Sponsored by:

The dreaded what is it worth thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt

Next is my 04CTT. Excellent condition. All records including window sticker. No issues currently. 28,xxx miles all options that were needed at the time Light convenience package etc. Wood trim, moonroof, 6-disk cd changer etc. Tow hitch and prodigy controller. Ski bag etc, crested 19" wheels decent tire tread, spare tire, clear bra covers 50% of entire car. More but can't remember off the top of my head.

Ideas.

Thanks In advance
www.cars.com. Just get local market values.

BTW most of those extras are worthless - it is basically down to the basic CTT. PCM worth a little. PASM worth more, most else worth zilch.

And if the "clear bra covers 50% of entire car", you may really have problems.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:09 AM
potentialcayenne
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has 17,900 miles in one year which concerns me, a lot of miles in one year.
IMO,
that should be a good sign...at least the prev owner was able to drive it 17,900 miles in a year and it wasnt sitting in the service deptartment waiting on parts or getting repaired.......if he drove it almost 18k in a year it should indicate he had confidence in it and did not have any issues with it and likely took long excursions with it or just drove it every day.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by potentialcayenne
IMO,
that should be a good sign...at least the prev owner was able to drive it 17,900 miles in a year and it wasnt sitting in the service deptartment waiting on parts or getting repaired.......if he drove it almost 18k in a year it should indicate he had confidence in it and did not have any issues with it and likely took long excursions with it or just drove it every day.
OK, so we have the 'optimistic, glass is half full reply'.

But, since this is the Cayenne forum, I think it only fair that we have the 'pessimistic, glass is half empty reply'.

So, in memory of the famous Dan Akryod/Jane Curtin SNL Point - Counterpoint skits......

potentialcayenne,
you ignorant ****.
did you ever consider for a moment that the high mileage is NOT a good sign.
did you ever consider that this vehicle may in fact have made 179 100 mile round trip visits to the Porsche service department?

thank you.
(God, how i love newbies)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

on a slightly more serious note, what is the Porsche yearly lease mileage # (averaged over length of lease).
17,900 in a year for a daily driver doesn't seem that out of line.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default UPDATE!!!!

Ok took it for a test drive yesterday, this is what I observed.

Nice clean car no evidence of accidents or paint work, clean inside and out. Other than the fact that it is missing the dimming rear view mirror and says turbo S on the control cover it is nearly identical in every way to my 04. I have the same black and dark wood interior,sports seats etc, so I felt like I was in the same car. Have to admit the non dimming mirror looks cheesy compared to the dimming one but I never liked dimming mirrors.

Took it for a spin, Power was better a bit more responsive than my 04 but would be hard to say how much faster it is. I was more impressed by the additional braking. I think the TTS brakes are what the CT is missing more than added HP. Car has no squeaks or noises whatsoever. Even when the steering wheel retracts it is quieter than my 04.

The big difference i noticed is my 04 rides much firmer than the 06. Comfort on my 04 is like sport on the 06. Was there a software or suspension change over the years? The ride in the CTTS was supple and yet controlled vs my 04 which feels like it has racing springs in it. I feel every bump in my 04 and the 06 glides over them without noticing in all modes. This is with 20" technos/ demari's on the 06 and 19" with Perreli's on my 04. I have to say I prefer the feel of the 06 better but it is not worth spending a lot of extra money for a slightly smoother ride. If there is a software upgrade someone knows about I would appreciate the info.

Now the tough part $$. We are at $69k for the 06 which IMO is a screaming deal on this CTTS. They were incredibly nice and very interested in making a deal but did not want to push. If I don't buy this one and anyone is interested I would be happy to pass the info along.

The bad news is they wanted to give me $38k for my 04 CT. They came up a bit and offered to swap over my roof rails and tow hitch at no additional cost which really works out to be IMO an incredibly fair deal but still further apart than I would like.

For about $8-10k I can flash the ECU put in a sport exhaust and filters and upgrade my brakes to CTTS brakes. If I wanted the bigger IC's another $5k (which I don't think I need) and I basically have a CTTS that will never recoup the money out of but still leaves me $15k in my pocket to buy an extended warranty do work on my turbo and buy the appliances for my basement kitchen I am having redone.

So I have the weekend to think it over. Tough decision. Will keep everyone informed.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Wow. The market is even softer than I thought (both on the buy and sell sides). Is the $69 price contingent on the trade. If not, one option would be to buy it at that price and sell the '04 privately and try to do a little better.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Wow. The market is even softer than I thought. Is the $69 price contingent on the trade. If not, one option would be to buy it at that price and sell the '04 privately and try to do a little better.
No this is through a wholesaler not a dealer. The CTTS price is fair. The problem with buying it outright is I need to sell the 04 for $43k min just to make up the tax difference, advertising and insurance. To make it worth my while I would need to get $45-$48k, I might be sitting on it for a while trying to get that price. So unless they are willing to come up on the 04 or down on the 06 I might have to pass. One other option is to see how much they want for an extended warranty. So far I have pricing from my dealer for $2.5k for an additional 4/40, if they are willing to do better it might bring us close enough.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No this is through a wholesaler not a dealer. The CTTS price is fair. The problem with buying it outright is I need to sell the 04 for $43k min just to make up the tax difference, advertising and insurance. To make it worth my while I would need to get $45-$48k, I might be sitting on it for a while trying to get that price. So unless they are willing to come up on the 04 or down on the 06 I might have to pass. One other option is to see how much they want for an extended warranty. So far I have pricing from my dealer for $2.5k for an additional 4/40, if they are willing to do better it might bring us close enough.
Some good info. I am surprised you can get a 4/40 warranty for 2.5k from a dealer (esp. on a turbo).
Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW and IMHO, the Powerkit brake upgrade is one of the best modifications for a Cayenne (given the speed/weight of the vehicle).
Old 03-08-2008, 01:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Some good info. I am surprised you can get a 4/40 warranty for 2.5k from a dealer (esp. on a turbo).
I bought a 4/48 full Ford extended warranty for my bride's 05 Excursion Powerstroke diesel 4x4 for $2500.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wow. The market is even softer than I thought (both on the buy and sell sides)..
Consider if you will....

200,000 Cayennes produced.

Gas prices (although if you're buying a Porsche, you shouldn't worry about gas mileage/costs.)

Existing dealer inventory for NEW Cayennes. Dealers don't want used Cayennes (or other Porsche models) on their lots/books, competing for new sales, unless the used vehicle is exceptional and can be moved quickly. They usually just auction the vehicle and focus on the new sale.

Again, wholesale to wholesale, retail to retail, pricing is pricing and that's that.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:43 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

...and I thought Cayenne depreciation was bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220311812458

There is another 360 on e bay which is stuck at about $80K with "no reserve."

P.S. Somehow (according to KBB) the trade in value of my Cayenne has actually gone up in the last few months by a few thousand bucks. I suspect this has to do with gas prices.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

P.S. Somehow (according to KBB) the trade in value of my Cayenne has actually gone up in the last few months by a few thousand bucks. I suspect this has to do with gas prices.
SELL, SELL, SELL......
Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
SELL, SELL, SELL......
Great idea! It will free up some cash to order a Panamera.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Great idea! It will free up some cash to order a Panamera.
Don't you even think about it......

Quick Reply: The dreaded what is it worth thread.