things like BT and outrageously expensive Sirius radio. My 997 Turbo can't even have satellite hooked up without voiding warranty.

Sometimes the stupidity of Porsche really amazes me. Sorry, rant over.

B
Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default naw

it's not the bluetooth you have to weigh, it's how much the divorce would cost you after you got the cayenne for her....
Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
It's amazing how something so small and stupid, like a simple BT feature, can totally steer you away from one manufacturer into the arms of another.

I'm still amazed at this time that Porsche doesn't realize they are losing New and Used car sales because of things like BT and outrageously expensive Sirius radio. My 997 Turbo can't even have satellite hooked up without voiding warranty.

Sometimes the stupidity of Porsche really amazes me. Sorry, rant over.

B

Thanks, I really needed that.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

...It's amazing how something so small and stupid, like a simple BT feature, can totally steer you away from one manufacturer into the arms of another...
And others might find it amazing that someone would use that criteria for selecting a car.
I'm not criticizing, just pointing out that Porsche has always been more interested in performance than consumer technology (you can start with cup-holders).
I'd bet that Porsche doesn't see its typical customer being too concerned with Bluetooth integration or Satellite Radio.
I'm just sayin'...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Leader,

I would disagree with you. My 997 Turbo has a phone module for the nav system so clearly they do have some interest in consumer technology.
And to use said phone module, I must remove the sim card from my phone, place it in a little dish on the nav unit, and slide it in. (F&*^ing MORONS)...

As far as criteria for selecting a car, I own two 911's. A 997 T and a 993 C2S. And they don't get used nearly as much as they should... Why? Because no matter how much fun it is to drive a 911 Turbo, taking Interstate 5 north to Laguna Seca is outright boring regardless of what you're driving (unless you want to go to jail for driving 150mph.) My point is, I opt to take my non porsche car with Sirius to make the drive more friendly.

So, if those moron porsche engineers can figure out how to do custom paint, deviated stitching, illuminated door sil, porsche crests in the seats, and all the other worthless garbage they charge a fortune for, why can't they give us the things we want.

If Porsche is one of the most successful car companies in the world, thing of how much more successful they would be if they took their heads out of their collective asses.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

...So, if those moron porsche engineers can figure out how to do custom paint, deviated stitching, illuminated door sil, porsche crests in the seats, and all the other worthless garbage they charge a fortune for, why can't they give us the things we want.

If Porsche is one of the most successful car companies in the world, thing of how much more successful they would be if they took their heads out of their collective asses.
Believe me I wasn't arguing about your choice of cars. I agree that heading up I-5 in a 911 ain't fun (but I do it a lot anyway). Something with ALL the amenities would be much more suitable.

Porsche gets around to adding the amenities to their cars - eventually. But, honestly, the things you have at the top of your car shopping list (Bluetooth, satellite radio, etc.) are not things the typical Porsche customer (worldwide) is clamoring for. Doesn't mean they don't want 'em - just means it's not of primary importance to them when they're shopping for a performance car.

We added an '06 Cayenne S to our garage last Fall. Except for the fact that it gets seriously poor gas mileage, both my wife and I think it's the best SUV-style vehicle we've ever had.

BTW - Porsche is not only "one of the most successful car companies in the world," it's the most profitable car company, period.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Leader

Porsche gets around to adding the amenities to their cars - eventually. But, honestly, the things you have at the top of your car shopping list (Bluetooth, satellite radio, etc.) are not things the typical Porsche customer (worldwide) is clamoring for. Doesn't mean they don't want 'em - just means it's not of primary importance to them when they're shopping for a performance car.

BTW - Porsche is not only "one of the most successful car companies in the world," it's the most profitable car company, period.
The preceeding post has been sponsored by The Marketing Department at PAG.
You guys are a friggin' riot. You have absolutely no idea how close to reality your statements actually are.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree more with B-Line, today's avearge consumers are asking for the basic technology, ie: BT...etc.
If Bang & Olufsen is struggling/re-grouping to catch up with the digital technology...Porsche has no choice but to follow soon...times are changing even compared to 10 years ago...a good group of able, some younger,sports car buyers may defect to other brands purely due to lack of (and for no valid reason) consumer friendly technology found in Porsches..??? the profits lost can even pay for the next P product line...like a Mini-Cayenne.

