Sponsored by:

Looking for input on a Brake Controller for the new "S" tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
djhrs
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input on a Brake Controller for the new "S" tow vehicle

Nobody at the dealer can help... I need info on adding a trailer brake controller for an '08 "S". Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 PM
BG993
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you should probably do a search for anycomments regarding the '08. I usea Prodigy with no problems on my '4 S.

Bill
Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
djhrs
7th Gear

Where did you get the plug in for the harness?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/351109-trailer-brake-control-questions.html
Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 AM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djhrs
Nobody at the dealer can help... I need info on adding a trailer brake controller for an '08 "S". Does anyone have experience with this?
I had a similar problem when I needed to tow a car with my 06 CTT. Three dealers in my area with three different suggestions. I called the Porsche customer service people who had to call a number of dealers themselves to get the same answer I got.

Bottom line ........ if your Cayenne has a stock tow package with plug in and the trailer you are going to use has a standard plug then you don't have to do anything. Your ecu will recognize that the trailer has electric brakes and take advantage of them. If the trailer is not standard then you may have to take it to your dealer to have your ecu modified to handle the change. If you don't have a tow package on your cayenne then you will have to add a a trailer controller.

Now isn't that simple. Why customer service or most dealers are not informed, I have no idea!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by daddy Turbo
Bottom line ........ if your Cayenne has a stock tow package with plug in and the trailer you are going to use has a standard plug then you don't have to do anything. Your ecu will recognize that the trailer has electric brakes and take advantage of them. If the trailer is not standard then you may have to take it to your dealer to have your ecu modified to handle the change..
WTF?
#1: The ECU has nothing to do with the trailer brakes
#2. You have no idea what you are talking about.
#3. The brake controller interfaces directly to the 4 pin connector under the dashboard
#4. Electric brakes are controlled by the (aftermarket) brake controller, not the (factory) towbar control unit (which is part of option 1D6 and 1D8)
#5. Did I mention you have no idea what you're talking about?

Hugs and Kisses,
Larry
Old 06-17-2008, 11:36 AM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
WTF?#5. Did I mention you have no idea what you're talking about?

Hugs and Kisses,
Larry
Yes you did!!!! and I have to ask how many Cayenne's do you own and how many trailers have you pulled with them ???

The answer I gave was one of the many given to me by many dealers and Porsche's customer service.

I have confirmed that when pulling my car trailer with my CTT without any trailer controller that the electric brakes on the trailer do engage and engage correctly.

I have now owned two cayenne's and have pulled trailers loaded with race cars all over the country.

Someone need to put a muzzle on you !!!!! Your comments are never helpful and you are down right rude. You need to check your facts before you start barking.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yes you did!!!! and I have to ask how many Cayenne's do you own and how many trailers have you pulled with them ???.
Never owned a Cayenne, so that would mean I've pulled zero trailers

The answer I gave was one of the many given to me by many dealers and Porsche's customer service..
Perhaps, but it is incorrect on many levels; see initial reply above. It's OK, they can't be held responsible for information that doesn't exist in the supplied documentation and training.

I have confirmed that when pulling my car trailer with my CTT without any trailer controller that the electric brakes on the trailer do engage and engage correctly..
Correct, but your initial statement "Your ecu will recognize that the trailer has electric brakes and take advantage of them" is incorrect. The ECU has nothing to do with this behavior and, as previously stated with respect to brakes, neither does the 1D6/1D8 towbar control unit

I have now owned two cayenne's and have pulled trailers loaded with race cars all over the country..
Race cars? Do you have any pictures?

Someone need to put a muzzle on you !!!!! .
I am already wearing a muzzle......why do you think I'm forced to type with a #2 pencil between my teeth?

Your comments are never helpful and you are down right rude..
No, actually if you get your head out of the sand, they are quite helpful.
And BTW, it's not rude, it's humor and sarcasm.

You need to check your facts before you start barking.
Check my facts? If you only had a clue who you were talking to and about.....but I promise I'll try and learn about this electronics stuff and Porsche.....be patient, it might take me a while.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Never owned a Cayenne, so that would mean I've pulled zero trailers

Check my facts? If you only had a clue who you were talking to and about.....but I promise I'll try and learn about this electronics stuff and Porsche.....be patient, it might take me a while.
I could car less who you are, I am more interested in usable facts, as is the author of this thread. Neither one of us has time for your pompous dribble.

I originally owned a 05 C6 on which I installed an after market trailer package. I added a brake controller to it so that I could take advantage of the electric brakes on my equipment trailer. It towed and worked correctly. I traded that vehicle in for an 06 CTT that came equipped with the Porsche's trailer package. I have now pulled three different trailers all with electric brakes without adding a separate brake controller and guess what, the electric brakes work on all three. Some how, some way, the SUV senses, feels or whatever that the trailer is equipped with electric brakes and takes advantage of them......

Now I don't know if that has to do with the electronic computer unit or some other computer, but I do know what ever it is, it can be modified by Porsche if the trailer connection is not a standard unit.

I sure hope this helps the author of this tread. I would hate to see him purchase and install a trailer control unit that he does not need.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Your ecu will recognize that the trailer has electric brakes and take advantage of them. !!!
An engine control unit (ECU) is an electronic control unit which controls various aspects of an internal combustion engine's operation. The simplest ECUs control only the quantity of fuel injected into each cylinder each engine cycle. More advanced ECUs found on most modern cars also control the ignition timing, variable valve timing (VVT), the level of boost maintained by the turbocharger (in turbocharged cars), and control other peripherals.

Modern ECUs sometimes include features as cruise control, transmission control, anti-skid brake control, and anti-theft control, etc.

I wonder if that etc could also include electric brakes, maybe just maybe.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Apparently I didn't realize I was in the presence of the Cayenne Whisperer....someone who can convey to mere mortals how a Cayenne can 'sense' or 'feel' what is connected.

I'm speechless.....and apparently dribbling as well.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Apparently I didn't realize I was in the presence of the Cayenne Whisperer....someone who can convey to mere mortals how a Cayenne can 'sense' or 'feel' what is connected.

I'm speechless.....and apparently dribbling as well.
Thank you, your apology is appreciated by both me and the author of this tread. Now go away.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

So if I am reading this correctly - Factory wired Cayenne's with Tow packages do not need brake controllers for trailers with electric brakes?

Since when?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:28 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JFScheck
So if I am reading this correctly - Factory wired Cayenne's with Tow packages do not need brake controllers for trailers with electric brakes?

Since when?
Since at least 06 or at least that is my personal experience. I would think it would make everyone happy but it seems you all want to purchase a brake controller, so have at it.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

OK, being morbidly curious, and obviously understanding nothing about Porsche and/or electronics, exactly how does a Cayenne owner adjust the brake control voltage? How is this level displayed to the driver?

Also how do you manually test/apply the trailer brakes? Where is the switch/control for this?

And for extra credit, does the owner's manual describe the operation of the invisible brake controller?

And for the bonus round, does the Porsche website offer any insights?

Quick Reply: Looking for input on a Brake Controller for the new "S" tow vehicle