Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded what is it worth thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default The dreaded what is it worth thread.

Ok I am looking at an 06 CTTS has everything I have in my current 04 CTT but no trailer hitch. I am looking at it today.

here is the info on the 06. MSRP just below $118k has 17,900 miles in one year which concerns me, a lot of miles in one year. So warranty ends in 1/2011.
Options are:

Colored Crest
6-CD Changer
roll up sunscreens
rear camera
phone module
dark wood package and shifter
Ski Bag
moonroof

? What does the phone module offer? Do I need a specific phone or is this a form of bluetooth?

So what might this CTTS be worth?

Next is my 04CTT. Excellent condition. All records including window sticker. No issues currently. 28,xxx miles all options that were needed at the time Light convenience package etc. Wood trim, moonroof, 6-disk cd changer etc. Tow hitch and prodigy controller. Ski bag etc, crested 19" wheels decent tire tread, spare tire, clear bra covers 50% of entire car. More but can't remember off the top of my head.

Ideas.

Thanks In advance
Old 03-07-2008, 12:43 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayenne depreciation is just terrible. I know my '06 CS is now valued in the $20's in trade (MSRP was low $70's).

I suspect you will be hard pressed to find a dealer who offers you $50K or more for your 04 CTT, and I suspect a dealer would be willing to part with that '06 TT in the mid-high $70's.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cayenne depreciation? After only 200K produced? Shocking.

Your dealer will likely NOT offer your car as a CPO (too old, too much liability, no real reason to....check the current Cayenne inventory on Porsches Certified PreOnwed section, look for CPO vs Non CPO), etc), so they will likely auction the car (of course this depends on their current inventory of Cayennes).

So, I would expect them to use Galves pricing for your 04TT trade in. If that is the case, you should be looking at what wholesale on the 06TTS is and calculate your out of pocket from there.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, Toby is the resident forum expert on phone module (prep) and has posted some excellent info on the subject.

Now that I think of it, he is also the resident forum expert on BiXenons as well
Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...? What does the phone module offer? Do I need a specific phone or is this a form of bluetooth?...
You need to have GSM cell phone provider. In my area, AT&T and T-Mobile are the ones I am aware of. Verizon and Nextel/Sprint are not. If you are under service of a GSM provider, your phone will have a SIM card (size of your finger nail) usually under the battery. Or I have heard with some provider, you can buy an additional card under the same number. Anyways, you stick that card into a slot/tray which looks like a blank button on the left side of the radio. All navigation headunits have that slot, but only if you have the phone module option then it will work.

As far as how it works or how well it works, I cannot answer you. I have the slot but not that option But I would assume it works like a speaker phone thru the radio speakers and the mic is somewhere....
Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Originally Posted by rome
Cayenne depreciation is just terrible. I know my '06 CS is now valued in the $20's in trade (MSRP was low $70's).
Ouch! Really? Ouch!

I was hoping to trade it in for something else a few years from now but it may be cheaper to keep it. With a bit of luck the $ to maintain it may be less than the $ lost in value.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:27 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rome

I suspect you will be hard pressed to find a dealer who offers you $50K or more for your 04 CTT, and I suspect a dealer would be willing to part with that '06 TT in the mid-high $70's.
Are you sure your 06 is only valued in the $20s? How many miles do you have? I seem to recall a member here recently sold a red one in the high $40s without too much trouble. And I recently saw couple dealer listings of low mileage titanium edition in the $60s which I thought was ridiculously high.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

He said in trade, so yes, it will likey begin with a 2, as likely Galves pricing will be used.

IIRC, Joanne (RJT) sold their pure red Titanium S for high $40's, but that was a private party sale.

Keep it simple....retail to retail or wholesale to wholesale.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wilfred
....and the mic is somewhere....
The microphone is above your head.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 PM
vyper340
Pro

CTTS should be worth $68-72k based on mileage and options from what I saw when I was looking. Perhaps a touch more if it's CPO'ed.

The rear camera will be a problematic thing in my opinion since Porsche over-engineered it and it have moving parts. All the other stuff is good.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts

thanks all

I am looking at high 60's low 70's for the 06 and would be happy to get $48k for my 04, $45k min, but that depends on the 06's price. I hope it works out but if not I am back to flashing the ECU and changing out the exhaust.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
Ouch! Really? Ouch!

