Sponsored by:

Infant car seat in Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infant car seat in Cayenne?

Since the baby that necessitated the Cayenne purchase will be born soon, I'm getting the car seat mounted. I have a nice car seat with the LATCH system, and I've read the Cayenne's manual about how to attach it.

But my question is - can the baby seat be mounted in the center of the back seat, using the LATCH anchors? The manual only describes mounting it on the left or right sides. I assume there's also the option of attaching it in the center using just the center lap belt, instead of the LATCH anchors.

Anyone have similar experiences to share?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

new baby! many congrats!
For better safety, I tried the center mount when my daughter was an infant but the center seat bulge made the (Britax) car seat unstable forcing me to do a side seat mount.
Your baby still be riding in an overall safe car even in a side mount.
just my experience & opinion.
good luck,
Sam
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

I have a 22 month old and another on the way in 6 weeks...I have only been able to get a good fit on the sides as well and they are the only seats you can use for latch. I use a Recaro seat with side impact protection for the 22 month old an rear facing which is detachable from the base - a nice option since you will be caring them in that thing for several months - wifes Audi has the same base as well.
Also be sure to use the tether when you get to that stage no matter what seat you put it on.
Congrats and good luck...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
RUthless
Advanced

Not true about the sides being the only place to mount a latch...you can us the center by latching to the two center latch locations. Also the is a rear latch hook lower down on the back wall. look in your trunk and you see two rear latch things on the left & right 1/2 way daown but then one in the center 3/4 of the way down...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

My 04 CTT does not have latch for the center seat...just the latch. Guessing you are referring to the inner latches from the sides...just didn't know if that was considered 'safe'
Old 04-16-2008, 11:06 PM
racefaith
4th Gear

Default Should fit in the center

I have our Britax Boulevard in the center on our new model. The tethers should easily reach the inboard Latch mounts if your truck doesn't have the center set and always make sure you add in the over the bench anchor. That will make it immoveable.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by JRCTT
My 04 CTT does not have latch for the center seat...just the latch. Guessing you are referring to the inner latches from the sides...just didn't know if that was considered 'safe'
This is the question I was trying to ask from the beginning, and you summed it up perfectly. I'm sure the infant seat's base straps could reach the two center LATCH hooks, but the manual doesn't mention this.

Originally Posted by racefaith
I have our Britax Boulevard in the center on our new model. The tethers should easily reach the inboard Latch mounts if your truck doesn't have the center set and always make sure you add in the over the bench anchor. That will make it immoveable.
So is this anchor necessary for a rear facing infant seat on a LATCH mounted base?

We have the Peg Perego Primo Viaggo SIP seat. (sidenote: got it for $75 off because its not "this year's color")
Old 04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by dp35
So is this anchor necessary for a rear facing infant seat on a LATCH mounted base?
I have two different rear facing seats and neither of them came with a tether - I do not think they are designed to use one since they are rear facing. The latch comes into place when you have a forward facing seat and should always be used - with the latch or the belt.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:13 PM
catchacab
Instructor

When we were a single child famiy, I used mounted the infant seat (Graco) then convertable childseat (Britax Roundabout) in the center, using the inner latch attachments. When the Britax was rear facing I attached the teather to the front seat mounting bracket.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:14 AM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did the rear facing in the center but we attached it with the seatbelt and the metal thigamajig that came with the seat. We took it to the fire station and they hooked it up for us. That way, I knew it was hooked up correctly! Now, we have one of the Britax seats and it's on the rear passenger side with the latch.

Quick Reply: Infant car seat in Cayenne?