A Cayenne Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 PM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by HD2pct
...35.5 miles from home, I am on a right hand sweeper on the interstate (I-294 for you midwesterners), and BOOM, at 85 mph - I lose it. Why? I mean, for one second, I thought it was black ice. But it is 60 degrees out!

So - bottom line, my left rear tire has exploded. PSM saves my pink rear before I can fully process what is going on. I pull to the shoulder across 5 lanes of traffic.

[Thank you, Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, for personally overseeing the design of the Cayenne, so as to live up to the tradition of fine Porsche sports cars]

NOTE: what is in brackets is for Lewis and the like, to drive them out of their gourds...

Moral of the story? Who knows.

Don't run over stuff.
When the game is over, tailgate for 2 hours, max.
Do NOT turn PSM off.
...probably, your tire had a previous hidden damage (sidewall started to break or slow leak, nail in the tire...etc), which just manifested at your above trip and tire finally died.

...how many miles on the tire?...

Get Pirelli or Michelin for better overall and specifically sidewall strength/quality...I use Pirelli ONLY for superior traction,...

PIRELLISTI!!!

OZRacing
Attached Images  

Last edited by ozr; 10-29-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 PM
sigs
Racer

HD2pct,

Thanks for posting and glad you came through safely. BTW, some of us appreciate a little sideswipe at Lewis (or any of the rest of us) when it's intended in fun. Not that any of us NEED our Cayenne adrenals squeezed any more than they already are, but what the heck, the results are often some of our more entertaining posts.

Speaking of Lewis or any of our other more knowledgeable (that's a pretty low bar, when I'm the one asking the question) members - I was under the impression that, even with PSM off, the system would kick in during such a dramatic event and probably save HD2pct's bacon, anyway. I've only played with this on an icy parking lot used as a makeshift skid pad, but it seemed to kick in before things got completely wacky and seemed to take over quite a bit of control until both nose and tail were properly oriented. It seemed to intervene quicker and more forcefully at higher speeds, while letting me swap ends more liberally at slow speeds.

I have taken to driving more and more in heavy traffic with PSM off, as I'm getting even too lazy to Tip my way through every lane change, but I may have to rethink that approach.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ozr
...probably, your tire had a previous hidden damage (sidewall started to break or slow leak, nail in the tire...etc), which just manifested at your above trip and tire finally died.

...how many miles on the tire?...

Get Pirelli or Michelin for better overall and specifically sidewall strength/quality...I use Pirelli ONLY for superior traction,...

PIRELLISTI!!!

OZRacing
I had maybe 3k on the tires.

Oh yeah, I know I stressed them - I may have been running with a totally flat tire for a mile or more at 85mph, give or take a little. I do appreciate the fact that the stiff sidewall spared my wheel - there was like 2" of sidewall left, and it never allowed the rim to touch pavement - even when temporarily sideways.

I can't match that destroyed tire, and I like all my tires to match, so a set of Michelins is going on tomorrow!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:20 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Thanks, but next time, if you don't mind, let's jusk skip the (TIC) foreplay.
Oh come on - it's better than being ignored. How'd you like it, BTW??

Originally Posted by ltc
What about them? Come on, it's probably just another one of those internet forum rumors, like "!" and Racer's Tape and Maglites
If you come around my car with some sort of transmitter, I'll take you for a quick ride on a set of Avid SUV tires.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 AM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Really? Surely you jest. Now let me get this straight, it's called a 'tow hook' and it 'screws into the bumper'? I better write this down.
Why don't other Porsches come with this unique feature?

Queue, MadFox....

I'm not sure if your directing this at me or to the original poster.

I have read the manual and that is why I brought it up. The hook is there to pull the Cayenne onto a flatbed.

Perhaps the Cayenne you never owned didn't have that feature?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
I'm not sure if your directing this at me or to the original poster.

I have read the manual and that is why I brought it up. The hook is there to pull the Cayenne onto a flatbed.

Perhaps the Cayenne you never owned didn't have that feature?
There was no problem getting the car up onto the flatbed, with or without the tow hook. I didn't want to use the tow hook in the rear because the way the chains were arranged on the truck, it looked like they would have scratched the hell out of my bumper, so Plan B was initiated.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Really? Surely you jest. Now let me get this straight, it's called a 'tow hook' and it 'screws into the bumper'? I better write this down.
Why don't other Porsches come with this unique feature?

Queue, MadFox....

Hey.. I'm happy to "pile on" but my mantra is that we still need a RTFT (read the f--- threads) emoticon..

oh forum babysitter.. just what is the status on that request for "RTFT!"?

Quick Reply: A Cayenne Story