Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport Supercharged VS Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover Sport Supercharged VS Cayenne GTS

So this looks like an interesting match up. What do you guys think? Which vehicle is better on road and off road and please give your OPINIONS and pros and cons. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Well, I think RR's are the one truck that might actually give Cayennes a run for their money in terms of problems. Without exception, I cannot think of a single person who has one, who hasn't had major issues with their RR. Like I always say, despite the little issues with the Cayenne, its never left me stranded (pushing my luck there). Further, if you care about such things, I was noticing in the paper the absolutely massive depreciation that RR's have, seems like it could be worse then the Cayenne.

If I had to pick, it would be the GTS hands down.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RR is the most beautiful SUV out there. But that beautiful SUV is a huge BUS.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

None of my friends have ever purchased a second RR.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

In my very limited experience driving a RRS SC (an autocross comparing the RR, MB, BMW, and the 3 Cayenne models), it felt like I was in a Crown Victoria due to the amount of body roll.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

So the Range rover`s dynamic response isn`t good enough to hold on to Porsche`s PDCC or even a GTS without PDCC?

I think the GTS wil also look better thna the RRS SC especially with those hugs *** 21 inchers and 295 that is so huge.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by cbryce
So this looks like an interesting match up. What do you guys think? Which vehicle is better on road and off road and please give your OPINIONS and pros and cons. Thank you.
I would think that if you need off road capability, then the Cayenne GTS may not be the best choice of Cayennes. Isn't it really designed more for the street? Maybe a Cayenne Turbo would be better...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

I`m good with the GTS. With the little bit of snow we have around the DC area 8 inches for the max should be good for the GTS. It has the air suspension so I cna always raise the suspension to clear soemthing if I needed. Not so?
I do understand what your saying though but I wont let that hold me back.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I think you will slide in the snow with '21's and sport tires.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:47 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

Tha`ts what the salesguy told me so what about if I get the Pirelli Sporion snow and ice on the same size? Would that help so I don`t have to change those bloody lovely wheels
Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The Range Rover has a nicer interior. Everything else in favor of the Cayenne.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
RR is the most beautiful SUV out there. But that beautiful SUV is a huge BUS.
x2. rr handles great in a straight line (wow)... for curves: i wouldn't want one.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

I test drove a RR, Infiniti FX45 and the CS (which I obviously now own).

My break down between the three goes something lie this:

RR

Pros:
Love the styling and look. Has some cool amenities (many are standard, whereas Porsche charges you and arm and a leg for each and every one you want). Felt actually a little more roomier inside. Definitely liked the cooler under the arm console option! An amazing turn radius.

Cons:

Felt VERY top heavy, I even noticed it more (and damn near had to check my shorts after the test drive) when while on the 15 South freeway, the sales person (who was an older guy, very nice and seemed to have excellent product knowledge of the RR brand)...but he told me to go for it! Put it through its paces....so I did And when at around 90MPH I did a little "emergency lane change" maneuver, umm....scary is all I can say. The top heaviness became very apparent. Also I was not too impressed with the acceleration at all.

The Cayenne S

Pros:

Loved the styling the best! The handling blew me away! I had to repeatedly ask myself over and over again "Am I really driving an SUV here or......" And the acceleration, and I didn't even play with the tiptronic mode until like a month after owning because I was just slowly taking my time learning how things work on it etc... But the acceleration was awesome starting off in D2 and going through the "regular" shift points. THEN....I discovered driving in Tip-Tronic mode only and holy smokes what a difference!! I know a lot of people knock the interior styling of the Cayenne, but for me (I have the everything wrapped in leather option I guess?) but I LOVE IT also!

Cons:

Yea I have the Beta bugs But they so far <fingers crossed> have only been somewhat minor and have never stranded me, and have now since been "fixed" (pencil coils, transmission ECU replaced/reflashed). My tires still look good, but I bought my CS used and it had 17k miles on the clock 6 months ago. So I am not sure if they had been replaced by the previous owner or ??? So I don't know about that one yet, same with the brakes...so far so good.

The Infiniti FX45

Since that is not one that is even being asked about here...I will not comment on that one except I will just say that if I were to add a 2nd SUV/Crossover/whatever the hell they are calling these things today....THAT WOULD BE ONE OF THEM! Without a doubt. Infiniti knows technology, and they PACK IT IN on their vehicles (prior 2004 Infiniti G35 Couple owner talking here). But the bells and whistles on those things are simply amazing! It was damn near a tie between the Cayenne and the FX45 with me. And to be completely honest with you...I chose the Cayenne so I could finally own myself a Porsche (and then I learn from the many die hard Porsche owners that they do not even consider the Cayenne a "real Porsche" )

Old 12-04-2007, 07:47 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nexus 6
I chose the Cayenne so I could finally own myself a Porsche (and then I learn from the many die hard Porsche owners that they do not even consider the Cayenne a "real Porsche" )

Simple solution-- Trade in that Infiniti 350 Z and pick yourself up a 911.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There is really no match up......

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport Supercharged VS Cayenne GTS