Sponsored by:

Looking for input on a Brake Controller for the new "S" tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
exactly how does a Cayenne owner adjust the brake control voltage? How is this level displayed to the driver?

Also how do you manually test/apply the trailer brakes? Where is the switch/control for this?

And for extra credit, does the owner's manual describe the operation of the invisible brake controller?

And for the bonus round, does the Porsche website offer any insights?
You back again ??? ....... it's Porsche magic .... if I tell you all their secrets then they would not be the over rated car they are
Old 06-17-2008, 10:07 PM
sigs
Racer

Wow! You go away for a couple of months and come back only to find that the more things change, the more they stay the same. How many posts (!!) before he (!!!) realizes he's rotating on Lewis's rotisserie (!!!!)?

Then again, Lewis seems to be overly medicated on this one. I may have to start another "tracking the Cayenne" thread just to amp him up a bit.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, being morbidly curious, and obviously understanding nothing about Porsche and/or electronics, exactly how does a Cayenne owner adjust the brake control voltage? How is this level displayed to the driver?

Also how do you manually test/apply the trailer brakes? Where is the switch/control for this?

And for extra credit, does the owner's manual describe the operation of the invisible brake controller?

I don't know any of these answers, but before I tow, I am going to prevail upon Larry for his expertise (even if seance is necessary). I don't need any more stress (or Excursions) in my life.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, being morbidly curious, and obviously understanding nothing about Porsche and/or electronics, exactly how does a Cayenne owner adjust the brake control voltage? How is this level displayed to the driver?

I don't know any of these answers, but before I tow, I am going to prevail upon Larry for his expertise (even if a seance is necessary). I don't need any more stress (or Excursions) in my life.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey - the Excursion is a great Hauler as is my F350 I purchased to tow with vice my Cayenne S - in fact I think ltc uses an Excursion....

Can't beat that diesel torque....

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Hey - the Excursion is a great Hauler as is my F350 I purchased to tow with vice my Cayenne S - in fact I think ltc uses an Excursion....

Can't beat that diesel torque....

Yup, the bride's daily driver/dog hauler/family tow vehicle is an 05 Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD Eddie Bauer Edition....loaded.
7000# of cold rolled Cayenne crushing American steel.......god, how I love it so.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

I'm interested as well.

How do you adjust gain? Manual override?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
djhrs
7th Gear

Thanks for the replys. I 've been under the dash kick pannel. No plug like on '04-'06. So...I'm stuck. I drove the trailer...and didn't feel any trailer braking. However, could have been worn out trailer brakes. Re-doing themn today/tomorrow. Then a quick test drive to see id anything is working. I'm going to call Porsche NA tomorrow ands see if they have ANY info. I'll be sure to post. At the moment...I'm a skeptic that the built-in controller will work. God I hope so. Off to the Glen on Sunday. I need this thing working.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by djhrs
Thanks for the replys. I 've been under the dash kick pannel. No plug like on '04-'06. So...I'm stuck. I drove the trailer...and didn't feel any trailer braking. However, could have been worn out trailer brakes. Re-doing themn today/tomorrow. Then a quick test drive to see id anything is working. I'm going to call Porsche NA tomorrow ands see if they have ANY info. I'll be sure to post. At the moment...I'm a skeptic that the built-in controller will work. God I hope so. Off to the Glen on Sunday. I need this thing working.

Actually, Porsche changed the configurations in MY2006. Yes, the four-wire plug is still there so that one can go over to their local VW dealer and buy the connector and wires for the harness feed. Wire that into your Prodigy controller and....... No Workie! In fact, a Tekonsha Prodigy (a top-of-the-line DIGITAL brake controller) will ONLY work on 2003-2005 Cayennes IF you tap into the brake light wire located just above the brake pedal in the early Cayennes. In MY2006, Porsche actually moved that brake light switch into the master cylinder. Don't ask me why.. it would be like asking me about wiring harnesses for Bi-Xenon lights or something to that effect! But I digress....... BTW, the reason you need to tap into the brake light switch line is that the Cayenne introduces a fluctuating voltage value on the brake light wire that drives digital controllers crazy. Put a meter on that wire and watch it dance! And since a Prodigy needs +5V to induce braking action, you will never see that value on the brake wire line in the harness.

So, for MY2006+ Cayennes, you need to revert to the older, non-digital brake controllers. Mine is the Tekonsha Primus motion-sensing controller. Thank you very much Porsche!

As to whether Porsche actually integrated a brake controller into the 1D6/1D8 control unit or ECU or MOST or CAN-Bus, I can say from personal experience, it ain't there. My first Cayenne adventure was an 04 S (early Beta model) and I currently drive a 2006 Cayenne Turbo. And yes, I tow my race car in a 24' enclosed Haulmark. So, to your assertion that there is an integrated brake controller in your Cayenne Turbo, I can only offer my opinion (based on 5+ years of Cayenne ownership)..... No way, no how is there an integrated brake controller in the Towing package. Spending that kind of money is NOT in Porsche's genetic makeup.

I'm not sure how you know that the brakes are functioning on your trailer, but the native stopping power of the Cayenne Turbo is pretty good. Perhaps you've been seduced by that feeling???? Don't know and am not criticizing, but I think someone has led you down a primrose path about an integrated controller.

Toby
Old 06-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colm
I don't know any of these answers, but before I tow, I am going to prevail upon Larry for his expertise (even if a seance is necessary). I don't need any more stress (or Excursions) in my life.
Ahh Larry, how we miss him so. Was just thinking about him the other day when I bought a pair of LED flashlights!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djhrs

Oh, and BTW, go to your local VW dealer to buy the parts (you can find the part numbers here using the Advanced Search function), then go to your local towing palce and buy a Tekonsha Primus controller. Hook them up, plug your trailer into your receptacle on the bumper and you are in bidness (I *am* from Texas!). Just DO NOT get LED lights for your trailer. If you do, I hope you have some very powerful flashlights (one for each side of your Cayenne) and some racer's tape.

Toby
Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Yup, the bride's daily driver/dog hauler/family tow vehicle is an 05 Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD Eddie Bauer Edition....loaded.
7000# of cold rolled Cayenne crushing American steel.......god, how I love it so.
God you guys are sensitive, I was just playing around with the word excursion (since I knew a certain person owned one, my memory is not that bad)

Anyway, I will, hopefully, have the seance with Larry on the the brake controller thing to avoid unnecessary journeys. It is all so confusing !!!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Dear (non-Rennlist member) user 'Daddy Turbo'.

Feel free to use whichever knee you are most comfortable with.
Take your time, no rush.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Oh, and BTW, go to your local VW dealer to buy the parts (you can find the part numbers here using the Advanced Search function)
Available from VW dealer or online here:

Qty 2 000979228 http://worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-...mi_149563.html
Qty 1 1J0972782 http://worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-...ng_123320.html

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
....If you do (re:LED trailer lights), I hope you have some very powerful flashlights (one for each side of your Cayenne) and some racer's tape.
Toby
I would like to take this opportunity to state that the "2 Maglights, 1 case of D batteries and 1 racer's tape night time towing modification" has been tested on Cayennes with BiXenon headlights
Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I'm interested as well.
How do you adjust gain? Manual override?
I'm anxiously awaiting the reply to these questions as well, since 'Daddy Turbo' has stated : "I have now owned two cayenne's and have pulled trailers loaded with race cars all over the country"

So clearly such a trailer/towing expert would IMMEDIATELY know how to adjust gain and locate the manual override switch before setting out on of adventure towing race cars all over the country.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on a Brake Controller for the new "S" tow vehicle