Auxiliary Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Auxiliary Battery?

Hi gang -

Not having purchased my CS new, I am wondering about the purpose and the popularity of the auxiliary battery option. I checked my "rear" and saw what seems to be an auxiliary underneath my subwoofer.

Seems to be a good thing, as opposed to a compact spare (since there are always flatbeds available). Why did people go for this option and what is the supposed purpose?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It was a prophylactic, designed in by PAG, since there was sufficient doubt regarding dark (quiescent) current in all the electronics (some vendors could not meet the specifications) such that the vehicle may be dead after being parked for only 7 days....hence an AUX battery (isolated) was installed to prevent this from happening.

It was deemed unnecessary and was removed from the configuration and options list. Vehicles that have this option are quite desirable.

Or at least that's what I read on the internet.....I would have no way of knowing about any of this stuff.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
It was a prophylactic, designed in by PAG, since there was sufficient doubt regarding dark (quiescent) current in all the electronics (some vendors could not meet the specifications) such that the vehicle may be dead after being parked for only 7 days....hence an AUX battery (isolated) was installed to prevent this from happening.

It was deemed unnecessary and was removed from the configuration and options list. Vehicles that have this option are quite desirable.

Or at least that's what I read on the internet.....I would have no way of knowing about any of this stuff.

L, that seems logical. My '04 was sort of early in the run. So at least I have SOMETHING to offset the other negatives.

I have one of those Cayenne "coolers" that plugs into a 12V outlet, so maybe I'll have an extra hour of cold, uhhh, soft drinks or bottled water at the old tailgate operation.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, there are not "always flat-beds available" where I drive my truck, so I'd much rather have a spare - but I digress.

ltc, oh electronics guru, do you think an auxiliary battery would pose a shock hazard to the cute little coy that I now have swimming happily in THAT BIG, STUPID VOID WHERE A PROPER SPARE TIRE OUGHT TO BE?

Sorry, digressed again.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Electronics guru? Who, me? What makes you think that?

I either make all this **** up or just read it on the internet. None of it is true, but remember: "A One Eyed Man is a Leader in the Valley of the Blind".

BTW, my official title is 'Supreme Technical Dictator for Life'.

BTW2, you can buy a spare tire for your Cayenne.....it's large, external, needs a new bumper, costs about $5K to install.....oh wait, we've already discussed this before, haven't we?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Seems to be a good thing, as opposed to a compact spare (since there are always flatbeds available). Why did people go for this option and what is the supposed purpose?
You can remove your subwoofer and put in the compact spare over the battery.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

ltc is correct about the early Cayenne battery, I had the 03 with dual batteries and if I left it sit for 8-9 days, I would find that the primary battery would not start the car, turned the key to the left, held for a couple of seconds and the second battery would fire it right up. Not sure how much more that little idea costed me but it did save my mobility on more than a couple of ocassions. My 08 CTT has one battery, but the spare and the subwoofer does fit under the rear deck. I have had the new one sit for more than 3 weeks without a trickle charger and have had no issues. If I leave my 03 C4 Cab for more than 5 days without a trickle charger the battery will not start the car.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cay-ute
ltc is correct about the early Cayenne battery, .....
Wow, really? You mean I didn't just make it up? I guess it IS better to be lucky than good.

Still chuckle when people second guess me about these things

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Battery?