Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Steering code

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:09 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only thing that works is the stereo...

Apparently the Steering Faulty code happens when the initial communication begins between the key, the gateway, the alarm module, and the steering lock. It throws the fault, and won't let any other system in the car run. The fuel pump doesn't prime either. The second you open the door, you hear "beep... beep" and see the STEERING FAULTY on the dash.

Connecting an OBDII reader will do nothing, it's as if the car is turned off.

When resetting the STEERING FAULTY, the code is stored under [ALARM] [fault code]. I was able to clear the code last night, wanting to be able to drive the car this morning, by resetting the code with the key out of the ignition. If the key had been in the ignition, then once you remove the key, the fault will happen again, even if you didn't drive the car or start the engine.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all sent to Tom at speedometer got it back will post his findings 6 Mths I’m fighting
Old 08-21-2018, 04:29 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Got it starting normally without requiring a reset of the CODE 00288 every time I start the car.

I unplugged the connector for the steering lock under the dash, and plugged it back in. I reset the Steering Faulty code, and the last 6 starts, it has started fine. And i can hear the steering lock when I remove the key, and unlock when the key is inserted and the brake pedal pressed.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:51 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Hi got some feedback. From Tom

Email 1

Kessy (Immobilizer/Steering Lock Control module) appears to be working fine. It unlocks/locks the column lock and turns on the ignition and communicates with the ECU in my test environment. It should start the car. It appears that it does not communicated with the ECU in your car. That could be due to faulty/damaged connector/harness or a bad ECU.

ECU can go bad, but it's not very common.

Kessy did have an "open circuit" Steering Lock fault in it, so it did appear to be a problem at some point. That was most likely what initially immobilized the vehicle. I don't know how hat escalated to the Ecu/communication problem. Could be just a coincidence, but that would be very unlikely. Was the Kessy or ECU removed any point during initial ignition on/lock troubleshooting (over the 6 month period you are going through this)? The ECU communication could be a result of unplugging/re plugging modules. Have you ever removed/unplugged the ECU? If yes, check for possible bent pins on the ECU.

Ignition switch/Key is not the problem.

email 2

Yes, they will need to check the DME (engine computer) and/or the wiring from the Kessy Control Unit to the DME. Specifically, there are two wires for communication (CAN High and CAN Low).

All parts you shipped in are working and communication is OK. Ignition turns on and Kessy sees the DME on my test vehicle (therefore I do not get the DM fault you were getting on your end).

Old 08-25-2018, 06:52 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Any help appreciated
Old 08-28-2018, 04:52 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pkcayenne
Hi got some feedback. From Tom

Email 1

Kessy (Immobilizer/Steering Lock Control module) appears to be working fine. It unlocks/locks the column lock and turns on the ignition and communicates with the ECU in my test environment. It should start the car. It appears that it does not communicated with the ECU in your car. That could be due to faulty/damaged connector/harness or a bad ECU.

ECU can go bad, but it's not very common.

Kessy did have an "open circuit" Steering Lock fault in it, so it did appear to be a problem at some point. That was most likely what initially immobilized the vehicle. I don't know how hat escalated to the Ecu/communication problem. Could be just a coincidence, but that would be very unlikely. Was the Kessy or ECU removed any point during initial ignition on/lock troubleshooting (over the 6 month period you are going through this)? The ECU communication could be a result of unplugging/re plugging modules. Have you ever removed/unplugged the ECU? If yes, check for possible bent pins on the ECU.

Ignition switch/Key is not the problem.

email 2

Yes, they will need to check the DME (engine computer) and/or the wiring from the Kessy Control Unit to the DME. Specifically, there are two wires for communication (CAN High and CAN Low).

All parts you shipped in are working and communication is OK. Ignition turns on and Kessy sees the DME on my test vehicle (therefore I do not get the DM fault you were getting on your end).

So no faults in the modules, the open circuit appears to be intermittent ""open circuit" Steering Lock fault", which sounds similar to the recent problem that I had (above) the electrical connector for the steering lock was bumped loose while driving on a bumpy dirt road. The steering faulty code was set, and kept getting set (each time I reset it) until I unplugged the connector, and plugged it back in... Sounds like you either have bad wiring or a loose connector for the steering lock.