I was hoping to trade it in for something else a few years from now but it may be cheaper to keep it. With a bit of luck the $ to maintain it may be less than the $ lost in value.
This is a big reason why you see so few people on this board (and generally) trading their Cayennes in for new ones. (Those who had Cayennes coming off lease are a different story, of course).

My plan (right now) is to keep it for a couple more years (or at least until the redesign). That way, I can benefit somewhat as the depreciation curve flattens -- hey, how much lower can it go-- and then I'll trade it in once I go over the 100,000 mile mark for negligible value (I'm hoping $10,000, but it will probably be less) to apply towards a new one. (I do love the truck).

P.S. I have almost 55,000 miles on the clock now and I know I can't get > $30K from a dealer in trade for it.

The good news is that my 993 seems not to depreciate very much, if at all.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:38 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
thanks all

I am looking at high 60's low 70's for the 06 and would be happy to get $48k for my 04, $45k min, but that depends on the 06's price. I hope it works out but if not I am back to flashing the ECU and changing out the exhaust.
Hate to be the pessimist, but I think high 60s to low 70s would be a bit overly optimistic. I had been looking on eBay, AutoTrader, and the Porsche AG inventory of used CTTSs. A quick look on the Porsche AG list of pre-owned CTTSs shows the lowest price of $75,900 for a CTTS. This one has nearly 28K miles, though. You might get one in the low 70s, but it is likely to be in a less-desirable color, non-CPOed, and with a lot of miles. If you were able to work a deal under $70K for a nice low-mileage CTTS, I would be amazed.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that it makes depreciation any easier to take, but most luxury cars are depreciating exponentially right now, largely due to the economy. There was a story just today about how car repossessions are at an all time record, with so many people living beyond their means. This creates a glut of newer-used vehicles on the market. Adding to the problem is that new cars are being sold at such drastic markdowns and financial incentives, and the problem with used car depreciation gets worse.

You could also argue that the cars that used to have legendary resale...the BMWs, Mercedes, and Porsches of the world...earned that right by having world-class construction and decent reliability. Case in point, look at how older 911s age, not just mechanically, but in the materials. If you sit in a 1975 Mercedes-Benz sedan and then get into a 2000 model, chances are the materials are in better shape at this point in the 1975. (I just sat in a '78 6.9 the other day, unrestored, and it was remarkable. Every dial still had its lustre and markings.) BMW lost their touch with materials IMHO with the E36 3'er...everything went downhill from there in materials. The last great Mercedes might be the 1994 E Class, or perhaps the SL of that same vintage which shared similar construction materials. With Porsche, the 993 was the last one before they fell off the slope. All of these great German cars used to seem as they were carved from single slabs of granite, but no more. Resale has to be based upon more than initial price and market demand...there is intrinsic value missing in the newer breeds.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
You could also argue that the cars that used to have legendary resale...the BMWs, Mercedes, and Porsches of the world...earned that right by having world-class construction and decent reliability. Case in point, look at how older 911s age, not just mechanically, but in the materials. If you sit in a 1975 Mercedes-Benz sedan and then get into a 2000 model, chances are the materials are in better shape at this point in the 1975. (I just sat in a '78 6.9 the other day, unrestored, and it was remarkable. Every dial still had its lustre and markings.) BMW lost their touch with materials IMHO with the E36 3'er...everything went downhill from there in materials. The last great Mercedes might be the 1994 E Class, or perhaps the SL of that same vintage which shared similar construction materials. With Porsche, the 993 was the last one before they fell off the slope. All of these great German cars used to seem as they were carved from single slabs of granite, but no more. Resale has to be based upon more than initial price and market demand...there is intrinsic value missing in the newer breeds.
I think there is a lot of truth to this. For example, when I sit in my 993, while the interior may look "less modern", it reeks of quality. The leather is beautiful and buttery, the materials are all first rate and show hardly any wear after 10+ years. Even the plastic and rubber parts are first rate (as compared to, for example, the sunglasses holder in the Cayenne (which screams "disposable").

It is clearly a car built more towards an ideal than to make a profit.

Quick Reply: The dreaded what is it worth thread.