iPod Interface (hardware/software) that works with PCM

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

10,000+ posts, thousands of PM's......that's nothing compared to all the death threats......gives me a reason to get out of bed every morning, right after they undo the straps.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
erikv
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Tal
After my discussion with the President of MoBridge, I doubt a Group Buy will become public. He doesn't want to anger the dealer network. However, if you call him and tell him you are a Rennlist Member and give him your screen name, you will be happy to find a reasonable discount from the $599.

Mine arrives tommorrow.
thanks for the response, I will call them. Do you recommend I contact them at the Redondo Beach office? Who should I ask for?

thanks,

-erik
Old 11-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Captain Tal
Advanced

Scott Nelson
President
Mobridge Company
(773) 255-4273
Old 11-30-2007, 04:32 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
10,000+ posts, thousands of PM's......that's nothing compared to all the death threats......gives me a reason to get out of bed every morning, right after they undo the straps.
PM's.. didn't know your account had that.... and death threats? Peter or Dr. W or both?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:16 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

I installed my MoBridge today. Love it! I have an 08 Cayenne S with no CDC. Did the rear install. I had a few issues with the install, but all pilot error and too many beer errors. 1. The car has two harnesses as described in earlier strings, one is fiber optics (two big orange wires). The other a power harness with ground and one other wire. I took apart the whole optic harness then tried to figure out how to make a bridge. Wrong! I just needed to take the cover off and simply plug it in. Two beers down on that one.2. I tried to figure out a way to get around just cutting the power and ground wires right behind the clip and just leave the third wire in the clip. Didn't work, so I just cut them and spliced the power and ground there.3. I finally just used one of their included blue clips and joined the power wire for the bypass switch and the power wire for the unit at the bottom of the harness, it worked out well and left me lots of wire to wrap up.4. I velco'ed the unit right where the CDC would go, actually to the top of the bracket that was already in there in case you put in a CDC. Fits perfect, there was room right under it for foam to hold it and a place for the bypass switch.5. It works fine, but I'm still trying to figure out the user interface mouse like entry method.Thanks Mud and Mad for being crash test dummies on this one.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats ! it will take a short while to get the hang of it, after that your flying. In the meantime the sound is just magical.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 PM
kc.beach
Intermediate

Default Sirius Aux Input Background Noise

Originally Posted by mudman2
Congrats ! it will take a short while to get the hang of it, after that your flying. In the meantime the sound is just magical.
Mudman2,
I just completed the install and tested out my Sirius unit through the aux input.
I noticed some background noise. It is present when I turn the Sirius unit off and when I bring the audio down to nothing on the Sirius unit.
Audio from the Sirius masks it by 98% but you can really hear it when changing channels.
No noise at all when I swtch back to FM so I think it may be an issue with the aux part of the Mobridge unit or I may have messed up the install.
Do you have any background noise on your unit with the aux?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Harry madan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kc.beach
Mudman2,
I just completed the install and tested out my Sirius unit through the aux input.
I noticed some background noise. It is present when I turn the Sirius unit off and when I bring the audio down to nothing on the Sirius unit.
Audio from the Sirius masks it by 98% but you can really hear it when changing channels.
No noise at all when I swtch back to FM so I think it may be an issue with the aux part of the Mobridge unit or I may have messed up the install.
Do you have any background noise on your unit with the aux?
just a thought, i use to have the same problem with the aux cable in my benz, but then i up graded the wire used for the aux cable to "Monster cable" it is double laired and really well insulated. so it cuts back all excess noise. i think that should work in ur situation. + when u use the Aux cable from ur head phone jack to the unit, u are double amplifying & the sound increasing ur chance for static. so if u keep the volume on the mp3 player or sirius radio at a mid point it will also reduce the static. if u are plugging into ur sirus radio through the head phone jack. then only will this options help.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Old 12-02-2007, 12:01 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

On my first try wiring behind the dash I ended up with some speed dependant noise on the aux input. I re routed the signal and power cables and its gone or so low I dont hear it anymore.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
kc.beach
Intermediate

Smile

On my first try wiring behind the dash I ended up with some speed dependant noise on the aux input. I re routed the signal and power cables and its gone or so low I dont hear it anymore.
Thanks for the help. It is at a very low level but still present. This is in aux input only - the ipod sound is perfect so I'm assuming I didn't damage any fiber during the install. When the Sirius is powered off it still exists when in aux mode. However, if I unhook the power hook-up to the sirius it disappears immediatley and then comes back as soon as I plug the power back in (this is with the sirius turned off). I'll relay this info to Mobridge and post the response.

Here are my thoughts so far (after one day):
1) This unit is worth the money. The sound from the ipod is perfect. The Sirius through the aux is almost perfect. The interface through the PCM is terrific compared to what I had with the CDC.
2) The hook up is simple. Full instructions were emailed to me from Mobridge. It did take a few re-reads to figure out that all I had to do was install the two lines into the supplied adapter and then directly into the CDC hook-up. More detailed instructions and pictures are needed for this.
3) The work involved to remove the rear panels and CDC was difficult. I would advise use of a professional due to the removal difficulty if placing the unit in the right rear compartment in vehicles with a CDC. It appears to me that vehicles without the CDC would be simple to install in the right rear compartment (less than 30 minutes).
Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

So, perhaps 24bits isn't enough?
You didn't damage your fiber BTW, although you may not have enough fiber in your diet, but that's a different topic.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

When I hooked up my XM receiver to the aux port to the head unit in my 944, I had to add a ground loop isolator to get rid of the hum/buzz. You can find one at Radio Shack (no affiliation).

It may be an apples-to-oranges comparison between a Cayenne and a 944 (although I did uncover an Audi/VW logo stamped into one of the 944's body panels), but it might be the same thing. I'm not an electrical engineer, either - I just searched other forums to find out what others did.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

So long as you replace the Bose amp you can remove the CDR23 but you may have to get the dealer to turn off MOST to eliminate any errors.
If you do that can you use the BOSE speakers or do they need to be replaced as well?

Thanks, Humping Dog
Old 12-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Captain Tal
Advanced

I also installed my MoBridge unit this weekend. Did a forward install which is not for feint of heart. I had a slight problem when I connected a fiber cable incorrectly and couldn't get the unit to work. After a about an hour I figured it out and it works great.

A rear install would be MUCH easier so if you don't need access to the iPod I recommend a rear install.

I haven't had much time to orient myself with the operation but the sound is teriffic.

Quick Reply: iPod Interface (hardware/software) that works with PCM