Weird clicking noise from PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
pareet
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird clicking noise from PCM

Hi guys,

I got a 2nd hand 2004 Cayenne Turbo a week or so ago. I have noticed in the past few days that when i get into the car, there is a fairly loud clicking noise from the PCM unit (almost like a quiet machine gun). Its almost like a CD skipping or the unit trying to read a CD. It lasts for maybe 5-10 seconds and then stops.

The PCM operation is as normal and not affected at all. Satnav, cd player etc etc all work perfectly. It also doesnt happen everytime either. Maybe one in every 2 times? It also happens sometimes when i switch off the car as well...

I have searched the forum and the only thing I have found is that it could be a minor fault with the PCM. Its not something that bothers me much as it only happens on start-up or switch-off and doesnt really affect operation of the PCM. Also, I presume this is not covered under warranty?

Thanks ever so much !!!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually.. noise could be from behind PCM and thereby be the a/c solonoids. expensive and annoying.. search threads.. particularily a problem for '03 - '05 models.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:36 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

04 CS, I got same noises, tech says they are a/c solenoids. Since I'm nekkid I turn up radio. noise goes away.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
pareet
3rd Gear

thanks ! got quite a few replies back by email etc etc lots of owners saying that their car does the same. looks like its definitely something in the PCM trying to read the CD. I listened to the noise very closely today and its definitely coming from the PCM unit not behind it.

Will get it checked out
Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

dont think there is a PCM unit in the dash. And definitely nothing moving inside it. Its just a button in the dash connected to ECU. its your a/c solenoids that open and close the ductwork. The PCM is not trying to read your CD's.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTITUDE
dont think there is a PCM unit in the dash..
He said he has PCM
And definitely nothing moving inside it..
You're right. There are no moving parts in OEM optical disk assemblies....nothing spins, the optical pickup is fixed.
Its just a button in the dash connected to ECU..
Perhaps you are confusing PSM with PCM?
its your a/c solenoids that open and close the ductwork..
Don't think so.
The PCM is not trying to read your CD's.
WTF?! How does the information on the optical disk get into the PCM? Telepathically?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
He said he has PCM

You're right. There are no moving parts in OEM optical disk assemblies....nothing spins, the optical pickup is fixed.

Perhaps you are confusing PSM with PCM?

Don't think so.

WTF?! How does the information on the optical disk get into the PCM? Telepathically?
Confusion reigns supreme.. still think it's the solonoids.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
droptop
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
this is new technology, it takes a polaroid picture of the disk and then reads the pic, however, it has to wait for it to develop, which is why the boot up takes so long...
Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 AM
pareet
3rd Gear

Thanks for the useful info guys - Went to the OPC on Saturday and they advised that its something to do with the PCM unit. Its not repairable - Just have to replace the unit. However it does not affect anything else in the operation of the PCM and therefore nothing to worry about. I can live with that noise every now and again rather than forking out circa £1000 on replacing the PCM unit !!

thanks for the help though
Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

my bad, thats what i get for readin this in the middle of the nite. Im thinkin PSM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cough cough... wow dusty thread... ok so my PCM is doing exactly as OP described. Every couple of startups or shutdowns it does a repetitive clicking that sounds like a jammed cd or something.. It doesnt matter if there is a cd in the PCM or not. The PCM is fully functional but its annoying really. I wonder if anyone has figured out what the heck is going on inside that thing.. i want to stop the party in there.

Quick Reply: Weird clicking noise from PCM