No, a MINI-CAYENNE? NO, never in my lifetime!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
droptop
Pro

Default it depends on your definition of "is"

while it is true that porsche makes a pre-tax profit of 18.8% per unit sold, the Financial Times also reports than porsche made 62% of that off of share options. if you dial back the profit to profit actually made on VEHICLES, that 18.8% becomes 7.14%, putting them behind toyota, nissan and BMW.

so i guess it depends if you are talking about porsche the hedge fund, or porsche the truck maker.... and i use those terms in their loosest possible application.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
I agree more with B-Line, today's avearge consumers are asking for the basic technology, ie: BT...etc.
If Bang & Olufsen is struggling/re-grouping to catch up with the digital technology...Porsche has no choice but to follow soon...times are changing even compared to 10 years ago...a good group of able, some younger,sports car buyers may defect to other brands purely due to lack of (and for no valid reason) consumer friendly technology found in Porsches..??? the profits lost can even pay for the next P product line...like a Mini-Cayenne.

No, a MINI-CAYENNE? NO, never in my lifetime!
No, No, No, NEVER say never ......

BTW, do you measure your lifetime in dog years, people years, of the lifespan of a mayfly?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by droptop
while it is true that porsche makes a pre-tax profit of 18.8% per unit sold, the Financial Times also reports than porsche made 62% of that off of share options. if you dial back the profit to profit actually made on VEHICLES, that 18.8% becomes 7.14%, putting them behind toyota, nissan and BMW.

so i guess it depends if you are talking about porsche the hedge fund, or porsche the truck maker.... and i use those terms in their loosest possible application.

ehhh,

Ah, financial press, such a worthy source of financial news.. I think I will let Porsche keep the dubious moniker of "most profitable car company in the world". Gross margin, EBITDA margin, EBIT margin, all higher by a factor of 2/3/4 when compared to others. Pretty certain that most of these items wouldn't capture profits from share options.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
droptop
Pro

Default two other ways of looking at it...

there are two other ways of looking at it.

knowing that the profit margin is lower on their other cars, the cayenne profit margin must be over 30% or so.

and

if they had to sell cars to a larger group of people, instead of overpriced limited run cars sold on the back of their previous rep, they would be having problems.

but i will give them highest profit margin per car manufacturer. they deserve it.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Leader,

I would disagree with you. My 997 Turbo has a phone module for the nav system so clearly they do have some interest in consumer technology.
And to use said phone module, I must remove the sim card from my phone, place it in a little dish on the nav unit, and slide it in. (F&*^ing MORONS)...

As far as criteria for selecting a car, I own two 911's. A 997 T and a 993 C2S. And they don't get used nearly as much as they should... Why? Because no matter how much fun it is to drive a 911 Turbo, taking Interstate 5 north to Laguna Seca is outright boring regardless of what you're driving (unless you want to go to jail for driving 150mph.) My point is, I opt to take my non porsche car with Sirius to make the drive more friendly.

So, if those moron porsche engineers can figure out how to do custom paint, deviated stitching, illuminated door sil, porsche crests in the seats, and all the other worthless garbage they charge a fortune for, why can't they give us the things we want.

I really couldn't care less about Bluetooth but I've got to agree with these sentiments. Besides, when, if ever, are you going to get to use the full performance capabilities of these vehicles? But for those that want BT and Ipod integration built-in those are features you would use every day.

What percentage of those overpriced options on the Order Guide actually enhance the performance of these vehicles?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No, No, No, NEVER say never ......

BTW, do you measure your lifetime in dog years, people years, of the lifespan of a mayfly?
I forgot to add the icon after my last sentence...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I really couldn't care less about Bluetooth
Yes, but you probably also don't live in a state that has a HANDS FREE law. If I want to make a call in the car, I HAVE TO USE BLUETOOTH..

So why would I buy a car where the immediate and obvious restriction is: I can't make a phone call?

Quick Reply: Was thinking about a pre-owned Cayenne S for the wife