Sponsored by:

motorcycle carrier

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
arthrellem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorcycle carrier

anybody ever use a hitch-mounted motorcycle carrier on their Cayenne?
I have an 04 S with tow package (and about 110K miles!) and am interested in carrying a 425lb motorcycle. I have heard that these carriers (made by people like versahaul or cycle country) are pretty good.

The carrier is rated for up to 400 or 500 lbs. Some claim 600 lbs. The tongue weight on the factory hitch says 619lbs. I am hoping that carrying 150lbs less is safe, and not to hard on the truck due to twisting loads from mounting motorcycle on hitch.

Of course, this is all speculation....anyone have any real experience with this?

Kindest,
Chris
Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

Thought about it when we had one, but would never do it without PASM. At least that would keep it level.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No experience with it but I would think the torque on the receiver would be something different that what it was designed for. Has to be an engineer in this crowd with an answer.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

would love to know this one as well! I'm looking to replace my viper truck with a CS or CTT and still need to get the bike to the track
Old 07-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 for a '07 CBR600RR
Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 PM
arthrellem
Track Day

Default motorcycle carrier redux

The versahaul.com website and the cyclecountry.com website have lots of these hitch mounted carriers. I have searched the web quite a bit for reviews of these and have not heard any major complaints. I also have people at motorcycle shops telling me that have seen friends load their Ducati 999 up on these and haul them to the track. I'm always skeptical, so was looking for real experience.

I agree with the concern that the torque, twisting forces in cornering might be a bit much, but I am imagining that those forces are delivered at a point so close t the center axis of the trailer hitch that they probably "look" just like dead weight to the hitch on the truck.

I guess I could just go buy one of these carriers for the good of all Cayenne owners and report back, but I am not sure I am quite that selfless. :-)
Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

arthrellem: If you're gonna be the beta test try this one: http://www.hitchthings.com/products/lift-pro/ I am REALLY tempted, but sure would like to know the impact on suspension, first. Any thoughts?

Also, another like the Versahaul: http://www.mototote.com/
Old 07-06-2008, 12:38 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arthrellem
The versahaul.com website and the cyclecountry.com website have lots of these hitch mounted carriers. I have searched the web quite a bit for reviews of these and have not heard any major complaints. I also have people at motorcycle shops telling me that have seen friends load their Ducati 999 up on these and haul them to the track. I'm always skeptical, so was looking for real experience.

I agree with the concern that the torque, twisting forces in cornering might be a bit much, but I am imagining that those forces are delivered at a point so close t the center axis of the trailer hitch that they probably "look" just like dead weight to the hitch on the truck.

I guess I could just go buy one of these carriers for the good of all Cayenne owners and report back, but I am not sure I am quite that selfless. :-)
Besides just the toungue weight issue, which may, by itself, knock this silly solution out of the ballpark, the torque issue is real. Even if the load is perfectly balanced (which it will NOT be), it is going to shift, and place twisting loads on the receiver that a trailer would not present in a million years.

I have to ask - why on earth would someone spend good money on a Cayenne, and perhaps a good motorcycle, and then not have two nickels to rub together to buy an actual trailer? You could buy a trailer all day long for 500 bucks that would present a much better solution than would a silly "bracket" engineered for friggin' mountain bike.

I hate to be so blunt, but.......
Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

HD2: For me, it is just a PIA to pull a trailer to a track. I keep a pick-up primarily for that purpose, but some tracks are as much as 6 hours away and the Cayenne would be a lot more enjoyable to drive. I can't cogently argue your points, but I have seen at tracks guys with hitch-carriers that drove 500 miles with a track bike on the carrier. Also, it's hard for me to believe that the units would be manufactured and bought and sold if they didn't hold up. My concern is excess abuse on the Cay and what steps should be taken to minimize impact.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

for me it's a storage issue. I live in a building thats all valet/managed parking. I can't spare a spot for a trailer, but a hitch carrier could be stored easily in one of my storage closets or the apartment.

As far as weight shifting, ideally you wouldn't have much. When my bike is cinched down in the truck it doesn't move unless the whole truck moves. The goal would be the same on a hitch carrier.

I've heard a whole lo of FUD on why not to use a hitch carrier, but never first hand. There certainly have been advancements with higher rated carriers specifically designed for sportbikes (whereas the first gen were more aimed at lighter dirtbikes).
Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
arthrellem
Track Day

The issue is storage, not money.

With a 911 and a Cayenne and my wife's hybrid, 12 pairs of skis, a snow blower and [...] all stuck in the garage, I just don't want a trailer hanging around. (Thank, God, I sold the boat!)

Eureka! I've solved my problem! I don't need a motorcycle carrier! I'm just gonna get rid of all my stuff!

Quick Reply: motorcycle carrier