Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a pre-owned Cayenne? Some tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a pre-owned Cayenne? Some tips

Since I just did this and it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd start this thread for folks thinking of doing the same. I hope this doesn't turn into a "you'll be sorry for even thinking of buying one" thread but I'll give it a try anyway.

Also, I would suggest you become a member of Renntech.org ($25) to get access to the TSB's, well worth the investment.

1) DVD (PCM) Nav: if it's an '05 or newer you can get both PCM & Map s/w updates. Unfortunately they're expensive as I understand it. I wish I had negotiated and made the dealer update the system as a condition to the purchase. I (think) the latest map s/w is 08.2007, it's on the label of the DVD. PCM s/w is much harder, see the TSB's.

2) Trailer wiring: So you think you're smart in getting Pepper w/ the tow pkg? Well guess what, just because you have the tow pkg. doesn't mean you can hook trailer lights to the Pepper! They don't come from the factory or most dealers with the socket to plug your trailer lights into. Save yourself some aggravation and make your selling dealer get/install the socket! Hooking up to a trailer w/ LED lights is another story, search the forum.

3) Pricing: It's looking like the dealer's aren't giving much value to traded in Peppers and (IMHO) there's a good bit of markup on the used (even CPO) cars. Don't be afraid to negotiate. I was searching the CPO listings for better than a month and they're a few dealers that are very proud of their cars, they were starting them out way high (again IMO). It also seems like dealers are putting a significant premium on low mileage (5k -20k mile) vehicles, this seems unjustified to me on a Pepper. On a 911 Turbo, GT2, GT3 ect. I can understand, not on a Cayenne S (again, JMHO).

Hopefully others will have more suggestions to add.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 03-18-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

4) CPO listings: Use Porsche's CPO search feature Porsche Link, go to pre-owned search, USA, then select the model of vehicle and year range but don't select any of the other parameters as when I got too selective it always came back "no cars match your criteria" even though I knew there were many cars that matched. You'll find many vehicles on that list have already been sold (mine was still there last I checked) but using the email info request feature works well.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 03-15-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Wazoo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question CPO or not?

Thanks for the helpful info...I've been looking at a Cayenne S...2006. Wide disparity depending on mileage CPO/not CPO and of course dealer desperation. Today looked at a 2006 Cayenne S Titanium Pkg...very nice but 36k miles...and it's been in service only since july 2006.

Looks like this car was a service loaner for a bit, then the buyer put about 25-30k miles on it and traded it at a Jag dealer. He's asking $42k but started to twitch when I mentioned it had been sitting a long time and he might have to take it to auction...I doubt he'd get more than $36 at auction for it...because of mileage. Not sure i want to buy a non CPO car, however...the extra warranty seems worth it, given the troubles i've seen on this board. I might try this guy on for $37k...worst thing he can say is, NO. LOL

Of course, a CPO car with this kind of mileage, at a dealer, will be in the mid 40s. I've seen comparable 06s with 10 to 20k mileage that are in the 50s...ridiculous if you ask me.

Appreciate any other insight/experiences. I've owned 3 previous Porsches...2 x 1987 Carreras, and the C4 pictured.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Personally I wanted a CPO vehicle for resale (when I get around to selling). I wouldn't worry about 36k mi. (mine has 32k) but getting a warranty 'til 100k makes a big diff. in my book. I think you could get an ext. warr. from your local dealer just have no idea how much $$$.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Wazoo
Instructor

Default CPO premium

What do you think the premium is for a CPO vs. a car still in warranty, but soon to go out of warranty? The Cayenne I'm referring to has 36k miles and has over 2 years left on the factory warranty.

Also, reading another forum, a poster said that the CPO warranties are "free" to the dealer...i.e. PCNA does not charge anything for them and certifies to ensure that owners trade cars in at the Porsche dealer. The dealer charges for work done to do the inspection and marks up as they feel is necessary. It is alleged that this is done to ensure that Porsche dealers get the trade ins for new vehicle purchases and have the "preferred" inventory in any market. The markup is profit to the dealer and helps keep up residuals...I guess.