I think I remember you looked at your wiring under the carpet, but I don't remember if you actually re-soldered the splices AND waterproofed them?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:28 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

SO I finally replaced those relays on my steering lock circuit board. Steering locks and unlocks now. I was needing to reset the alarm 0288 code every time I started the car, so I had even bought a cheap $56 8" WIndows 10 tablet, and was using that (actually worked well).
I removed the steering lock de-soldered those 2 relays, replaced them with some of the same from ebay (part number mentioned above). Seems to work fine. My plastic Hall effect sensor bar was not bent or broken. I added a little grease to keep things moving smoothly.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Bizzy2233
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please send his info

Can you please send me his info. I have a Cayenne with Immobilizer active and a steering column that does not lock ever. It has been sitting now for a few months and need to get it out to this Tom asap. Thanks David R. Bizousky

Originally Posted by Johnj1411
So finally the cayenne is alive again
to all who have this issue contact Tom at speedosolutions USA he is a fantastic bloke who knows how to fix this issue at a very reasonable price there is no need to buy a new column he will sort it and it carries a 2 year warranty
Dont make the mistake i made and tried the very incompetent EMD in Sydney they are absolutely clueless rip off merchants who dont give full refunds on there crap work beware

instead use the best Tom at speedosolutions
Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 AM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Default Speed

Hi I would reach out to Tom speed

http://www.speedosolutions.com/
Old 02-14-2019, 02:40 AM
Oscar23
2nd Gear

Default Hi I have the same problem

Originally Posted by Peter Hunt
Awesome writeup, and the pictures really help.

I have experienced the "Steering Faulty" intermittently, and have found something that (for me) gets me out of it:

1. Pull the key from the ignition
2. reach under the steering column and find the connector for the lock. Squeeze the tabs on either side, and pull it out.
3. re-connect the connector (plug it back in)
4. Clear the code. I use a Durametric on the "Alarm" module to clear the 288 error
5. put the key back in the ignition. In my case, all is well and next time you pull the key out you hear the steering lock work.

This has worked for me a couple of times.

For a long term fix I'll likely send the unit to Tom and have it rebuilt - I don't have your mad electronics component level soldering skills .

hey how are you guys I having the same problem since almost a year ago my cayenne is still parked in my house i canot start the cayenne which scanner I can use ?
Old 02-14-2019, 04:25 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oscar23
hey how are you guys I having the same problem since almost a year ago my cayenne is still parked in my house i canot start the cayenne which scanner I can use ?
I used Durametric Enthusiast and a windows 10 tablet or Windows XP laptop to reset my "Steering Faulty" code 0288 under [ALARM] in Durametric, so I could start the car. You do have to hold the brake pedal down to wake up certain modules to get Durametric to communicate with the car, the key does not have to be in the ignition. You can talk to some modules like the KESSY and ALARM.

Then you should be able to insert and turn the key and start the car.

My Steering Faulty has not come back since I replaced the 2 relays above!
Old 02-14-2019, 06:44 PM
Oscar23
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
I used Durametric Enthusiast and a windows 10 tablet or Windows XP laptop to reset my "Steering Faulty" code 0288 under [ALARM] in Durametric, so I could start the car. You do have to hold the brake pedal down to wake up certain modules to get Durametric to communicate with the car, the key does not have to be in the ignition. You can talk to some modules like the KESSY and ALARM.

Then you should be able to insert and turn the key and start the car.

My Steering Faulty has not come back since I replaced the 2 relays above!

Hi thanks for the information the problems is that I canot get durametric do you think I can use another tool or a normal scanner like bluetooth scanner or another one and last question which fuses did you change thank you appreciate it have a good one
Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oscar23
Hi thanks for the information the problems is that I canot get durametric do you think I can use another tool or a normal scanner like bluetooth scanner or another one and last question which fuses did you change thank you appreciate it have a good one
A normal ELM327 Bluetooth scantool will not be able to talk with the alarm module in the car. Those are only for OBDII engine diagnostic codes.

Some people use this https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ble-again.html you can buy the Icarscan X431, which will connect to your phone over bluetooth. This will talk to the other modules.

Or you can use a PIWIS Porsche scantool. Some people use VAGCOM for the VW/AUDI with a change to the pins in the connector I've heard.

I didn't replace fuses, I replaced relays that activate the steering lock motor under the steering column. My relay to lock the wheel, when the key is removed, wouldn't work, so the wheel wouldn't lock. So the Alarm system threw the "Steering Faulty" code. Once I replaced the relays, then it can lock and unlock and the computer is happy.

These are the relays in my posts above
]
Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Vulcan - useful post but the photos will only show for you. We don't have access so we get a nice circle with "-" in the middle. I'd suggest editing the post and uploading the photo(s) here. That way they will always show for that post, even if you discontinue Google image services.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Vulcan - useful post but the photos will only show for you. We don't have access so we get a nice circle with "-" in the middle. I'd suggest editing the post and uploading the photo(s) here. That way they will always show for that post, even if you discontinue Google image services.
This is the only forum that has trouble showing links to google photos...

Quick Reply: Faulty Steering code