Sponsored by:

Looking at an '05 Pepper S

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking at an '05 Pepper S

My wife wants me to trade our '05 Sequoia for a Cayenne...
As this car would not be a DD (I use a '97 m3 for that) so getting a low mileage one is not a big concern for me.

Just doing an initial search turned up a '05 S w/ 59k mi. that is a CPO under warr. 'til sometime in '11 and I doubt I'll put another 40k mi. on it by then. From previous postings I think it would be best to get a '04 or newer and as I understand having a warranty is critical with these things.

My questions are how difficult/expensive is it to get a (worthwhile) extended warr. on a non-CPO (in case I should go w/ a private party car)? Are there any worth looking at?
I occasionally tow an open car trailer (w/ car, apx 5k lbs total), do I need the "S" or would the 6 cyl tow ok? (anything would be better than the Sequoia for towing!).
What is the real world mileage between the 6 cyl & S?

I'm seeing alot of these cars as "internet specials", prices appear to be coming down. Is there a reason for this?

I'm going to continue perusing the forum but I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FORE!!!!

in order of questions,

impossible (que 5-0 theme)
no

buhahahhahahahhahaahhahahahhahah, does the sequoia need mag lites taped to the fenders?

don't know about the v-6, but the S gets about 14-15 in real world driving.

yep, the cars coming off of warranty are MUCH less desirable, causing a drag on the pricing.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

CPO is HIGHLY recommended, but of course not required. Also keep in mind that a CPO is NOT the same as a bumper to bumper 4/50 OEM warranty.

The Cayenne prices are 'low' simply due to supply (produced in quite large numbers...read PAG sales numbers) and demand (gas prices, potential reliability/warranty concerns). It simply is what it is.

Yes, you can tow with a V6, but as in the case of a V8, you will likely find that 6th gear is useless (unless completely flat roads), so 'manual' Tiptronic mode is best used. Milage will be 9-11mpg towing. There are many forum members who still tow with a Cayenne (skl for one), Larry did, but he's dead (R.I.P. )

Running costs are a bit higher than other SUV's, tires every 15k miles (varies), especially if towing, brake pads are dusty and wear (although there are some non OEM alternatives now), etc.

Just about anything you ever wanted to know (and somethings you probably wished you didn't) about the Cayenne can be found by simply peforming a "Search" of the forum.
If you don't "Search The F&^%)_Ng Forum", please prepare to be admonished by the official forum bartender, MadFox. Also, don't mention "Hawaii" to him.

You should have little problem finding your vehicle (color and options) in a CPO on the Porsche Certified Pre Owned Seach section of their website.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
CPO is HIGHLY recommended, but of course not required. Also keep in mind that a CPO is NOT the same as a bumper to bumper 4/50 OEM warranty.

The Cayenne prices are 'low' simply due to supply (produced in quite large numbers...read PAG sales numbers) and demand (gas prices, potential reliability/warranty concerns). It simply is what it is.

Yes, you can tow with a V6, but as in the case of a V8, you will likely find that 6th gear is useless (unless completely flat roads), so 'manual' Tiptronic mode is best used. Milage will be 9-11mpg towing. There are many forum members who still tow with a Cayenne (skl for one), Larry did, but he's dead (R.I.P. )

Running costs are a bit higher than other SUV's, tires every 15k miles (varies), especially if towing, brake pads are dusty and wear (although there are some non OEM alternatives now), etc.

Just about anything you ever wanted to know (and somethings you probably wished you didn't) about the Cayenne can be found by simply peforming a "Search" of the forum.
If you don't "Search The F&^%)_Ng Forum", please prepare to be admonished by the official forum bartender, MadFox. Also, don't mention "Hawaii" to him.

You should have little problem finding your vehicle (color and options) in a CPO on the Porsche Certified Pre Owned Seach section of their website.

Good luck in your search.
First, yes, I've been on RL for a few years and we in the 993 forum (myself included) frequently remind others to use the search feature. I'm continuing to search thru the forum for all these answers.

As for the mileage question, I'm not so much concerned with towing mileage as I am real world regular driving mileage of the V6 vs V8. That is, if the V8 gets 14 - 15 but the V6 only gets 15 - 16 then it's a no-brainer for me to get the "more power", but if the V8 gets 14 - 15 but the V6 gets 19-20 then I would look more closely at the V6. I'm probably asking how much mileage would I "lose" by going w/ the "S"?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

IIRC, the window sticker differences between the 2 is about 1-2 mpg (city/highway).....not a big deal and not a big surprise on a 5000# plus vehicle.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Have you considered a V10 TDI Touareg?
Same basic vehicle/unibody/electronics, much better mileage (and hence range) along with much better towing (torque).
Old 02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

If only 1-2 mpg diff. (real world?) then I would go w/ the S.

Is there a reliability difference between the V6 and the V8?

still searching too......
Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
Have you considered a V10 TDI Touareg?
Same basic vehicle/unibody/electronics, much better mileage (and hence range) along with much better towing (torque).
Thanks no, it's more than I want to pay for a non-primary vehicle. Rather add a 993 coupe to the fleet!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993BillW
If only 1-2 mpg diff. (real world?) then I would go w/ the S.

Is there a reliability difference between the V6 and the V8?

still searching too......
Minor differences between the Cayenne and the Cayenne S
Audi V6 with a Porsche designed intake vs Zuffenhausen V8
17" wheels vs 18" wheels
Minor differences in trim.

However, the Cayenne was not sold in the US in numbers as large as the S (and had a later introduction), so it's a bit harder finding a Cayenne vs an S.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If you are a member of Loren's site, you can take a look at the V6 TSB's vs the V8 TSB's .... nothing really.

The Cayenne (V8 excluded) is primarily a VAG produced product (unibody, electronics, labor, etc)....around 65%/85% VAG labor/content.....so the Cayenne and the Cayenne S have about the same reliability DNA.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Thanks no, it's more than I want to pay for a non-primary vehicle. Rather add a 993 coupe to the fleet!
Understood.

I just bought my wife a 993 Targa Tiptronic (sort of in between a coupe and cabrio):

Old 02-01-2008, 01:14 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a PPI. Check the VIN against the TSB where they installed the oil scavenger rings upside down. Extended warranty is a must.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:20 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Understood.

I just bought my wife a 993 Targa Tiptronic (sort of in between a coupe and cabrio):
Looks nice Lewis. Very striking. Not sure about that tranny, though!

Just curious - how much trouble were you in? Usually flowers is enough.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Get a PPI. Check the VIN against the TSB where they installed the oil scavenger rings upside down. Extended warranty is a must.
I've been thinking about this and who would you get other than the dealer to do a PPI on a Pepper? I don't think a lot of shops that regularly work on a 993/996 see that many Peppers, is this a correct assumption?

Since the car I'm looking at right now is a CPO (and I plan to ask for records) at a dealer I'm a LITTLE less worried. I'm just not sure who can do a through/worthwile PPI on these?

Suggestions in Louisville, KY (I'm near Nashville)?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:20 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

993BillW,

I have my Cayenne S with nearly one year of factory OEM bumper-to-bumper warranty left. I am here in Wisconsin about 2.5 hrs north of Chicago. My Cayenne is on eBay (asking $39,900 OBO):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...203650805&rd=1

and is listed in the member-to-member classifieds here on Rennlist.

Would love to see my baby go to fellow Rennlister

Quick Reply: Looking at an '05 Pepper S