It seems an expensive thing to do for PCNA, given the # of issues that these cars can experience...PCNA has to pay the warranty expense...however, many Porsche owners do trade their cars...curious if anyone has the facts on this. I do know for a fact that other OEMs "charge" for their warranties and the dealers mark them up.

Last edited by Wazoo; 03-16-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added comment/question
Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wazoo
What do you think the premium is for a CPO vs. a car still in warranty, but soon to go out of warranty? The Cayenne I'm referring to has 36k miles and has over 2 years left on the factory warranty.

Also, reading another forum, a poster said that the CPO warranties are "free" to the dealer...i.e. PCNA does not charge anything for them and certifies to ensure that owners trade cars in at the Porsche dealer. The dealer charges for work done to do the inspection and marks up as they feel is necessary. It is alleged that this is done to ensure that Porsche dealers get the trade ins for new vehicle purchases and have the "preferred" inventory in any market. The markup is profit to the dealer and helps keep up residuals...I guess.

It seems an expensive thing to do for PCNA, given the # of issues that these cars can experience...PCNA has to pay the warranty expense...however, many Porsche owners do trade their cars...curious if anyone has the facts on this. I do know for a fact that other OEMs "charge" for their warranties and the dealers mark them up.
I do not know the answer but believe I read that CPO costs the dealer around $2k but I don't remember where I read it. It is in the CPO packet I got from my purchase that the dealer is required to run the vehicle thru service and any maint/repairs must be completed by the dealer before it can be designated as CPO. Mine got oil/filter, 4 new tires, front brake rotors/pads and new wiper blades and the invoice for $2,610 came in the packet. Of course we know the dealer made a profit on that $2600 service too.

Understand that if a vehicle is still under factory warranty and then gets put under CPO it's a much better deal than one not under factory warranty then being designated CPO. The CPO brochure on Porsche's web site explains it well.

One vehicle I was looking at in the beginning (from a Porsche dealer) was represented/advertised by the dealer as being CPO w/ 6 yr./100k mi. but had 59K mi. on the vehicle. I questioned them on how it could get the 6yr (total) CPO warranty when it was out of factory warranty when it went under CPO? They admitted it was an error on their part and they promptly changed the advertising to reflect the correction.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:21 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stating the obvious...

Do you research on the dealers, and choose one where you know and like the people, and trust them. To me, paying more at the front end of the sale is acceptable when I know I'm buying from people that will not only back me up if something goes wrong, but that also make the ownership experience enjoyable all the time. With Porsches, for whatever reason, there seem to be dealers that take offense to driving a car for anything but to and from the bakery on Sundays, and others that support the marque and all it represents (including that 911s and Caymans do sometimes see a racetrack, and Cayennes do sometimes see off-road use). Here in NJ, we run the gamut..choose wisely.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Wazoo
Instructor

Good input...price is important...I did get lease quotes on the new 2008 Cayenne S...and drove the GTS. The GTS is a bit much for my taste...I still want to be able to plow through a snowbank without losing a spoiler.....

As far as dealers go, here in metro Detroit, not many choices...I've not had great service experiences with the two Porsche Dealers in the north and western suburbs (not naming names).

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
Stating the obvious...

Do you research on the dealers, and choose one where you know and like the people, and trust them. To me, paying more at the front end of the sale is acceptable when I know I'm buying from people that will not only back me up if something goes wrong, but that also make the ownership experience enjoyable all the time. With Porsches, for whatever reason, there seem to be dealers that take offense to driving a car for anything but to and from the bakery on Sundays, and others that support the marque and all it represents (including that 911s and Caymans do sometimes see a racetrack, and Cayennes do sometimes see off-road use). Here in NJ, we run the gamut..choose wisely.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
Stating the obvious...

