Sponsored by:

Advice re purchase of used Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Wunderboy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice re purchase of used Cayenne

To those who have become regular visitors of the Porsche dealer's service department,

I have been reading a ton about all of the experiences that you have all had regarding your Cayenne's growing pains. I really appreciate the feedback and I must admit (after viewing other manufacturers forums on other cars I am looking into) you all seem pretty positive about your car still. Other brand owners don't seem to feel that way.

Anyway, I have been looking at a few Cayennes at my local Porsche dealer and would like some input on which you would buy knowing all the things that you now know.

04 (I know scary) Turbo with 24K nicely loaded with suede liner. Good condition some minor scratches nothing scary. No spare...is this common? CPO $59K
06 S Titanium with 7K nicely loaded....dealer's demo. Non-CPO $59K
08 V6 with 12K nicely loaded. Non-CPO $53K

Dealer is pushing the Turbo...any pushing from a dealer ALWAYS concerns me.

All pricing is what they are asking no dealing yet, however the pricing is in line with Edmund's TMV. I have test drove all and, of course, the most thrilling is the Turbo and it looks nice both in and out. Though, I really don't need the Turbo. The V6 is nice too, but definitely feels and sounds different than the V8's...of course. Wife thinks I should get the 08 but was curious as to your opinions, if any.

Two more things...
Would the dealer be able to pull the service record for any of these vehicles based on the VIN and show them to me? Would this be smart?
I noticed mention on not being able to upgrade the NAV (which these all have) on the 04 models...isn't the upgrade just a new DVD?

Thanks for any honest advice.

Last edited by Wunderboy; 02-09-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wunderboy
To those who have become regular visitors of the Porsche dealer's service department,

I have been reading a ton about all of the experiences that you have all experienced regarding your Cayenne's growing pains. I really appreciate the feedback and I must admit (after viewing other manufacturers forums on other cars I am looking into) you all seem pretty positive about your car still. Other brand owners don't seem to feel that way.

Anyway, I have been looking at a few Cayennes at my local Porsche dealer and would like some input on which you would buy knowing all the things that you know now.

04 (I know scary) Turbo with 24K nicely loaded with suede liner. Good condition some minor scratches nothing scary. No spare...is this common? CPO $59K

All pricing is what they are asking no dealing yet, however the pricing is in line with Edmund's TMV. I have test drove all and, of course, the most thrilling is the Turbo and it looks nice both in and out. Though, I really don't need the Turbo. The V6 is nice too, but definitely feels and sounds different than the V8's...of course. Wife thinks I should get the 08 but was curious as to your opinions, if any.

Two more things...
Would the dealer be able to pull the service record for any of these vehicles based on the VIN and show them to me? Would this be smart?
I noticed mention on not being able to upgrade the NAV (which these all have) on the 04 models...isn't the upgrade just a new DVD?

Nope, on an '04 you are stuck. It is CD, not DVD, and there are no updates available.

On the other note, I would choose the '06 Tit.S if it has good options - PCM, PASM, etc AND you could get it for a a little less than 59k. Others may disagree, but I do not like demos. Some loving owner did not put that 7k miles on. OTOH, it is only 7k miles - it is still practically new
Old 02-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Wunderboy
4th Gear

Only the Turbo has PASM...that option doesn't seem to be very prevalent here in CA. At least in what I have seen via my searches. Would like that option too, but then just more to go wrong. I haven't read anywhere with any manufacturer that the adjustable air suspensions are free from issues.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

I have been reading a ton about all of the experiences that you have all experienced regarding your Cayenne's growing pains. I really appreciate the feedback and I must admit (after viewing other manufacturers forums on other cars I am looking into) you all seem pretty positive about your car still. Other brand owners don't seem to feel that way.

Anyway, I have been looking at a few Cayennes at my local Porsche dealer and would like some input on which you would buy knowing all the things that you know now.

Two more things...

...I would get CayS08 new for MSRP about $63K...

...if not, ONLY then, depending on your "appetite" and YOUR bank account condition, CayTits06 or CayTT04...

For ANY used car CHECK service records at the dealer, they should be able to PROVIDE such info for you on request...

OZRacing
Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM
copasetic222
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The '04 Turbo's way overpriced

They are avaiable, CPO'd in the mid to high $40m's.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Wunderboy
4th Gear

Seems like the consensus is that they are too expensive. Just so everyone knows, these prices seem to be inline with the going rate here in N. California, at least what I have seen on Autotrader. 04 CT lower in price have way more miles on them. If a new S could be had for 63K, that would be an easier decision...just will have to get out and visit more dealers to see if that is even possible.

thanks for the feedback
Old 02-09-2008, 07:41 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like the consensus is that they are too expensive. Just so everyone knows, these prices seem to be inline with the going rate here in N. California, at least what I have seen on Autotrader. 04 CT lower in price have way more miles on them. If a new S could be had for 63K, that would be an easier decision...just will have to get out and visit more dealers to see if that is even possible.

thanks for the feedback
Wunder - also browse cars.com.

Maybe you are in the REAL NorCal (not just the I-80 corridor) where Porsches might be a little more rare. But it might be worth driving a couple of hundred miles if you could save even 5k! That is a lot for a day's effort.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

thanks for the feedback
Wunderboy, I am in the market for a new Turbo or a gently used 2006 CTTS. I have a vehicle in my sights and have dropped the price on my 2004 CS to $36,000. The car still has nearly a year of factory OEM bumper-to-bumper warranty plus two sets of wheels and a bunch of options. The cars is late-2004 build and has only 24,000 miles. See my thread in the member-to-meber classifieds or on this forum.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Wunderboy
4th Gear

Thanks for the offer Statman, but I am not convinced I want an 04 yet.

I do not live in the real N. California and checking on cars.com did open up other opportunities and I don't mind driving to save a few K.

Thanks for all your input...now I just have to get over the fact that my guy friends are saying the Cayenne is a chick car.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

...now I just have to get over the fact that my guy friends are saying the Cayenne is a chick car.
I'm waiting for EW to comment on that one.......
Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

troll
Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I happen to agree with your friends. Cayenne is totally a chick's car
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 989 Posts

OK, so I'm driving the Cayenne and my wife is driving the HUMMER... did we get things backwards?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. You have to switch it around, unless you want to be laughed at by wunderboy's guy friends
Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 989 Posts

Well, we do occasionally switch it around, and she really likes driving the Cayenne. She's the one who picked the H3 though. It's red, with lots of chrome bling. It suits her personality more than mine.

Fortunately for me, I am not concerned about wunderboy's friends...

Quick Reply: Advice re purchase of used Cayenne