Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on purchasing CTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I think it is a good deal. I say go for it. It will pair nicely with your TT cab.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems pretty good to me. Did you get it at Pepe? You will love it. I have a 2004 CTT. Amazing ride.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:28 PM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

I had an '03 4.6is and it took me a little while to get used to the CTTS. The handling is better in the Bimmer and the sport mode for the tranny is a heck of a lot better in the Bimmer. The CTTS though is a blast to drive and once you get used to it you will not look back. My commute is down 684 so I have a fun time back and forth. For $77k it is a no brainer in my opinion.
I had relatives in Chappaqua, I am up in Somers. Let us know how you like it when you get it in your driveway....
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Still undecided. 25k mi seems high. Maybe wait until April when demand for SUVs drops? Also, there are lots of ultra low mileage CTSs right now-- maybe in 6 months they will have much more mileage and come down a lot in price? Also, I kinda like my x5 4.8is. Someone push me over the edge one direction or another!

GDF, thanks for the advicwe re: X5-->CTS. Also, unrelated, my 9 year old daughter's soccer team is 12-2; the only team to beat them (twice) was Somers. I watched the games-- your girls can play!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
Still undecided. 25k mi seems high. Maybe wait until April when demand for SUVs drops? Someone push me over the edge one direction or another!
25k is extremely high, even for $77k. Wait it out.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
GBG
Pro

Dealer just came down to $76k, as a "final, final" offer. Enigma, you may be right but I'm really feelin' the gravitational pull of a CTS...
Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

My stance on the issue has been well documented here: stay away from used Cayennes Why would you want to pay that much for a car with 25k on it? I don't get it, but if you're feeling the pull, then you gotta go for it.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 PM
GBG
Pro

My best answer is: car was $117k only 18 months ago; yes it has 25k mi, but it is under warranty for 6 more years and 75,000 more mi (these cars are built to last, no?), and, at 520 hp, it's pefomance as far as SUVs go is second to none should stand the test of time for at least a 3-5 years. If you don't find any of those persuasive, then you win!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:18 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

I win. But you obviously keep coming up with reasons why you just have to have it, so like I said previously, just go for it
Old 10-28-2007, 04:09 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by GDF-TT
"I had an '03 4.6is and it took me a little while to get used to the CTTS. The handling is better in the Bimmer and the sport mode for the tranny is a heck of a lot better in the Bimmer. The CTTS though is a blast to drive and once you get used to it you will not look back..."
...why would someone buy a car, which is worse in... handling and sport mode?...

OZRacing
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Advice?

Don't purchase one.

Save your money and purchase a '08 Cayenne S - put the rest of the money into your track car or buy a track car.

You asked for Advice...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:52 AM
GBG
Pro

Thanks everyone. I hemmed and hawed for a day or so and finally told the dealer no thanks. I LOVE the CTS, but decided (1) October just 'aint the right time to buy an SUV (June/July sounds about right) and (2) 25k miles-- even with a CPO thru 2012/100k-- is still a bit high mileage for my taste.

So, I think I will wait until early summer and buy a Certified CTS with 5k miles and live happily ever after. Of coourse, I have been reading about the 08 Cayennne GTS...
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by GDF-TT
...I had an '03 4.6is and it took me a little while to get used to the CTTS. The handling is better in the Bimmer and the sport mode for the tranny is a heck of a lot better in the Bimmer. The CTTS though is a blast to drive and once you get used to it you will not look back...

Originally Posted by ozr
...why would someone buy a car, which is worse in... handling and sport mode?...

OZRacing
...where did GDF-TT go?... above question/comment is for you...

OZRacing
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by ozr

OZRacing
My guess: CTTS does 0-60 in 4.8 sec. The x5 4.8is does it in 5.9.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
GDF-TT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ozr

OZRacing
Well, honestly if I had to do it all over again I might not. My '03 4.6is had 65k miles and was starting to loosen up a bit. It seemed to be on the down side and I was ready for something new. I took meticulous care of it and I wanted a new X5 but some sort of "M" version or "is" with more power. BMW did not come out with that so my only option was the Cayenne. Since they were discounting the CTTS so much I figured what the hell. I bought it sight unseen and had only test driven a CTT once. At first it felt like a boat and there is no sport mode for the tranny except taking off the traction control. I missed the handling and tranny mode but the more I drove the CTTS, the more I got used to it. It has bodyroll but hugs the turns pretty well. The power is very addictive and is its biggest selling point. The tranny flat out sucks and I am now shifting it manually more to keep it in the right gear. Starting out in second all the time is horrible and it shifts into third so quickly and at the wrong time. Overall, it is a great SUV and I can't wait to enjoy the ice cold temps with those turbos. Oh and did I mention how much of a PITA it is to put the back seats down, has no bluetooth......

Quick Reply: Need advice on purchasing CTS