Sponsored by:

Need advice on purchasing CTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice on purchasing CTS

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Cayenne Turbo S with 25k miles. MSRP was 117k, asking price is 80k. This may be the lowest price (and highest mileage) CTS in the country! Anyway, I love the car but wanted to hear from you guys how much (if any) negotiating leverage I've got with those numbers. Thanks. GBG
Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that CTTSs are impossiblel to come by nowadays, but 6 months ago (or was it earlier? Gotta dig up the threads) when they were in abundance, new one could be had below $90k, so something's telling me that it's not that great of a price.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 PM
GBG
Pro

Enigma, thanks for the reply. I did my homework and really couldn't find any for less than $90k unless they had well over 5k miles. And there are very few to choose from in the entire county. A new one (less than 100 mi) is over $100k. Either the market has changed in the last 6 months or else I'm just not looking hard enough.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll go through my Cayenne X Files folder to see if I still have the faxes from few west coast dealerships with CTTS offers. I remember an offer for a base 2006 CTT for $81k, which when we decided not to get was brought down even lower. I also recall that the difference between that CTT & CTTS was less than $10k. BUT, you're right, they're hard to come buy, so the prices might have ... gone up?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Cayenne Turbo S with 25k miles. MSRP was 117k, asking price is 80k. This may be the lowest price (and highest mileage) CTS in the country! Anyway, I love the car but wanted to hear from you guys how much (if any) negotiating leverage I've got with those numbers. Thanks. GBG
I have seen a low mileage <10k CTS' with asking prices of mid 70s in the last few months while looking for a used CT. 80k for that many miles doesn't seem reasonable for a car that was leaving dealer lots in the low 90s.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

There was an add in the Wall Street Journal last friday (car ad section, forget which dealer, but they have an add everyweek ), for a brand new '06 turbo S for $85,000. It will probably be in tomorrow again.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 PM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

I just looked on Autotrader and Dupont Registry to see these under $80K Turbo S's and found none. You guys are being a little over zealous with these prices I think. The least expensive one was $89xxx with 76 miles and the others were in the $90's. I think $80k with 25k miles is an excellent deal. Even regular Turbos were in the mid $80's.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 AM
GBG
Pro

Thanks gus, but GDF is right. At the moment, there are NO CTSs to be found under 80k on the East coast (regardless of mileage). Very low mileage CTSs are going for mid $90s. Maybe I should wait a few months for the market to cool down? The other thing I'm thinking is maybe it's worth paying an extra $10-12k to get a CTS with 1k miles rather than save that money and get one with 25k? On the other hand, the one I'm looking at is certified, so CPO warranty runs until 2012 or 100k miles. Tough call.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
ozcav
Instructor

Originally Posted by GDF-TT
I just looked on Autotrader and Dupont Registry to see these under $80K Turbo S's and found none. You guys are being a little over zealous with these prices I think. The least expensive one was $89xxx with 76 miles and the others were in the $90's. I think $80k with 25k miles is an excellent deal. Even regular Turbos were in the mid $80's.
The reserve on this one is 76k. I had another one I was watching on cars.com I think that was 68k or so with 25k miles. Regular 06 turbos are available in the mid 70s or better from p-car dealers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=020

Pay whatever you want. You asked what typical prices were.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:14 PM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

GBG, where in Westchester are you? I am in Northern Westchester and work in W.P.........
Old 10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks Ozcav. How do you know the reserve is 76k? That's a good deal if true; Texas is a bit too far for me. The one on cars.com for 68k with 25k miles is mismarked-- I'm pretty sure that's a turbo (not a turbo S). I'll keep hunting, but I think prices are pretty much $80k and up for CTSs on the East Coast.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:24 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GDF-TT
I just looked on Autotrader and Dupont Registry to see these under $80K Turbo S's and found none. You guys are being a little over zealous with these prices I think. The least expensive one was $89xxx with 76 miles and the others were in the $90's. I thin $80k with 25k miles is an excellent deal. Even regular Turbos were in the mid $80's.
My experience has been one ofr surprise with dealers and their willingness to drop asking prices. I think many a P car dealer will leave a higher price on the listing, but take a fair bit off this, once you push. (They live in eternal hope of a Russian or Saudi Prince) Twice I have offered dealers prices well more than 10% below their asking KBB, only for them to reply with acceptance.

I found a 3 below $80k, with far less miles on cars.com and a few more in the low 80's. What color do you want? Silver, gold, blue?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Old 10-26-2007, 12:41 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks Chris. You found a few good deals, but I don't want a blue or beige car. I didn't see a silver. Plus, I'd like to get a CPO warranty in the deal so I'm good until 2012. Also, I need a dealer (not private sale) because I've got a trade. I guess my problem is that I'm being a bit too picky for the real bargains... but thanks, I will keep hunting.

GDF, I'm in Chappaqua...
Old 10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
ozcav
Instructor

Originally Posted by GBG
Thanks Ozcav. How do you know the reserve is 76k? That's a good deal if true; Texas is a bit too far for me. The one on cars.com for 68k with 25k miles is mismarked-- I'm pretty sure that's a turbo (not a turbo S). I'll keep hunting, but I think prices are pretty much $80k and up for CTSs on the East Coast.
I emailed them about the car. I didn't like the color combo though. For the best prices on a good car you have to have patiences and/or be willing to travel. I looked for 4-5 months before I found the right 997 C2S and it was in California. I enjoy looking and I am picky about the car so having to travel and ship is worth it to me if I find the right one.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:05 PM
GBG
Pro

I don't have as much patience as you!

The final terms from the dealer are:

Turbo S with 25k miles (MSRP of $117k) for $77k
Car is cetieified. Factory warranty to 4/2010 or 50k mi followed by CPO warranty to 4/2012 or 100k miles

This is about the best I could do. What do 'ya think? yay or nay? I'd be trading in an '04 x4 4.8is, so I'm leaving a pretty nice truck for a rocket.

Quick Reply: Need advice on purchasing CTS