Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Move gear lever to park !

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Romantic911
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can't Move gear lever to park !

Yesterday was driving my CS 2005 normally so I went to refuel, at the gas station I tried to move gear lever to park but it didn't want to go I tried to shift to all R, D and M and it moves freely but not park position.
When i reached home i tried with little force and it works
Does anyone knows what could be the problem?

Last edited by Romantic911; 01-25-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Several possibilities....

I would first suggest you refer to the owner's manual, specifically the section regarding manual override of the Tiptronic Park selection solenoid.

When you step on the brake, do you hear a clear 'click' or feel it on the console/shifter?
One possibility was the solenoid was not fully 'retracted', hence you were locked out of reaching park; which is somewhat the opposite of the more typical case where you can't get it out of park.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 PM
uder26
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me on a different car, and it turned out to be the solenoid. The manual does talk about how to get it into park manually, my 08 has a little tool under a little mat in the center console. It was $350 to fix on a Nissan, who knows how much on a Cayenne. Hopefully your not naked.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Romantic911
Advanced

Everythings seem to be normal , I can hear a clear the click sound in the console when i press the brake .. could it be something mechanical or is there is an adjustment?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

This may be a basic question, but did you turn off the car before attempting to put it in park? Occasionally I turn off the car while it's still in drive, because I'm used to my everyday car which is a stickshift- on a stick car, I roll to stop with clutch in, turn car off and set brake and leave in gear- thus sometimes when switching to the cayenne, which is my wife's primary car, I make the mistake....
Old 01-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Romantic911
Advanced

Finally, found it... when i took it to my dealer and they told me i have to change gear roller (black thing that cover gear position) which was buckled and preventing lever go into park... After I open the console trying to replace the roller, guess what I found 1 coin sticking inside and obstructing roller going inside.I replaced the roller and remove the coin.
Story ended thanks
The following users liked this post:
theworkerbee (01-04-2024)
Old 01-29-2008, 11:14 AM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Count yourself lucky. Most P Cars eat money, yours appears to give change.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaptPegLeg:
957E53E39E36 (01-02-2024), Tangerine Dream (01-13-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 07:57 PM
957E53E39E36
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had a penny in my gear selector linkage. Do this before tearing into transmission

Originally Posted by Romantic911
Yesterday was driving my CS 2005 normally so I went to refuel, at the gas station I tried to move gear lever to park but it didn't want to go I tried to shift to all R, D and M and it moves freely but not park position.
When i reached home i tried with little force and it works
Does anyone knows what could be the problem?
My little girl dropped a penny into the transmission selector lever's cover it got caught up in the part just below the lights.... You must remove the trim surround ring and cup holder piece to expose the layers that make up the interior part of the trans selector lever linkage cover and gear position indicator lamps. with This is the area that would be a shift **** Gaiter. But she slid a penny in towards front of car(direction of PCM) so naturally I put my 957 GTS in gear to to go get the mommy pig from and work and daddy pig about filled the pig pen when the 957 wouldn't go into park. Very calmly I asked my daughter if she dropped a penny in the

So, very carefully I removed shiftknob, trim, cupholder. Then the selector indicator lamp module is about three layers thick of plastic tabbed housings.
Gained access to the retractable dust cover and removed it, then shook it. Sure enough! There sat steel stamped copper plated portrait of honest Abe staring back at me. Took some finagling around but finally got the penny out. No more issues!!

The bidirectional retractable dust cover is in there near the 3rd or fourth layer. But sure enough where the dust cover retracts is a money for spare coins. And will impede the vehicle from going in and out of park and even over to manual.

Beware you must use finesse, Please advise!! Attempt at own risk. Reference the Internet for or some video hosting site on how to remove these layers very gingerly and methodically. Good 🤞 I had read forum after forum with people changing dowels, pins, bushings etc for gear box. But this cured my GTS.

Last edited by 957E53E39E36; 01-02-2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:27 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 197 Likes on 141 Posts

our 2006 S does the same thing, we just got used to bumping it to go into park and are living with it

Quick Reply: Can't Move gear lever to park !