Sponsored by:

Was thinking about a pre-owned Cayenne S for the wife

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by droptop
you do notice the recurring theme here, right? they are all GERMAN cars. i suspect a causal relationship here....
I don't like most American cars. Based on their recent sale trends, I am not alone. I think they serve a purpose, but for banking around NYC in a car that needs to serve multiple purposes, a Ford F150 or even a Cadillac Esplanade or whatever they are called, just isn't me. I detest chrome wheels. Remember, if I lived in the burbs or better yet, the country. I would SOOO own a Ford F350 Dual cab/ dual rear axle truck with running lights and a rig for a goose neck trailer. Talk about value by the pound! However, if I pulled up to NYC garage in one of these, first I would be divorced and second I would get the Chris Rock line. “I get 10 dollars for cars, 20 for limos, what the FSSK do I get for t his”.

As for Japanese SUV’s, they are not really that interesting. A little too purpose built. If I can stereotype here, (this coming from a guy who drives the biggest dick head car of them all). I just don't like the Lexus. The small one looks like a jelly bean and the large one like a marshmallow. They are typically driven by the parents who’s kids drive M3 convertibles or some similar derivative.

I could go for a Russian mobster car like a Range Rover, but all I hear is that they just suck even more than CTT's in terms of reliability and depreciation.

Nope, stuck on the Cayenne for now.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
So far, Porsche hasn't reached that point. This time however, I sense I can see it coming. Hint (it burns a lot of oil). I have been taking copious notes and third party oil analysis tests. (As an aside, Porsche now apparently requires all the engine replacements to be done with an oil analysis submission.) Every time I go to the dealer, I tell them there is a problem and then they tell me there isn’t. They even sent some of my oil analysis readings to Porsche. I am sure you can guess the response. So far the memories of speeding around the track in the 996 have been enough for me to keep the goodwill. I am sure however, these memories will fade.
Yes, I can guess the response....well, actually Larry could.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

However, if I pulled up to NYC garage in one of these, first I would be divorced and second I would get the Chris Rock line. “I get 10 dollars for cars, 20 for limos, what the FSSK do I get for t his”.
Like, eeeww, imagine pulling up to Daniel in one of those. Would their valet, like, even park that thing? Like, OH-MI-GOD, not in a million years!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like most American cars. Based on their recent sale trends, I am not alone. I think they serve a purpose, but for banking around NYC in a car that needs to serve multiple purposes, a Ford F150 or even a Cadillac Esplanade or whatever they are called, just isn't me. I detest chrome wheels. Remember, if I lived in the burbs or better yet, the country. I would SOOO own a Ford F350 Dual cab/ dual rear axle truck with running lights and a rig for a goose neck trailer. Talk about value by the pound! However, if I pulled up to NYC garage in one of these, first I would be divorced and second I would get the Chris Rock line. “I get 10 dollars for cars, 20 for limos, what the FSSK do I get for t his”.

As for Japanese SUV’s, they are not really that interesting. A little too purpose built. If I can stereotype here, (this coming from a guy who drives the biggest dick head car of them all). I just don't like the Lexus. The small one looks like a jelly bean and the large one like a marshmallow. They are typically driven by the parents who’s kids drive M3 convertibles or some similar derivative.

I could go for a Russian mobster car like a Range Rover, but all I hear is that they just suck even more than CTT's in terms of reliability and depreciation.

Agree with SUV analysis - that for now and when I seriously looked in '06 that the Cayenne still kept me hooked. It has been flawless to date and I am a two-time purchaser. HOWEVER, I'm glad that I avoided driving the TT and getting sucked into the power. Not a big deal but the S appears to be the best variant of the Pig regarding the engine. Tit.S. has ZERO oil consumption.. plenty of power compared to the base.. and all the bells and whistles as far as my needs are.. I will never track it, I rarely tow but do have the hitch (see pic of my hitch hauling trash can to curb!), and have an ext. warranty to take me to 100K. Already have 32K in 21 months... but the past 5 months that's slowed considerably.. I'm fairly sure that I'll want to do something different with my next "daily" but I will still very much consider a Cayenne for a third time if they're even making them for MY-2012 (10/11 about when I would hit 100K).
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Like, eeeww, imagine pulling up to Daniel in one of those. Would their valet, like, even park that thing? Like, OH-MI-GOD, not in a million years!!!
ma'am i am afraid you move in more rarefied circles than i do, i have had a valet park my car exactly once in the last 10 years...and that was a mistake<G>.

however, i was at a mall in dallas that had valet parking in one section, but i need the walk from the south 40 to keep my girlish figure.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by droptop
ma'am i am afraid you move in more rarefied circles than i do, i have had a valet park my car exactly once in the last 10 years...and that was a mistake<G>.

however, i was at a mall in dallas that had valet parking in one section, but i need the walk from the south 40 to keep my girlish figure.
I was joking, of course. After watching "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" while still living in former USSR I made a mental note myself that if I'm ever in that capitalist country of "theirs", I'll NEVER leave my car with a valet
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i have

only known one person who regularly used a valet service, she also paid people to fly her airplane for her...

i will never understand folks, but as with jack burton, i wasn't put on this earth to "get it"...

of course, i also use this quote

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 AM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

...I could go for a Russian mobster car like a Range Rover, but all I hear is that they just suck even more than CTT's in terms of reliability and depreciation.

...actually, Cayenne IS a "Russian mobster car" right now and IS the most desired vehicle for that kind of folks...

...and for the LA traffic congested BToriented (lexus deserving ...) folks, here is one mans experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIvoUiQGBpw

...may be, you don't need a PORSCHE in LA, you need a BT and a couch riding at 30mi/h...

OZRacing
Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MadFox
Agree with SUV analysis - that for now and when I seriously looked in '06 that the Cayenne still kept me hooked. It has been flawless to date and I am a two-time purchaser. HOWEVER, I'm glad that I avoided driving the TT and getting sucked into the power. the S aNot a big deal but ppears to be the best variant of the Pig regarding the engine. Tit.S. has ZERO oil consumption.. plenty of power compared to the base.. and all the bells and whistles as far as my needs are.. I will never track it, I rarely tow but do have the hitch (see pic of my hitch hauling trash can to curb!), and have an ext. warranty to take me to 100K. Already have 32K in 21 months... but the past 5 months that's slowed considerably.. I'm fairly sure that I'll want to do something different with my next "daily" but I will still very much consider a Cayenne for a third time if they're even making them for MY-2012 (10/11 about when I would hit 100K).
I agree. '05 CS, 2 sets of coils but NO oil consumption. I check it at least once a week Hot, cold, whenever. I will certainly be open to another one in 2010. (After the fall '09 delivery of an 997tt, if, all goes according to plan)

Last edited by Porsche 25th; 07-30-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I can't count
Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good timing on the 997TT.....probably the last time you'll ever see the M64/GT1 derived lump in these cars.....it's been replaced

Quick Reply: Was thinking about a pre-owned Cayenne S for the wife