Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input on a Brake Controller for the new "S" tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 AM
djhrs
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insite. I still cannot find that "plug" on the '08. Nothing wrapped in foam that isn't already plugged into something else. I can "trade down" on the controller, so that should be no problem. I've already gotten the VW "plug" and wires. I just need to find the "plug" on the '08. I've put a call into PCNA to see if they can help. I'll try the dealer again as well. Other than that...open to suggestions.

BTW - I run a '73 RS clone (built on a '72) in "C". Great fun isn't it?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
So, to your assertion that there is an integrated brake controller in your Cayenne Turbo, I can only offer my opinion (based on 5+ years of Cayenne ownership)..... No way, no how is there an integrated brake controller in the Towing package. Spending that kind of money is NOT in Porsche's genetic makeup.

I'm not sure how you know that the brakes are functioning on your trailer, but the native stopping power of the Cayenne Turbo is pretty good. Perhaps you've been seduced by that feeling???? Don't know and am not criticizing, but I think someone has led you down a primrose path about an integrated controller.

Toby
See ...... now that was a nice way to say..... UFOS.

Just to be sure I was not imagining it. I jacked the trailer up on one side and applied the brake while having someone else spin the wheel by hand and it stopped. I drove the trailer empty and slammed on the brakes and the trailer wheels locked and left a rubber streak. I also drove the trailer with it connected and unconnected and felt a big improvement in braking power with the plug connected.

All I can say is Porsche must love me .......
Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
djhrs
7th Gear

I just spoke with PCNA and they say there is no trailer brake controller installed from the factory...At least on the '08.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djhrs
I just spoke with PCNA and they say there is no trailer brake controller installed from the factory...At least on the '08.
That's impossible...'Daddy Turbo' has one.

Wait, here's an idea (since perhaps Porsche may not be exactly 'on top of their game when it comes to 1D6/1D8....just a guess, I'd have no way of knowing).....how about calling Volkswagen and asking the same question of the Touareg (or Touareg 2, the facelift)

I'm going to venture out on a limb here and GUESS that the answer would apply to both Cayenne and Touareg, since they do share a VERY small number of common electronics (again, just a guess, I would have no way knowing this for sure).
Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by daddy Turbo

Just to be sure I was not imagining it. I jacked the trailer up on one side and applied the brake while having someone else spin the wheel by hand and it stopped. I drove the trailer empty and slammed on the brakes and the trailer wheels locked and left a rubber streak. I also drove the trailer with it connected and unconnected and felt a big improvement in braking power with the plug connected.

So, now that you've confirmed the presence and operation of the invisible brake controller, again....

How do you adjust the gain?
Where is the manual override switch?

Towing 101 type questions really.....
Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Dog on a bone.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dog on a bone.
You do realize that a Rotweiller will NOT release once its jaws have locked down....one of the reasons they are not the preferred breed for protection work....German Shepherds are much better.

Nice to have you back in the forum
Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
djhrs
7th Gear

Ok... Here's the latest. With the help of the ace at the local dealer...and a "map" we have located the connector. I have the older style controller on order. It'll be here in the morning.
Did you have to tap into the brake switch at the master cylinder? OR does the "brake" output at the connector suffice?

Just for grins...I will call VW to see if the stories match up. I do feel sorry for the tech at Porsche. His wiring diagram does not match the car. He said it happens all the time.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by daddy Turbo

Interesting...
Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eclou
Interesting...
What, that Porsche loves Cayenne customers?
Or the fact that someone installed an invisible and undocumented brake controller in a Cayenne?

I have a pretty good idea what is going on with 'Daddy Turbo's Cayenne, but since I don't know much about Porsche electronics, I'll just sit back and enjoy the show from the bottom of the cliff

Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

On my 04 Touareg I was able to install a 7 pin harness using Hoppy components and had fully functioning lights. I did not try to wire in a brake controller as the 'Egg had very adequate brakes as is. Now I tow with an 01 Chebby pickup which took perhaps 10 minutes to wire up a Prodigy to.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Surge brake would explain "daddy Turbo" trailer brakes locking when he tested them while towing but he has electric trailer brakes so this is not our solution. Thus could his electric trailer brakes be connected (mis-wired) to the brake lights and apply when the brake lights are activated - of course this would not be a moderated brake pressure being applied - but "on or off" brakes (kinda binary)....

Boy - Think of all the work I could have saved not installing that Prodigy controller...
Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djhrs
Ok... Here's the latest. With the help of the ace at the local dealer...and a "map" we have located the connector. I have the older style controller on order. It'll be here in the morning.
Did you have to tap into the brake switch at the master cylinder? OR does the "brake" output at the connector suffice?

Just for grins...I will call VW to see if the stories match up. I do feel sorry for the tech at Porsche. His wiring diagram does not match the car. He said it happens all the time.
If you are acquiring a Tekonsha Primus, no need to tap into the brake switch wire (you can't on an 06 anyway). The Primus uses accelerometers rather than that fancy digital stuff! Just follow the standard wiring instructions and you will be in business.

Toby
Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Nice to have you back in the forum
Worry not, I've been here, just the board was pretty slow (you know, no posts about wiring harnesses, bluetooth, etc...), so I just lurked. I'm never far away - this place is just too much fun!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

I'm never far away - this place is just too much fun!
your welcome ....... it's the late night show for me .....next.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on a Brake Controller for the new "S" tow vehicle