Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob not unlocking/locking car, clock reseting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 AM
achilles99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob not unlocking/locking car, clock reseting?

I bought an 03 Cayenne, and I'm about to kick myself for buying the first model year (price was good). Key fob won't work consistently. It'll sometimes work if I turn the key to the left first, which I assume syncs it to the alarm. Won't work a few minutes later. I also notice that the clock resets itself a lot.

Do I have an electrical gremlin? More of the problem described here:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=20964

Any ideas before I get raked over the coals by the dealership?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

achilles99,

As you saw in your other thread, the early Cayennes did have some electrical issues. I occasionally have issues with the range of my remote key fob, but once I am closer to the car it works fine. I haven't experienced the issues that you have. The "comfort" setting coming and going seems to be a bit strange too. Is it possible that it is one of the options that isn't accessable when the car is moving? I know the menu expands when you are parked.

Last question - are you on the original battery? Early Cayennes are known to be hard on batteries, and when the battery gets weak, the electrical systems do strange things.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM
achilles99
Instructor

You are right, the comfort settings are only available during certain times (I think parked). Once, I saw it while driving, but then it went away really quickly.

I bought the car used, so I'm not sure about the battery. Is it worth a try to change? I have no problems starting it, and I did put it on a trickle charger for one day just to be sure it was topped off. I just ordered the M10 too to remove the seat for access to the battery. I'll have to do a search for batteries the group recommends, hopefully something from Autozone or Advance Autoparts. Thanks for the help Dennis!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've actually had to replace the battery twice in my Cayenne in the last year. One was the original battery, and ti failed after about 3 years. It didn't go totally dead, but I received many strange error messages and I noticed that the volt meter was reading only about 12 volts, as opposed to the normal 13 - 14. The new battery fixed that problem. That battery was ultimately faulty and was replaced again, and I haven't had a problem. Does your volt meter usually read 13 - 14 volts?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Not sure, but I think I may have found something. I sometimes have to turn my key to the LEFT to start the car. At that point, the fob often times works. According to this thread, turning to the left activates a second battery. Could this be my problem? I had no idea I had a second battery to begin with, I guess that's what's in my trunk instead of a spare? I thought it was a subwoofer...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=battery
Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 AM
achilles99
Instructor

Dennis, you win my car hero of the month award.

Turns out I have the auxiliary battery option. So, I could start the car. BUT, the primary battery is what stores the remote code. The reason it was working sporadically was after a drive, the battery would be charged just enough for my remote to work. Sometimes, the battery would be strong enough to flash the lights, but NOT to unlock the doors. Then, it got to the point where my clock would reset randomly. I called the dealer, and asked about the cost of a battery. He asked if my AC took a while to turn on (which it does... maybe 30 seconds). The reason being that the auxiliary battery would take that long to resume control of the AC after the primary fails.

So, I bought a new primary battery (from Autozone, since the dealer was 30 minutes away and couldn't fit me in the schedule). Pricing was about the same ($120 vs $180 from dealer), but the Autozone battery came with an 8 year warranty (not sure if dealer part would). Dealer also said I had to charge the battery from them, which I thought was strange. Autozone battery was ready to go.

I had to order an M10 serrated 10mm tool to unbolt the seat to get to the primary battery. I found it locally, though, as well (if you can't tell, I'm impatient). If anyone needs this tool, let me know and I'll send you my extra one at my cost ($8). It's tough to find in stores, I had to go to a tool shop. It wasn't at Autozone or Advance Auto. I actually spent $8 in gas to get to the shop, too

Installed the battery, and now the remote works fine, AC works fine, etc. Next up... installing headrest monitors and an aftermarket seat heater kit for my wife. Thanks to everyone for their input, not only in this thread but others which contributed to my knowledge of the most ridiculously difficult Porsche I've ever owned in terms of ease to diagnose.

Just thought I'd post in case someone comes across this problem in the future.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by achilles99
So, I bought a new primary battery (from Autozone, since the dealer was 30 minutes away and couldn't fit me in the schedule). Pricing was about the same ($120 vs $180 from dealer), but the Autozone battery came with an 8 year warranty (not sure if dealer part would)...
No, it would not have an 8 year warranty from PAG, not even close.

Dealer also said I had to charge the battery from them, which I thought was strange. Autozone battery was ready to go...
Yes, Porsche batteries (Moll is the current OEM) are shipped 'dry' and filled at the dealer
Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
No, it would not have an 8 year warranty from PAG, not even close.
That's what I figured. Oh, to clarify, the Autozone battery is 3 years free replacement, with 5 years additional pro-rated refund. Not bad. Judging by Cayenne experiences, I'll probably be replacing the battery within 3 years.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You may end up replacing the Cayenne before you replace the battery in 3 years.....just a guess.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Dennis, you win my car hero of the month award.

Turns out I have the auxiliary battery option. So, I could start the car. BUT, the primary battery is what stores the remote code. The reason it was working sporadically was after a drive, the battery would be charged just enough for my remote to work. Sometimes, the battery would be strong enough to flash the lights, but NOT to unlock the doors. Then, it got to the point where my clock would reset randomly. I called the dealer, and asked about the cost of a battery. He asked if my AC took a while to turn on (which it does... maybe 30 seconds). The reason being that the auxiliary battery would take that long to resume control of the AC after the primary fails.

So, I bought a new primary battery (from Autozone, since the dealer was 30 minutes away and couldn't fit me in the schedule). Pricing was about the same ($120 vs $180 from dealer), but the Autozone battery came with an 8 year warranty (not sure if dealer part would). Dealer also said I had to charge the battery from them, which I thought was strange. Autozone battery was ready to go.

I had to order an M10 serrated 10mm tool to unbolt the seat to get to the primary battery. I found it locally, though, as well (if you can't tell, I'm impatient). If anyone needs this tool, let me know and I'll send you my extra one at my cost ($8). It's tough to find in stores, I had to go to a tool shop. It wasn't at Autozone or Advance Auto. I actually spent $8 in gas to get to the shop, too

Installed the battery, and now the remote works fine, AC works fine, etc. Next up... installing headrest monitors and an aftermarket seat heater kit for my wife. Thanks to everyone for their input, not only in this thread but others which contributed to my knowledge of the most ridiculously difficult Porsche I've ever owned in terms of ease to diagnose.

Just thought I'd post in case someone comes across this problem in the future.
Glad it worked out.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM
achilles99
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
You may end up replacing the Cayenne before you replace the battery in 3 years.....just a guess.
Your guess is about 90% correct. I switch cars every year, and it seems like my wife every 2. Although she seems to like the Cayenne... it drives really great when it's not throwing error codes.

Quick Reply: Fob not unlocking/locking car, clock reseting?