Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Sport Supercharged VS Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the RRS is a great machine; the dynamic is pretty good but the truck does overpower it a bit. i have an 06 LR3 V8 and it has not had one issue in 27k km.

the upright Land Rover seats/postion is simply a fantastic ergonomic; very different then the Cayenne. my spouse complains about the green foot print of the LR3 but after coming in from using it, loves the machine. we got a foot of snow over the last few days, that machine is awsome.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbryce
Tha`ts what the salesguy told me so what about if I get the Pirelli Sporion snow and ice on the same size? Would that help so I don`t have to change those bloody lovely wheels

I suspect that would help, but i have no experience with them in that size
Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

I thought the Cayenne GTS was RWD. Is it available in AWD? I wouldn't want to drive it in the snow with RWD only...
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rome
Simple solution-- Trade in that Infiniti 350 Z and pick yourself up a 911.
All in due time my friend...all in due time
Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

It;s only an AWD no RWD for the GTS.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Current ('07 or later) Rangie (supercharged or not) is a better off-roader, more presitgious than the "they all look the same" Cayenne and generally a more rewarding thing to find in the driveway. It's weaknesses are the hit-and-miss quality and the depreciation curve that makes a Cayenne look like money in the bank. : )

The current Rangie has dramatically improved on-road manners and uses a combination of sways and active cross-damping in the air suspension to create flat cornering and controlled weight transfer. It's far too heavy (so is the Cayenne) but it disguises all that heft with the technology.

Off-road, the Rangie is smooth and unflustered while the Cayenne is more vigorous and less cultivated.

Both cars a bit small for me, so my next truck will be a Merc GL, but if I were to replace my '05 Cayenne with an '07 or later, I'd consider the Rangie before a Cayenne or ML. For that matter, if I didn't need the luggage space and the second row leg room, I'd go with an LR3 especially since it's so good off-road and in the current model drives very nicely on-road (nothing compared to the Cayenne, but great for an SUV.)

I'm looking forward to the GL, but I'm sure I'll kick myself when I stamp on the loud pedal and find the 520hp of the Cayenne is no longer there to answer the call. So it goes.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
. my spouse complains about the green foot print of the LR3 but after coming in from using it,
You must have a lot of green mud up by you if it's leaving a footprint like that...I hear the turbo S leaves black footprints when floored with the traction control off
Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Both cars a bit small for me, so my next truck will be a Merc GL, but if I were to replace my '05 Cayenne with an '07 or later, I'd consider the Rangie before a Cayenne or ML. For that matter, if I didn't need the luggage space and the second row leg room, I'd go with an LR3 especially since it's so good off-road and in the current model drives very nicely on-road (nothing compared to the Cayenne, but great for an SUV.)
the middle row seats in the LR3 are pretty good; much better then the sport. as well the 3rd row are even better then the middle. i am 6 feet and can sit there, although getting to them is a pain. as well when the 3rd's are down the back affords a lot of storage.

it really is a killer vehicle that is underated.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 AM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I am so happy that I traded my '04 Cayenne S for an '07 RR HSE (not the sport, not the supercharged) in April of this year.

Nicest vehicle I have driven. When I need a high-performance fix, it's the '07 C2S.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo
I am so happy that I traded my '04 Cayenne S for an '07 RR HSE (not the sport, not the supercharged) in April of this year.

Nicest vehicle I have driven. When I need a high-performance fix, it's the '07 C2S.
Stay tuned (no pun intended).. I'd like to hear your honest judgement after a winter and a few years of famous Land Rover quality (yes, I said that but I have an '06).. I did look at all the variants of Land Rover.. and made the opposite decision because of a great dealer (although the group owns a Land Rover dealership too). To each his own.. but drive them all and make up your mind on YOUR opinion not the opinions of others.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andrew911
You must have a lot of green mud up by you if it's leaving a footprint like that...I hear the turbo S leaves black footprints when floored with the traction control off
Nice
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
cbryce
Intermediate

Come on guys... No more reviews of both trucks?

Which would be the better handler between the Sport Supercharged and the Cayenne GTS?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Stone43
Racer

I drove both the RR and Cayenne as well as the dealer in San Diego owns both.

RR-- Great styling, lower profile than earlier models, fantastic interior great acceleration. However I did notice the handling to be a bit "looser" than the Cayenne. I took it through some aggressive curves and it felt good, however (skipping below to the Cayenne).

Cayenne: You must realize the circumstances I was under at the time. I had an 02 911 cab that I dearly loved. Then wife told me kid number 2 was on the way. He was soon born and then I bought that bloody $400 Porsche baby seat, thinking that I could actually pull off keeping the 911. After a few frustrating weeks, I came the realization that the 911 is not a family car, no matter what I tried. : ( Anyhow, I went to the dealer, head bowed with keys in hand and told my salesguy (who was grinning ear to ear) that I need to test drive a Cayenne. The first one was a brand new 06 (non S) and after about 2 minutes I told him NFW, I am taking my 911 back home.

He then pursuaded me to drive an 04 S that he had on the lot. It was the right color combo, had the 8 cyl, so I said why not. He then said we were going to drive this thing like it should be driven. We put it through the paces and the handling was substantially better. One other thing that I noticed was that the cockpit felt very "Porsche" like as I felt somehow better connected to the vehicle. Perhaps that is why the handling was what it was. We then did something that you normally never do, we went off road over some (fairly tame) but sandy hills. The traction, ground clearance and general feeling of "I could probably take this thing anywhere" pretty much sold me on the vehicle. The only gripe I have is that damn hesitation when it comes to the acceleration. I HATE that! Of course one way to eliminate that is to simply engage the Tiptronic (that is why it is both on the steering wheel and on the stick) and then go eat some $3.50 per gallon gas.

Now, fast forward to today...I still really like the RR's looks and really liked the interior. I feel as if the Porsche interior is quite sparse, but having owned a few P-cars, that has always been the case. I guess you have to do the old "T" chart and figure out what is most important to you and what kind of driving you do on a regular basis.

Not sure if that helps, but take many mental notes and try to drive both of them on the same day. I was fortunate as I was able to do this as well as drive the same course so I had an apples to apples comparison.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
cbryce
Intermediate

That sounds like an honest answer but the 04 Cayenne`s are different to the 08 in terms of performance and handling and I do agree with you wit hthe interior of the Cayenne.

That was the first thing I said, I didn`t liek the basic set up. There were some other models liek the Turbo`s interior that I like but it would cost too much in options. I just really want performance, a good handler around the corners without too much body lean and I don`t mean with the PDCC option, and a good looking truck that`s reliable so the GTS which is totally different from the 04 or 08 S would be my choice it seems.
MY friend has a Supercharged Sport and it feels prety good until he let me drive it one day and I took it around some corners and had to get use to the feeling because it didn`t feel the way I expected it to feel around like lets say a 75 degree corner and I~m sure the Cayenne seeign that it is a little lower will handle better. Besides the GTS will and is faster than the SPort or RR supercharged. The truck is simply too heavy it seems weighing in at 5,700 lbs.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:48 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Range rover is a turtle....compared to a regular CS.. let alone a GTS..

But I love the looks on the new RR..

Quick Reply: Range Rover Sport Supercharged VS Cayenne GTS