Sponsored by:

Oil Consumption on Turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leek
I checked mine this morning. The consumption appears to be slowing down. 3000 miles since last service and dipstick is still reading full.
see my bitching is paying off. ...... the Porsche techs are running around filling every-ones CTTs with oil so I don't have grounds to go public LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by daddy Turbo
If I were a rich man,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were a wealthy man.
I wouldn't have to work hard.
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
Lord who mad the lion and the lamb,
You decreed I should be what I am.
Would it spoil some vast eternal plan?
If I were a wealthy man.
Great musical; however the Cayenne isn't quite Kosher
Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 AM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
Great musical; however the Cayenne isn't quite Kosher
No I am "TEVYE" fiddling on the roof of Porsche, asking for something maybe only God can grant. Instead of money I am asking for oil
Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this just a Turbo issue or do the non-turbo's start this way too? I've had my "S" for just over 6k mi. and the only thing I've done is remove 1/2 qt. of oil after the selling dealer overfilled it during the CPO service before I bought it. It now has 38K mi. and it reads just a gnats *** below the full mark, and I drive it fairly hard.

Also, the Elf Excellium 5w40 came yesterday, the M3 will get changed first, it's on the lift now. I'll do the Pepper at about 7,500 mi.

Our local dealer was just bought by Sonic. They have a assortment of used cars in a "fleet" that they use for "rentals" for people like me that didn't buy the car from them. Don't know if this is a temporary situation until they build up the dealership or if this is how they plan to run the dealership. As for loaners for people who bought new cars from them I don't know what they do yet.

Correction Took the Pepper back in today for a dash control unit replacement (2nd time, 1st replacement couldn't be changed from kilometers to miles, long story) and they have an Enterprise rep., gave me a G6 (on the dealer's dime). He called it a "sporty car", I just smiled.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 05-21-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally associated with PAG Turbo engines; normally aspirated PAG engines (oil scraper issues aside....which one forum member experienced to the point of having an engine replaced) do not have the same 'approved oil consumption guidelines'.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:28 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daddy Turbo
No I am "TEVYE" fiddling on the roof of Porsche, asking for something maybe only God can grant. Instead of money I am asking for oil
Well at least at Park Place Porsche in Dallas they are giving away free oil. They topped my off and it was NC (no charge)

Once again the service director told me that all dealerships should do this if asked ? I will try Autobahn Porsche in Fort Worth next.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if switching to a 5w40 oil wouldn't reduce the consumption? It's still in the recommended viscosity range.

Earlier this week I changed the oil in my '97 M3 to the previously mentioned Elf Excellium 5w40 and it knocked a full .8 sec off my best time getting out of the development and it added at least 8 hp by my butt dyno!!

Just kidding
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
daddy Turbo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Elf Excellium 5w40 and it knocked a full .8 sec off my best time getting out of the development and it added at least 8 hp by my butt dyno!!
Just kidding
I am going to Nashville .......... maybe my CTT will be 12 mph faster
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what the culprit normally is if you are burning more than the qt per ~750mi ??? I just purchased my CTT 1100 miles ago and have added ~2 qts. I have to start tracking the qts per mile a little closer but I know I'm burning more than is considered "normal". Does the 4.5L TT have the same piston ring problems as the 4.8L NA?

55,000 miles, 2006 Turbo.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
heypete
Advanced

I've noticed that is also depends on your type of driving...city v highway. I burn a lot more driving only in the city
Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Owners manual states that oil consumption can be up to 1.58 quarts every 600 miles (1 qt every 380 miles) for both the Cayenne S and Turbo.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by joes95rx7
Does anyone know what the culprit normally is if you are burning more than the qt per ~750mi ??? I just purchased my CTT 1100 miles ago and have added ~2 qts. I have to start tracking the qts per mile a little closer but I know I'm burning more than is considered "normal". Does the 4.5L TT have the same piston ring problems as the 4.8L NA?

55,000 miles, 2006 Turbo.
When was the last oil change? If there was a lot of short drives water/condensation may be trapped in the oil and it will burn off on a longer drive. Hence the need to add oil. If it's had a recent oil change, I have no idea why it's burning so much. I haven't been good about tracking how often I add a quart but I'm guessing mine burns one every few thousand miles.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Cannoli
Instructor

I asked my P-Car Indy about the high oil consumption and was told that this IS normal for turbo engines. They are made a bit looser than non-turbo engines, so oil consumption will occur. I don't know how true this is, but this what I was told ... and I don't necessarily believe everything I'm told. I'm on the fence with this one.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:55 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback on the oil consumption. I'll be checking it every fill up (400-500 miles). I'll also try to analyze any trends with the type of driving that was performed between fill ups. Reason I say that is I think it will burn more if I'm heavy on the gas. Its a fact that all turbo type vehicle will consume more oil than a NA because of the "blow-by" My RX-7 is the same just not burning as much as fast.

Another question is lifter noise. I'm hearing what sounds to be lifter clacking but it doesn't go away after warming up. Anyone else experience this ticking noise? BTW, I can't hear the noise inside the vehicle while driving; just when its running and I'm standing in front of it with the hood open or closed.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 AM
joes95rx7
Advanced

At 400 miles now since I topped it off last time. It has not consumed any oil at all. I'm very happy with this result but baffled at how I was burning so much in the first 1000 miles of owning the CTT and now I'm not burning any at all. Hmmm... I guess I'll right it off to it having water (condensation from short trips prior to my owning it) in the oil that burned off. I'll keep checking and post any anomalies.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption on Turbo ?