Sponsored by:

Weird noise from the PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 04:08 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise from the PCM

Past couple of weeks I've been getting a really weird sound coming from the disc drive on the PCM. Almost sounds like the DVD is getting eated... it clicks and clicks and then finally settles in and stops. No ill effects otherwise...nav works etc..

Any clue?

Steve
Old 08-20-2005, 05:17 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevertr
Past couple of weeks I've been getting a really weird sound coming from the disc drive on the PCM. Almost sounds like the DVD is getting eated... it clicks and clicks and then finally settles in and stops. No ill effects otherwise...nav works etc..

Any clue?

Steve
I've been having the same problem. The CD-ROM drive in the PCM unit makes the exact same noise you've described. Generally happens whenever you first open the door and last for about a minute. Sometimes the door closing stops it else a good whack to the side of the console will.

So far my dealer has not replaced it, but I've just moved to another state and will push the dealer. The noise is ridiculous, annoying, and embarassing.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:50 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevertr
Past couple of weeks I've been getting a really weird sound coming from the disc drive on the PCM. Almost sounds like the DVD is getting eated... it clicks and clicks and then finally settles in and stops. No ill effects otherwise...nav works etc.. Any clue? Steve
For the longest time I thought a similar noise was the CD player and/or the PCM/NAV.. but it would still make the noise when I had the radio/NAV off.
I posted about this and Torags explained what he found out. It won't do it when I'm at the dealership and I've put up with it for probably a year.. And they replaced my radio/Nav/PCM one time because of the intermittent power problem before that. Here's what he wrote and what I'm going to take to the service rep for another warranty trip on Thursday.

Originally Posted by Torags
I had a problem with my duct flappers because of very dusty work conditions. they kept opening/closing making noises etc. They vacuumed them out & replaced filter. Cured... I don't have nav but it was behind the radio. Damn things kept opening & closing making noises. they took off the trim face and found caked dust - fouling the vent tube & clogging an air filter. My truck is a work vehicle and I spend some time around excavations w my windows open.

Reply:
I drive mine every day and I've had this noise for quite a while. Embarassing when the radio is off and you have a guest riding with you. Your location and explanation sound nearly identical. Thanks, will see what the dealer says and see if I can take it in this week. many thanks.. if that is it -- I owe you big time! I will then have no complaints!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 AM
stevertr
Instructor

What I'll do is to take out the NAV disc altogether and see if the problem continues.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:48 AM
dlipetz
Advanced

I experience this noise whether or not a CD is in the PCM or whether or not the PCM is turned on. After all the clicking-clacking stops, the PCM displays "Single Disc Un-readable" or something to that effect (when the NAV disc is in the drive). But the NAV disc works fine...

I wonder if that is just a coincidence or it is indeed the drive in the PCM that is making all that racket.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:04 AM
reubstarr
Intermediate

Default CD mech noise

There has been a tech bulletin released by Porsche stating that noises from pcm unit and screen flickering on cayenne,997 and 987 with pcm1 and pcm2 require replacement. If your in warranty good. IF your not then better make sure you have good service history for a goodwill gesture.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 AM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally Posted by reubstarr
There has been a tech bulletin released by Porsche stating that noises from pcm unit and screen flickering on cayenne,997 and 987 with pcm1 and pcm2 require replacement. If your in warranty good. IF your not then better make sure you have good service history for a goodwill gesture.
Yes, the noise I am experiencing is definitely from the PCM not any vents behind it. It has gotten progressively worse and I just left a message with my service advisor to schedule an appointment.

Any more specific info on the tech bulletin? I really don't want to go through the "we didn't hear the noise you described" scenario.

Thanks.

Last edited by dlipetz; 09-20-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:46 AM
stevertr
Instructor

I'm assuming this applies to me and that my PCM unit will need to be replaced.

While that is being done, is there anything anyone can advise me about the other input's into the rear so that I can proactively run lines for an aux input or FM modulator and just leave them hanging under the steering wheel area for future use?

Steve
Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Count me in for the same problem, last time my dealer said he couldn't reproduce it and did nothing. Of course the noise is still here. Anyone has the reference of that bulletin?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Fortunately for me, my PCM decided to display it's noisy behavior for my dealer and they have ordered a replacement unit.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:32 PM
LenO
4th Gear

I'm now having the same problem with my 04TT. It's intermittent and I can not get it to happen for the dealer. It's happening quite often now though. Does anybody have any details on the Tech Bulletin that addresses the problem? Has anybody discovered exactly what is happening and what causes the defect?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:37 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally Posted by dlipetz
Fortunately for me, my PCM decided to display it's noisy behavior for my dealer and they have ordered a replacement unit.
Update: Dealer installed a new PCM system in my 04 Cayenne S on Wednesday. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the replacement unit was a newer model than the original. This new version has buttons for operating a phone, a mail button, and other changes. I think this is the 2005 version, even though I am running Nav from CDs.

I like this unit much better. Gone is the silly ORG button. INFO shows entirely different data (Radiotext and Contacts), former INFO data is now found under NAV, screen looks better and system seems to respond more quickly.

Most importantly, the clattering my old PCM had is now gone!

Having not seem these new units before, I was hoping that it was a 2006 model and would decode MP3 files. As soon as I got home I tried a CD full of MP3 files in both the PCM unit and the changer but no joy.

Since the 2006 models do have MP3 decoders, I'm hoping that PCNA delivers a PCM software update for the rest of us to add this feature. It should be feasible as a software upgrade. If this were to happen, with support for MP3 files in the PCM and changer, it would vastly increase the usefullness of the audio system and would eliminate my desire to add an iPod type device.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:26 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

I'm having the same problem with my Nav system. It clicks and when it stops I get a message that says something like "Single disc......something". I have already taken the car in once and asked them to fix the noise. They said that they could not reproduce it and so it did not get fixed. It's sort of a problem because I live about 2 hours from the dealership.

Does anyone know if the dealerships actually know about this? If you have a reference I could use when I speak to them I would appreciate you sharing it.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow i guess this isnt a very common problem.. I am only finding ANCIENT threads about this clicking business.

Quick Reply: Weird noise from the PCM