Sponsored by:

A Cayenne Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:22 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A Cayenne Story

Okay, a great day for college football in the midwest, nice and dreary and cool. But hey, my beloved alma mater kicked a$$ and I was hauling same home toward my suburban Chicago abode.

38 miles from home - "Tha-thunk!"

I have heard that before. Usually it is nothing but SOMETIMES it is something, like The Riddler putting a roofing nail in a small piece of plywood right in front of your tire, and then you hitting it.

36.5 miles from home. As I am rounding a curve on the interstate, my PSM light flashes on the dash. Hmmm. Oh well, HELLO, there was no traction issue on the road, obviously, so something weird must be happening that I might mention to the dealer.

35.5 miles from home, I am on a right hand sweeper on the interstate (I-294 for you midwesterners), and BOOM, at 85 mph - I lose it. Why? I mean, for one second, I thought it was black ice. But it is 60 degrees out!

So - bottom line, my left rear tire has exploded. PSM saves my pink rear before I can fully process what is going on. I pull to the shoulder across 5 lanes of traffic.

[Thank you, Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, for personally overseeing the design of the Cayenne, so as to live up to the tradition of fine Porsche sports cars]

NOTE: what is in brackets is for Lewis and the like, to drive them out of their gourds.

Anyway, not much to say about the aftermath, except that the towing company could not find anything in the rear to hook to, and then whan I got in the tow truck, the guy asked me if I was a brain surgeon - I guess 'cuz of the car. But I started talking about motorcycles, and the 22mi ride home was okay. I paid 200 bucks to ride in that truck - but the guy had 5 motorcycles and he told me about each of them.

Moral of the story? Who knows.

Don't run over stuff.
When the game is over, tailgate for 2 hours, max.
Do NOT turn PSM off.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't run over stuff.
Do NOT turn PSM off.

Not necessarily in that order......
Old 10-28-2007, 02:11 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moral of the story?

Don't put quotes in brackets to attempt to **** others off (drive them out of their gourds) - such trolling just makes you look foolish.

Glad everything worked out for you - yes PSM is very cool (have it on all my cars) but it is nice to turn it off on the track - or even just to have the option in case of stuck in snow/mud, etc.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:51 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by T2

Don't run over stuff.
Do NOT turn PSM off.

Not necessarily in that order......
Also, I left a couple out!

-TPMS might not be a bad idea - it would have avoided a near disaster
-Maybe I should think twice about my tire decisions - There were Yoko "Avid SUV" model that I got with the Techno design wheels. That tire is no longer manufactured. But just a few miles of running low, granted, at high speed, failed the tire completely all around the sidewall. Maybe a higher end tire would have gone flat less dramatically.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the TPMS. It has given me a heads up as to a slow leak that was a nail in the tire. Whereas in the Cayman Convertible, (without TPMS) I heard that "thunk" on the freeway last year and did not think anything of it until the tire was shredded.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Moral of the story?
Don't put quotes in brackets to attempt to **** others off (drive them out of their gourds) - such trolling just makes you look foolish.
No, he'll look even more foolish when he discovers that someone can actually remote program/activate his infotainment system (hint: special keyfob required) to play Barry Manillow's Copa Cabana over and over at Volume 30 and can not be shut off/muted.
Explain that one to the sevice advisor, service manager, PCNA Technical manager, PCNA Technical help desk.......

There's LOTS of flash memory in that network and Porsche can't check exactly what "somebody.....let's just call him Larry" might decide to put in the code image as sort of an Easter Egg.
Sort of like, oh, I don't know, if you hit a certain button sequence on a CDR or PCM, the display will scroll......I hate Dr. W....I hate Dr. W......
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
There's LOTS of flash memory in that network and Porsche can't check exactly what "somebody.....let's just call him Larry" might decide to put in the code image as sort of an Easter Egg.
Sort of like, oh, I don't know, if you hit a certain button sequence on a CDR or PCM, the display will scroll......I hate Dr. W....I hate Dr. W......
$50 for the sequence on a PCM3!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Barry at max volume!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:59 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Larry, how about the Banana Boat Song????
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

On a somewhat related note, this is not really a joke.

In a bid to individualize their infotainment systems, car companies will put into RFQ's desired features like "earcons"......little sounds that occur when you open the door, start the engine, etc.
For instance, Mazda was considering having the audio system play their 'Zoom Zoom' trademarked 'earcon' when you got in the car and started it.

Of course there are some "disturbed individuals" who design these features and then advantage of storing little easter eggs into the systems.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Moral of the story.

If you see the PSM light flashing on the road and you don't understand exactly why then pull over and examine your tires/wheels.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by amaist
Moral of the story.

If you see the PSM light flashing on the road and you don't understand exactly why then pull over and examine your tires/wheels.
Actually, that IS the moral of the story!

As for you other boys who love to take yourselves very seriously, other than the actual story of what happened, the original post was largely TIC with a gentle rib at Lewis who does not like to associate the Cayenne with anything Porsche.

BTW, what ABOUT those codes????????
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Anyway, not much to say about the aftermath, except that the towing company could not find anything in the rear to hook to
Did you know about the tow hook in your toolbox that screws into the bumper?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hk_usp9f
Did you know about the tow hook in your toolbox that screws into the bumper?
Really? Surely you jest. Now let me get this straight, it's called a 'tow hook' and it 'screws into the bumper'? I better write this down.
Why don't other Porsches come with this unique feature?

Queue, MadFox....

Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

As for you other boys who love to take yourselves very seriously, other than the actual story of what happened, the original post was largely TIC with a gentle rib at Lewis who does not like to associate the Cayenne with anything Porsche.
Thanks, but next time, if you don't mind, let's jusk skip the (TIC) foreplay.

BTW, what ABOUT those codes????????
What about them? Come on, it's probably just another one of those internet forum rumors, like "!" and Racer's Tape and Maglites.

Quick Reply: A Cayenne Story