Sponsored by:

Why so few with PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:17 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why so few with PASM?

I've been looking for a 2005 CS with PASM (and preferrably w/o PCM) for a few months now, and...nothing.
I though I'd have a choice of color (white), mileage, etc., but now it appears that I'll be lucky just to come across an air suspended CS at all.
For the price, you'd think more new car buyers would have opted for it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here you go, and it's in your neck of the woods too. It's not white though. But. it does have PCM

ebay ad

I was watching it, if it had a gray int. I would have given it a serious look.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

It's already on my watch list, but for some reason, I'm stuck o white.
Must be a need to balance out the black Carrerra with black wheels...and, oh yea, the black BMW...with black wheels...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

<Shameless plug on>

I have an 04 listed in the classifiedwith PASM and PCM, but it's silver...and a Beta - good news is its cpo through Nov 09.
<shameless plug off>

Good luck with your search - white is a great color for a Cayenne.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

escapes me why so few have pasm. i would not buy one without the option. the dealers never seem to spec out that option up here so if one has it, usually means special order.

strikes me that it may imply the owner looked after it better.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeelToe
I've been looking for a 2005 CS with PASM (and preferrably w/o PCM) for a few months now, and...nothing.
I though I'd have a choice of color (white), mileage, etc., but now it appears that I'll be lucky just to come across an air suspended CS at all.
For the price, you'd think more new car buyers would have opted for it.

It's not cheap, and I think most dealers believe the average person won't see the need for it and won't want to pay for the option, so the dealers don't order their CS's with PASM. I wanted it and got it, but I did a factory order for mine.

It's also rare to see a new Boxster or Carrera with PASM on a dealer's lot for the same reason. I wanted to test drive one before I ordered my 987S last year but couldn't find one anywhere. In the end I just ordered the option anyway.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Renn 951
It's not cheap, and I think most dealers believe the average person won't see the need for it and won't want to pay for the option, so the dealers don't order their CS's with PASM. I wanted it and got it, but I did a factory order for mine.

It's also rare to see a new Boxster or Carrera with PASM on a dealer's lot for the same reason.
+1 spot on.

Honestly, the people who seek the Cayenne or Cayman/boxster typically are not the same 'exact' buyer as 911.

More often then not they're more 'option/price' conscience. Just my observation of how people buy each vehicle.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Also, it is how most of them are used. My wife is the primary drive for the CS and I actually drive it without my son about 1% of the time. So, while I would appreciate PASM + PDCC, I just wouldn't use it enough to be worth it. I suspect most Cayennes out there aren't driven in a manner where this option is justified. They are mostly highway commuters, not backroad weekend cars.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Pauly90266
Instructor

Had the same dilemma and then bought a 2005 CTT. PASM standard and problem solved. Although PCM is standard which is what you don't want.

The price delta between CS and CTT for an '05 is not too great and worthwhile IMHO
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 AM
HeelToe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pauly90266
Had the same dilemma and then bought a 2005 CTT. PASM standard and problem solved. Although PCM is standard which is what you don't want.

The price delta between CS and CTT for an '05 is not too great and worthwhile IMHO
I really wanted to stay in the $40k range, since I have to account for wheels, exhaust and whatever else comes along that seems interesting. That being said, I have started including 04-05 CTTs in my searches, which is precisely why my bank account experiences shrinkage.

The reasons I want PASM are: 1- "must have" option opinions here; 2- 20" or possibly 22" wheels are in its future, for shure, and I imagine ride comfort is better with PASM than with steel springs; and 3- I can replace/modify the links to lower ride height, for aesthetics, and still raise it at any time.

Besides the additional initial cost of the CTT, I would expect higher fuel costs and maintenance as well (dem turbos ain't gonna last forever). And I don't necessarily need another fun-to-drive vehicle.

It took me 9 months to find the "right" 993, seems like this is going to be similar.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As no one chipped in, here is what we found out at the time.

PASM was made standard on the TT and took up most of the early parts kits.

The FACTORY determined how many S models with PASM were shipped to US dealers, I think based again on availability of parts from the TT line, except for special orders of course.

In 03 I remember looking and there was only 3 in the US inventory with PASM, I got one without Bi-Xenon shipped down from NY on a dealer swap.

Late in 04 (05 MY) it ended up being a choice between PASM without Bi-Xenon lights or the lights without the PASM. More were available but the dealers had little choice in what they got. Again the TT parts took priority. I think more people wanted the lights especially as it was cheaper option than PASM.

In 06 it balanced out and more S came with PASM. mostly as the TT glut occured (early buyers all dealt with)

Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 582 Posts

When I ordered mine (now departed '04) it was the first S the local dealer had ever ordered with PASM. Granted it's a small dealership (a Subaru, Pontiac, Mazda dealer...) but I wouldn't have one without it.
I assume that one is CPO'ed which is a good thing as it only has 495 miles left on the original warranty! I liked ours for the most part and my wife loved it, but I wasn't going to keep it past 50K miles
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i don't know if it is price; people will upspend on oem wheels that are more than PASM; but you can aftermarket wheels anytime. try aftermarketing pasm or pdcc?

i suspect it comes down to the somewhat sad possibility that many of the cayenne buyers don't care or for whatever rason are just not informed about the sport part of the cayenne.

Quick Reply: Why so few with PASM?