Sponsored by:

08/09 CTT Reliability Questions - Sorry

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 392 Posts
Default 08/09 CTT Reliability Questions - Sorry

I know this topic has been asked/answered, but I am still seeking more information and opinions.

I have driven Toyotas for the last 11 years - specifically Lexus LX 470s. I have a 2000 right now with 100k miles that has been virtually bullet proof.

I am considering an 08 or 09 CTT, but am concerned about reliability, specifically reliability after warranty expiration. I see numerous posts from original CTT owners dumping them after the warranty ends for fear of mounting maintenance costs. I would plan on keeping the CTT for 10 plus years and well over 100k miles... now that I have grown to hate flying commercial airlines.

Thanks in advance for delving into this topic again.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 938 Posts

I think it's hard to tell at this point how the 2008 or 2009 Cayennes will perform in terms of reliability 10 years from now. Like any other car, they get better as they are on the market for a few years and the kinks are worked out. I believe that that newer ones will be more relialbe than the alpha and beta models, but I really don't know.

I have also owned many other makes, including Japanese cars. I think that overall you'll find that Japanese cars are more consistently reliable, and less expensive to fix. I would imagine the same thing is true in luxury SUVs. People dump Cayennes after the warranty expires because of the high cost of maintenance, even for routine things. This is especially true at the dealer. You'll often find a much better deal on maintenance with an independent mechanic once the warranty expires. I don't think they are being dumped because they aren't reliable, I think that it is because of the cost of routine maintenance.

If you buy a Cayenne over a Lexus SUV, you'll almost definitely find it to be more expensive to maintain over 10 years. That beind said, I think you will find more enjoyment out of driving a Cayenne. You've got to decide which is more important.

If you are looking for a German car that can be driven for the long term, you might also consider a Mercedes ML series diesel vehicle. I've heard good things about them.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:11 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True dat.

No matter how you slice it, the Cayenne is no Lexus. But that cuts two ways. What kind of driving experience do you want to have for those ten years of ownership? I would rather pay to play than not play at all.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Thanks and I think you are right. The trade off for a little reliability may be driving enjoyment. I am not afraid of maintenance after warranty, it's just that I don't want to get hammered.

I enjoy driving more and more, especially long road trips. Consequently I have been thinking of retaining the utility of an SUV while improving the driving fun factor - hence the reason for considering the CTT.

Thanks again
Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
Thanks and I think you are right. The trade off for a little reliability may be driving enjoyment. I am not afraid of maintenance after warranty, it's just that I don't want to get hammered.

I enjoy driving more and more, especially long road trips. Consequently I have been thinking of retaining the utility of an SUV while improving the driving fun factor - hence the reason for considering the CTT.

Thanks again
get a manual GTS - the most fun you can have driving an SUV.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:35 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am of the same persuation (keep cars 10-15 years and 120K plus miles). I anticipate spending some serious money maintaining and repairing the car. From prior experience with German vehicles very similar to this not much happens until around 90 K except normal servicing. Likely the extended warrantee will not be effective as it is limited to 7 yrs 100K miles.
Drove the LX 470. Don't drive the Cayenne unless you want to get blown away. It is totally different than the Lexus in a good way.
Live in Seattle and deal with traffic and tow boats so no manual for me, even with the hill hold device
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I know the Porsche and Lexus are too very different vehicles. However I did drive a 08 Cayenne S this Monday. The wife is looking for a new SUV and I talked her into trying out the Cayenne S. Wow, we both liked it, me much more than her - I especially loved the sports car-like feel and sound. She was impressed with the overall feel, but really wants 3rd row seating - not sure why. I can't imagine the power of the CTT given what I thought was very ample power of the S.

Thanks for all the thoughts - still pondering. I went wild on "build your CTT" link and ended up with a $123K bill
Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Rob, have you looked at an X5? I have also toyed with buying a Cayenne but just cant do it. The maintenance scares me. Im sure that they are fine but reading this forum scares me too much. My wife is also wanting a 3rd row so we will probably end up buying a stupid R500 benz. I will keep the X5 forever as a driver, tow vehicle....whatever. I love it. Come on over and drive it sometime.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Hey Mark,

The wife is between the X5 and Acura MDX - she is leaning towards the MDX due to Japanese reliability and dealer service/amenities.

Given I am p-car'less - I am looking for the most bang.. forget the buck!

Thanks for the offer on the test drive- will mention to the wife.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Cool. I will be doing 2 993 oil changes this sat am at the house if you want to stop by and take the X5. The MDX is a nice CAR but I would never buy one. They just dont have the soul that a Cayenne or an X5 has. They are great cars though.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I know the Porsche and Lexus are too very different vehicles. However I did drive a 08 Cayenne S this Monday. The wife is looking for a new SUV and I talked her into trying out the Cayenne S. Wow, we both liked it, me much more than her - I especially loved the sports car-like feel and sound. She was impressed with the overall feel, but really wants 3rd row seating - not sure why. I can't imagine the power of the CTT given what I thought was very ample power of the S.

Thanks for all the thoughts - still pondering. I went wild on "build your CTT" link and ended up with a $123K bill

Uhh..yeah. Nothing like "third row seating", when you don't even know what it's for, to force you into a prison sentence!

You don't need no "stinkin' Turbo". I could literally run rings around any LX-470 ever made with nothing more than my crappy '04 Cayenne S, which can be bought for 35k probably (low miles, people), and $600 FabSpeed bypass pipes!

And people still drool over my proper Porsche (meaning that it's the Porsche marque. Not that a proper Porsche is a Cayenne, even though it isn't as far removed as some of our vocal participants want to believe) while the Lexus may as well be a Chevy Impala (or a Toyota Sienna, for minivan lovers).

So the point of comparison to a $65,000 Lexus is not a $123k Porsche! That is extreme.

I agree with CPa4S. Check out the GTS with a manual. It is a beautiful rig. Although I fear that a woman who factors into the equation because she is interested in "3rd-row seating" might put the damper on any kind of manual tranny.

Listen, if you have room in your garage for an extra vehicle, maybe that is your answer. Even if you don't, for like 15 grand, almost any garage can be made from three to four or from two to three, no problem. Do that math and quit suffering. Your wife can get her minivan and you can get your proper vehicle.

Please report back when this terrible dilemma is resolved!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Mark,

The wife is between the X5 and Acura MDX - she is leaning towards the MDX due to Japanese reliability and dealer service/amenities.
Your wife is correct, go with the MDX.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 604 Posts

My last couple of SUV's have had 3rd rows. In 8 years I think I used the 3rd rows twice. I don't even look at the 3rd row as a consideration anymore.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Your wife is correct, go with the MDX.
+1 especially if you don't know why you need the third row. It is really useless.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 938 Posts

+1 - the third row is totally useless. If you really need to haul people back there, then get a vehicle with a proper 3rd row like a Suburban.

Quick Reply: 08/09 CTT Reliability Questions - Sorry