Those of you with more than one dealer to choose from are very lucky. Personally, we have one local dealer, they have very limited inventory and have the attitude that if you want a Porsche you'll have to come to them. Our local PCA club has tried for years to develop a relationship to benefit both groups but we've had very little success. However the dealership has just been sold, unfortunately to Sonic, so we'll see if their attitude changes.

I have to go over 100 mi. to get to the next closest dealer. For this purchase I decided to find the vehicle I wanted and hope for the best when I have to deal with the dealer.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Wazoo
Instructor

Default Went for '08 Cayenne S

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Those of you with more than one dealer to choose from are very lucky. Personally, we have one local dealer, they have very limited inventory and have the attitude that if you want a Porsche you'll have to come to them. Our local PCA club has tried for years to develop a relationship to benefit both groups but we've had very little success. However the dealership has just been sold, unfortunately to Sonic, so we'll see if their attitude changes.

I have to go over 100 mi. to get to the next closest dealer. For this purchase I decided to find the vehicle I wanted and hope for the best when I have to deal with the dealer.
Well...I decided against the "used" Cayenne and went with an '08 S...lease. I did go for a ride in the GTS (as I previously mentioned) and enjoyed it...for the ride. Was more than a bit concerned about going out of warranty in the next 12 months on the '06 Cayenne Titanium S...and the extra horsepower in the '08 and the salesman's German accent won me over (he, he...just kidding).

I drop off the "dolphin grey" 2006 S4 tomorrow and pick up the Cayenne S. My one concern? The tires on the car (love the warning on the door jamb) will not allow me to cruise at 150 mph for long periods of time...or something to that effect. Yeah...if only...

Old 03-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Personally I wanted a CPO vehicle for resale (when I get around to selling). I wouldn't worry about 36k mi. (mine has 32k) but getting a warranty 'til 100k makes a big diff. in my book. I think you could get an ext. warr. from your local dealer just have no idea how much $$$.
I thought I purchased a CPO CS. The dealer told me it cost an extra $2,000 at time of purchase. At my 40k service I was informed that I did not have it. Called my original dealer, and he remembered me asking for a CPO. He thought I had it as well. He looked it up and said "Oops"

$2,900 will get me the CPO certification. I will be visiting him this Friday.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Wazoo
Instructor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Divot
I thought I purchased a CPO CS. The dealer told me it cost an extra $2,000 at time of purchase. At my 40k service I was informed that I did not have it. Called my original dealer, and he remembered me asking for a CPO. He thought I had it as well. He looked it up and said "Oops"

Wow...bet that was a shock...glad the dealer remembered and will honor it. That's one of those BIG mistakes.

As I said, I opted for an '08 Cayenne S Lease instead of the non CPO car...after I did the math (and I don't trust aftermarket warranty companies...no sense playing russian roulette; most of them are going under) it seemed that getting a CPO added to that type of car got me right back to what is already out there as a CPO anyway. And, I did like the extra 45 hp.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Divot

Damn, that is a pisser! When I picked up my vehicle I was going to ask for something to prove it was a CPO vehicle but they beat me to it, had the "official" CPO folder with all the signoffs out and ready for me. It was also written on the sales contract (I think they were proud of it?).

Are they going to make you put your vehicle through the inspection process all over again?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wazoo
Wow...bet that was a shock...glad the dealer remembered and will honor it. That's one of those BIG mistakes.

As I said, I opted for an '08 Cayenne S Lease instead of the non CPO car...after I did the math (and I don't trust aftermarket warranty companies...no sense playing russian roulette; most of them are going under) it seemed that getting a CPO added to that type of car got me right back to what is already out there as a CPO anyway. And, I did like the extra 45 hp.

Maybe I wasn't clear. He did remember it, he didn't say he would honor it. Well, he said he will honor it if I cough up $2,900. Therefore, I will be paying him a visit this Friday. I will see if he is willing to compromise. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wazoo-if I understand correctly you are going from a 997 to a Cayenne. Would you share your thoughts on the two cars.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a pre-owned Cayenne? Some tips