Sponsored by:

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty Question

Say I was going to get a remand motor and I still had about 6 months left on my original factory warranty. Would I get some sort of warranty with the remand motor for 2 years or so, or would I just get the remainder of my original factory warranty.

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2008, 09:15 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Wouldn't it be best to ask the dealer installing the motor??
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Veninger
Wouldn't it be best to ask the dealer installing the motor??
Your right, and I did. Just looking for some insight to see if there is any negotiating room.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 AM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got a reman transmission for a Boxster and there was a two year warranty with it. I think that is so with all P reman.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:54 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Curious...... Why do you need a new engine?

Is this for the Cayenne? If so, what happened?

2005 CS owners want to know!
Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scott C
Curious...... Why do you need a new engine?

Is this for the Cayenne? If so, what happened?

2005 CS owners want to know!
Yes it's my 05 CS. I started to use 1.5 qts of oil in about 700 miles and blowing smoke at startup. My vin also fit into the TSB for the oil scavenger rings being installed upside down. Finally had a leak down, compression test and Cyl 4 was an issue. 20 % down. They got a bore scope and saw lots of scrapes and damage to the cyl 4. Also, the plug was oily. I had the coils replaced too.

My issue with the reman is that it may have the old coils that will have to be replaced.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:50 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Yes it's my 05 CS. I started to use 1.5 qts of oil in about 700 miles and blowing smoke at startup. My vin also fit into the TSB for the oil scavenger rings being installed upside down. Finally had a leak down, compression test and Cyl 4 was an issue. 20 % down. They got a bore scope and saw lots of scrapes and damage to the cyl 4. Also, the plug was oily. I had the coils replaced too.

My issue with the reman is that it may have the old coils that will have to be replaced.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check my VIN against the TSB and cross fingers.

The warranty on the engine will apply irrespective of the vehicle warranty. It should also be for the entire assembly so if the coils need to be replaced later they should be covered.

HTH,
Scott
Old 01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will get a 2 year warranty, and you can ask the tech to double check the PN of the coils and if you indeed get old ones he can swap them from old motor to new.

Mark
Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 AM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

...Would I get some sort of warranty with the remand motor for 2 years or so...
yes

... or would I just get the remainder of my original factory warranty.
no

DEALER installed "labor&parts" carries ITS own warranty INDEPENDENT and INTO ADDITION to regular 4y/50mi car warranty. Every part, installed by the dealer carries it's own ADDITIONAL warranty, which may EXTEND specific part warranty BEYOND standard 4y/50mi...

OZRacing
Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Robin @ Farnbacher
Site Sponsor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the reman engine is installed and paid for under the original vehicle factory warranty, then the warranty on that engne would last until the expiraton of the factory warranty.
If , alternatively, the engine were installed and paid for by the customer, it would carry the full 2 yr parts & labor warranty if installed at a factory authorized dealer.

In other words, if Porsche warranty buys you an engine 2 months before the factory warranty runs out, then all you are guaranteed is the 2 months remaining on the factory warranty.
Exceptions can and have been granted in the interest of goodwill and in recognition of customer loyalty, but that is no guarantee.
I hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply: Warranty Question